What's new

How to go about making own mod with transplant chip?

sircumsized

Postman
How would I go about making my own? I have basic soldering and electronics skills which I gather is pretty much all I need in terms of soldering the wires correctly.

However, I do not have access to a 3D printer (nor do I want a 3D printed mod) or a mill.

I'm aware you can purchase the basic aluminium box however you will need it milled in order to fit the 510 and the buttons for the chip, how can I go about doing that?

Note: Considering transplanting the FSK chip to make a dual 21700 mod like this guy did over here.

You don't need a mill for an alluminium enclosure, even if you want a flush fit 510 (but for that you do at least need a drill press)

Of course better tools make for much easier and cleaner work, but simple designs are possible with very little

You can use a cordless drill for button holes (use a step drill bit) and the 510 aswell as basic metal files for cut outs for screens (pre drill smaller and work outwards) - it's just more work and harder to get clean but all the mods I made for a long time used nothing else - I would pout about an hour into drilling and filling for a screen and USB (including masking it all and marking ect)

The hard part was (for me anyway) things like mounting screw holes that need to be exact, but that can be worked around by mounts and epoxy

I've attached the first box I made, raised 510, voltmeter and (not in pic) the old USB port for a (now broken and removed) charger all done with a £15 drill and £5 file I got from a bargain shop - but the mod is a fair age now, still works solid and the only change I'd make if I were to rebuild it would be the flush 510 instead of raised, but that is purely cosmetic

Attachments

• 15167045027221952132226.jpg
    15167045027221952132226.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
@jock1092 is right you can do it all with some patience and planning

the best method is to imagine the finished product in your mind and work backward from that

remember the 6 "P" which are

Proper
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

I'm all in favor of people doing mods, remember to stay safe with batteries and ask questions on here lots of folks will help you along the way

good luck

@jock1092 is right you can do it all with some patience and planning

the best method is to imagine the finished product in your mind and work backward from that

remember the 6 "P" which are

Proper
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

I'm all in favor of people doing mods, remember to stay safe with batteries and ask questions on here lots of folks will help you along the way

good luck
That's the first time I've heard of the 6p rule since my college joinery teacher, who found a way to demonstrate it every day

Back
Top Bottom