What's new

how harmful is vaping?

aloutos

Initiate
hey guys,
just wanted to ask how harmful vaping really is? any new studies from scientists? is popcorn lung a myth?
i know its wayyy safer than smoking, but how harmful is it? what about those eliquids and the chemicals inside?

How harmful - not yet known. Compared to cigarettes though - at least 95% safer according to PHE and for most of us, ex-smokers, that's the beautiful thing :) We still get nic but we don't get the problems that are known killers with cigarettes.

One of the biggest ones for me is the lack of DNA mutations observed in lab tests with vapour vs smoke. Zero mutations observed in tests where cells where exposed to very high levels of vapour for a long amount of time. Cell mutations lead to cancer and it is this side effect of smoking that always had me the most worried. Of course as a smoker of 27 years I could still get hit with this as once a cell's DNA is damaged then this can lead to it turning cancerous at any point - but at least with vaping I am not introducing more cell damage and increasing the likelihood of cancer in the future. Have a look at this from 2016:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...using-dna-mutations-absent-in-vape-tests.html

In terms of the unknowns of vaping - how exactly vaping can be damaging us - here is a good on on the effects on the lungs - https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...2-09_polosa-s-no-negative-harms-findings.html

Popcorn lung - not much chance of this being an issue - and certainly no finding of it so far and some people have been vaping for quite a while now. The industry is also working more to remove the components that are thought might cause this so I expect the risks for this will decrease for vapers over time.

There may be things that we haven't considered so far that may be damaging us long-term but we'll see. If you are risk averse then don't vape. Or go outside. Or have gas or electricity in your house. Or eat food past its sell by date. Or breathe unfiltered air. In fact we might as well all kill ourselves now just in case something happens to us in the future ;)

Popcorn Lung is a real condition but it's not an easy thing to get and you don't get it from vaping (or even smoking for that matter)

The rest is an impossible question to answer, yes it's 'safer' (I prefer less harmful) than smoking and that's why we do it. .. and for a lot of us by the time any long term effects might become apparent we'll be dead and gone anyway (or would have been if we'd carried on smoking) ... we do know that the best thing for your lungs to inhale is clean fresh air, so it's a choice you have to make.

How harmful - not yet known. Compared to cigarettes though - at least 95% safer according to PHE and for most of us, ex-smokers, that's the beautiful thing :) We still get nic but we don't get the problems that are known killers with cigarettes.

One of the biggest ones for me is the lack of DNA mutations observed in lab tests with vapour vs smoke. Zero mutations observed in tests where cells where exposed to very high levels of vapour for a long amount of time. Cell mutations lead to cancer and it is this side effect of smoking that always had me the most worried. Of course as a smoker of 27 years I could still get hit with this as once a cell's DNA is damaged then this can lead to it turning cancerous at any point - but at least with vaping I am not introducing more cell damage and increasing the likelihood of cancer in the future. Have a look at this from 2016:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...using-dna-mutations-absent-in-vape-tests.html

In terms of the unknowns of vaping - how exactly vaping can be damaging us - here is a good on on the effects on the lungs - https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...2-09_polosa-s-no-negative-harms-findings.html

Popcorn lung - not much chance of this being an issue - and certainly no finding of it so far and some people have been vaping for quite a while now. The industry is also working more to remove the components that are thought might cause this so I expect the risks for this will decrease for vapers over time.

There may be things that we haven't considered so far that may be damaging us long-term but we'll see. If you are risk averse then don't vape. Or go outside. Or have gas or electricity in your house. Or eat food past its sell by date. Or breathe unfiltered air. In fact we might as well all kill ourselves now just in case something happens to us in the future ;)
yes i read those before submitting the thread :)
i never was a smoker, i just vape with 0mg nicotine, not even everyday..just was curious because its too good to be true.. i mean 95% safer than smoking..its good very good..i mean smokers have another solution if they cant quit and for vapers thats wonderful

Popcorn Lung is a real condition but it's not an easy thing to get and you don't get it from vaping (or even smoking for that matter)

The rest is an impossible question to answer, yes it's 'safer' (I prefer less harmful) than smoking and that's why we do it. .. and for a lot of us by the time any long term effects might become apparent we'll be dead and gone anyway (or would have been if we'd carried on smoking) ... we do know that the best thing for your lungs to inhale is clean fresh air, so it's a choice you have to make.
ye i was worried about lungs..maybe in future tests something will be revealed..hope its good news!!

ye i was worried about lungs..maybe in future tests something will be revealed..hope its good news!!

The second link is about the lungs - have a look! Anecdotally I have heard that people have considered that a bigger issue than the lungs - which are made to filter shite out - is the effect on the liver by heavy vapers. The liver is also a filter, and the effects on it from vaping 100ml of juice a day, are not known. The best way to make sure you don't get affected by this in the long term is to create less vapour, don't vape at 150W constantly and consume as much juice as you humanly can, choose a more moderate set up and increase your nic levels if you struggle to stay off the smokes.

We live in a very litigious society, so no-one is prepared to fully commit and say vaping is virtually harmless. It's always spoken of in relation to smoking.

Add to that the vested interests of influential bodies like the BMA and the potential harm is exaggerated.

What's obvious is that there is nothing better than clean air, but that's impossible for anybody living in a crowded city, and tests have shown that vapour contains fewer toxins than city air.

I'd me more concerned about possible side effects - for instance, there is a known link between plaque and heart attacks and vaping could definitely lead to an increase in plaque.

If smoking is 100% stupid because of the dangers to health, then vaping is likely to turn out in the long term to be 5% stupid, more or less.
Only time will tell how stupid it really is.
As an ex smoker I am happy to be making a choice that is a lot less stupid.
What is right for you depends on your tolerance for stupid decisions.

I’m definitely not an expert, but it seems to me that the biggest unknown when it comes to potential harm would be flavour concentrates.

I do use them, because I like flavour. But I’ve been planning to try unflavoured juice for a wee while, since @eightbitraptor suggested it in another thread. Still to get round to it, might try it when some nic salts I’m waiting on arrive.

From the various things I’ve read, and anecdotal evidence from myself and accounts I read here and elsewhere, I’m certain vaping is very much less harmful than smoking.

Back
Top Bottom