What's new

Ailments u thought u got through vaping !

@eyeball kid , @Rob . I am type 1 diabetic for almost 39 years now loads of diabetes related problems no vape related issues but some caused through 27 years of smoking. Anyway i am almost 3 years in as a vaper now and i am on an insulin pump. During the 3 years of vaping and most of those sub ohm mostly 70 plus% vg liquids i have not noticed any problems with changes in blood sugar readings.
Lets just look at it this way. 10 grams of carbohydrate will alter blood sugar by 3 mmol non diabetics blood sugar is around 4.5mmol and upto 7mmol after eating before the insulin starts to kick in and break down and convert the carbs.
So first MTL vaping i will use 50ml a week dunno if people who mtl use that much a week probably less but anyway the amount of sugars in 50ml will be a small amount, so small it won't make any difference i doubt it would increase average blood sugar by even 0.1 mmol a day.
Sub ohm with high vg really doesn't alter my blood sugar by much again maybe 0.1 mmol a day by the look of my HBA1C test (average blood sugar over 3 months).
I can't really be sure of any difference to people with type 2 diabetes as it is a different ball park to be fair but if you have concerns try writing down how much you vape a day in mls and what you eat. test blood sugar every hour you are awake then do the same next day eat exactly the same amount of carbs but eat exactly the same foods as you ate the previous day except miss out a 10 grams of carbs somewhere, ie eat 1 buscuit instead of 2 or do not drink any tea or coffee the milk contains carbs so stick to water and test blood sugar hourly. You will then have 2 days results to compare which should answer the question of wether vaping increases your blood sugar oh and avoid alcohol as it also affects blood sugar drastically for some diabetics more so type 1 as it can react with insulin and cause low sugar, or you might get a higher blood sugar due to the sugar that isn't converted to alcohol.
Hope this is helpful. i am not a expert but had to go on a course before i went on the insulin pump and learned quite a lot i never knew before part of which was how to look for changes in blood sugar caused by stuff like different meds, foods etc
Always good to have some more real life experiences buddy. Will help to build a long term picture. I sent a selection of juices to catalent last week for sugar profile testing. I haven't had the final results back yet but I've had the verbal confirmation of" Hell yes" we've found sugar in these. Hoping to get them to do a little testing against current data on transmucosul sugar transfer (a fancy name for can sugar pass via the lungs to the bloodstream and how effectively).
By no means is this to point a finger, just an out of intrest test. Also at this meagre level it will hold no water but may be interesting.
Thanks crusty.

Always good to have some more real life experiences buddy. Will help to build a long term picture. I sent a selection of juices to catalent last week for sugar profile testing. I haven't had the final results back yet but I've had the verbal confirmation of" Hell yes" we've found sugar in these. Hoping to get them to do a little testing against current data on transmucosul sugar transfer (a fancy name for can sugar pass via the lungs to the bloodstream and how effectively).
By no means is this to point a finger, just an out of intrest test. Also at this meagre level it will hold no water but may be interesting.
Thanks crusty.

It is an important area to consider my main concern with sugar and lungs is as diabetics we know that one of the main things sugar damages are blood vessels and nerves. The lungs have plenty of blood vessels as they get oxygen into the bloodstream. Sugar could damage these over time and nerve damage at the point of entry could also happen to even none diabetics over time especially if it is a high amount of sugar, that said smoking is obviously as bad if not far worse. But the sugars in eliquids could be a cause for the 5% dangers of vaping that are so far unproven. Time will tell and hopefully there will be studys done on it. Lets just hope there is no real danger, fingers crossed

I'm also a type 1 diabetic have been for 23 years. Been vaping for 2.5 years now and not noticed blood sugars been effected.

