What's new

Review Cthulhu - Hastur MTL RTA - A Very Very Good tank

Simon G

Olympian
This tank was sent to me free of charge for the purpose of review and the following opinions are mine alone and my genuine experiences with this tank.

I won't bore you with the specs of this tank because they are already out there for everyone to see so I'll concentrate on my actual experiences of using this tank which I've been using non-stop since it arrived.

My first feelings on the tank were very positive on opening the box, I know looks are subjective but personally I think this is a very handsome looking tank, it's a good size and juice capacity without looking overly huge on a small mod like my epetite.

The presentation is good and it comes with a spare/alternative frosted glass which is a nice touch and adds just a little something extra, the spare o-rings are all clear (the same as the ones fitted) which is better than having a load of colours you really hate or don't match the tank (Siren 2, I'm looking at you)

WP_20171201_12_36_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20171201_12_37_28_Pro.jpg

The tank also comes with a selection of airflow reducers which we've seen similar before and they do work really well, I was also sent another pack or alternative reducers, some with multiple smaller holes. There were a little fiddly to inset and get straight under the coil but nothing that can't be over come with a pair of pointy tweezers so not a big deal.

WP_20171201_12_38_55_Pro.jpg

The top fill system is really good on this tank and I think it's one of the best designs I've seen and is generally very easy to use with it's twist mechanism.

In use this tank has been brilliant, the biggest issue for me with RTA's is always leaking, weeping and flooding and I'm happy to say I have had ZERO issues of that nature, even after filling, leaving to stand over night and even leaving on it's side while I had a bath.... it's absolutely dry as a bone after having several re-fills with the same coil and cotton.

... and yes, it is a 'proper' MTL tank, some of the inserts are very tiny, too small for me I would imagine but would be perfect for people who like a tight draw, it does make the large cyclops air adjustment pretty redundant but if you prefer a big hole under the coil it might make more sense to you. ... but it does offer some level of adjustment outside of the tank which is a good thing, I think I would have preferred a few smaller holes than big slots but it's not a deal breaker.

....lets have a closer look at the supplied tips...

WP_20171201_12_43_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20171201_12_43_36_Pro.jpg

These tips feel and look really nice but I do have issues with the narrower bore version, the wider one (which is still narrow) matches the airflow coming into it perfectly....

WP_20171201_12_44_22_Pro.jpg

however the narrow one creates condensation build up under and in the tip and while trying that version I did get drips of liquid in my mouth, so I'd suggest using the other one which performs perfectly.

I found this tank really easy to wick and coil and my first build I put in it (a 2.5mm spaced coil made of 26awg kanthal) performed really well. The flavour was as good as anything else I own and better than others I own, which probably means it's about as good as it gets. The airflow is super smooth and it's a joy to vape with very satisfying flavour and vapour.

WP_20171201_12_39_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20171201_12_40_07_Pro.jpg

Overall I've been very impressed with this tank and other than the very narrow bore tip (which doesn't really work) I don't have anything negative to say about it. I've been more than happy using this for the last 3 or 4 days and haven't felt the need to pick up one of my older tanks. It does what it's supposed to do with minimal fuss and doesn't leak, dribble, flood or gurgle which is all I really look for in a tank. It's also very well made and everything feels well machined and to a good tolerance.

The tank has a 3.5mm capacity so I presume you won't be seeing this sold in UK shops sadly but obviously it's available from your usual Chinese online vaping stores and I would highly recommend picking one up if you are looking for a good MTL RTA..... I wish I had more to say but to be honest this tank really surprised me by how good it is (after my previous 'not so good' experiences with this companies products)

This is without a doubt tank of the year for me (at least until I try an Ares) for how I vape it couldn't really be any better which really is high praise as it's quite rare that something impresses me this much, it's not that it's ground breaking or anything BUT it just works and works well which is the important thing, It has a few small things that I think could have been done better (the inserts, the AFC, the narrower tip) but that doesn't in anyway take away from how the tank performs and how nice it is to live with on a day to day basis.

A very strong big thumbs up from me and it's really good to see Cthulhu back on track as I think they make really cool looking stuff that's manufactured well. ..... and again It doesn't leak, dribble or flood!!! (can you tell that's important to me?)

Big thanks to @cthulhumod for sending me this tank and I'm happy that I could give it a very positive review.