@eyeball kid , @Rob . I am type 1 diabetic for almost 39 years now loads of diabetes related problems no vape related issues but some caused through 27 years of smoking. Anyway i am almost 3 years in as a vaper now and i am on an insulin pump. During the 3 years of vaping and most of those sub ohm mostly 70 plus% vg liquids i have not noticed any problems with changes in blood sugar readings.
Lets just look at it this way. 10 grams of carbohydrate will alter blood sugar by 3 mmol non diabetics blood sugar is around 4.5mmol and upto 7mmol after eating before the insulin starts to kick in and break down and convert the carbs. A 150ml of Coca cola is 10 grams of carbs and thats loaded with sugar so 50 ml of eliquid will be a lot less than 10 grams of carbs.
So first MTL vaping i will use 50ml a week dunno if people who mtl use that much a week probably less but anyway the amount of sugars in 50ml will be a small amount, so small it won't make any difference i doubt it would increase average blood sugar by even 0.1 mmol a day.
Sub ohm with high vg really doesn't alter my blood sugar by much again maybe 0.1 mmol a day by the look of my HBA1C test (average blood sugar over 3 months).
I can't really be sure of any difference to people with type 2 diabetes as it is a different ball park to be fair but if you have concerns try writing down how much you vape a day in mls and what you eat. test blood sugar every hour you are awake then do the same next day eat exactly the same amount of carbs but eat exactly the same foods as you ate the previous day except miss out a 10 grams of carbs somewhere, ie eat 1 buscuit instead of 2 or do not drink any tea or coffee the milk contains carbs so stick to water and test blood sugar hourly. You will then have 2 days results to compare which should answer the question of wether vaping increases your blood sugar oh and avoid alcohol as it also affects blood sugar drastically for some diabetics more so type 1 as it can react with insulin and cause low sugar, or you might get a higher blood sugar due to the sugar that isn't converted to alcohol.
Hope this is helpful. i am not a expert but had to go on a course before i went on the insulin pump and learned quite a lot i never knew before part of which was how to look for changes in blood sugar caused by stuff like different meds, foods etc
Hi mate. tell me to fuck off if you like but I'd be interested to know how you get on with the insulin pump. Been wanting one for years but for some reason never gone for one. My last appointment I discussed getting one and was told I could but I'd have to do a DAFNE course first, still waiting to hear back about that.

Be nice to hear from some one who uses one instead of what the diabetes team tell me at the hospital.

Sorry to go off topic

Hi mate. tell me to fuck off if you like but I'd be interested to know how you get on with the insulin pump. Been wanting one for years but for some reason never gone for one. My last appointment I discussed getting one and was told I could but I'd have to do a DAFNE course first, still waiting to hear back about that.

Be nice to hear from some one who uses one instead of what the diabetes team tell me at the hospital.

Sorry to go off topic
pm'd you mate

Sorry for reopening an older thread, but I found this discussion fascinating and important. I've been thinking about dipping my toes into DIYing my own juice, primarily for the reason that I find most pre-mades just waaaaay too sweet (but saving money would be nice too, and I definitely like the idea of playing with and tweaking recipes). I prefer fruit flavours, and I'm not a fan of bakeries at all, but even then I find them a bit overly sweet. Haven't found an apple liquid yet that had the crisp, sour bite of actual apples, but instead just tastes like apple sweets. Never developed a taste for sweets as a kid as I was allergic to a bunch of food colourings, hence why I avoid coloured e-liquiid too; it gives me a really scratchy, inflamed throat.

I hadn't realised that e-liquid contained actual sugars ever (just assumed it was always some form of synthetic sweetener) and thus had never considered the possibility of it effecting people with diabetes. While I'm not, I do have a family history of it (seriously who doesn't have a family history of diabetes, heart disease and cancer now-a-days?) and try to limit my intake of refined sugar. I have held the concern in the back of my head, though, that whilst the links between saccharin and cancer in the 70s turned out to be false, I'm still always nervous about how concentrates, sweeteners, etc. that make up e-liquid that are perfectly safe when consumed as food may effect us when inhaled.

Does anyone have any links to studies on the differing ways we consume these chemicals and the possibility of altered effects through forms of delivery? Further, for the DIYers who contributed to this thread, anything obvious to look out for and avoid in flavourings, etc. (other than diacetyl)?

Sorry for reopening an older thread, but I found this discussion fascinating and important. I've been thinking about dipping my toes into DIYing my own juice, primarily for the reason that I find most pre-mades just waaaaay too sweet (but saving money would be nice too, and I definitely like the idea of playing with and tweaking recipes). I prefer fruit flavours, and I'm not a fan of bakeries at all, but even then I find them a bit overly sweet. Haven't found an apple liquid yet that had the crisp, sour bite of actual apples, but instead just tastes like apple sweets. Never developed a taste for sweets as a kid as I was allergic to a bunch of food colourings, hence why I avoid coloured e-liquiid too; it gives me a really scratchy, inflamed throat.

I hadn't realised that e-liquid contained actual sugars ever (just assumed it was always some form of synthetic sweetener) and thus had never considered the possibility of it effecting people with diabetes. While I'm not, I do have a family history of it (seriously who doesn't have a family history of diabetes, heart disease and cancer now-a-days?) and try to limit my intake of refined sugar. I have held the concern in the back of my head, though, that whilst the links between saccharin and cancer in the 70s turned out to be false, I'm still always nervous about how concentrates, sweeteners, etc. that make up e-liquid that are perfectly safe when consumed as food may effect us when inhaled.

Does anyone have any links to studies on the differing ways we consume these chemicals and the possibility of altered effects through forms of delivery? Further, for the DIYers who contributed to this thread, anything obvious to look out for and avoid in flavourings, etc. (other than diacetyl)?

there's a lot to cover here but one important thing ..... the ingredients in e-liquid should never be considered 'safe' to inhale let alone 'perfectly safe' ...although I wouldn't be 'always nervous' either, all the evidence we have right now says it's a lot, lot better for you than smoking and everything in e-liquid will do you much less harm than smoking. For most of us, that's all that's important really. If you really wanted to be sure you could just vape unflavored liquid and get the nicotine you need like that. I think the flavorings and other additives will be decades before we know anything conclusive for the long term, people just haven't be vaping long enough. I'm pretty convinced they won't be good for you but neither is a lot of the food we consume either. ... and I'll probably be long gone anyway.

there's a lot to cover here but one important thing ..... the ingredients in e-liquid should never be considered 'safe' to inhale let alone 'perfectly safe' ...although I wouldn't be 'always nervous' either, all the evidence we have right now says it's a lot, lot better for you than smoking and everything in e-liquid will do you much less harm than smoking. For most of us, that's all that's important really. If you really wanted to be sure you could just vape unflavored liquid and get the nicotine you need like that. I think the flavorings and other additives will be decades before we know anything conclusive for the long term, people just haven't be vaping long enough. I'm pretty convinced they won't be good for you but neither is a lot of the food we consume either. ... and I'll probably be long gone anyway.

Thanks for your reply, Simon. All fair points. Yep, number one priority is not smoking, and I'm happy to take the oft quoted 95% less harmful (emphasis on less harmful than safe) as the best current, and open to revision, knowledge that we have at the moment. It's just that I hadn't considered the points raised in this thread and it got my brain ticking over while eating lunch and taking a look at part of the forum I hadn't before. It's interesting food for thought (no pun intended).

If nothing else, it's made me decide to a) start keeping my eyes peeled for good science on the issue of vaping vs eating flavourings and their effects; and b) crack on with DIYing liquid sooner rather than later, skin test the flavour concentrates to see if they provoke a reaction, and if not mix up a few mls of liquid with each new flavour I try on it's own to vape ad rule out irritation before starting recipes (yes, I know unsteeped, single flavour liquid will likely taste disgusting, but I can live with it to test before adding to recipes).

Back
Top Bottom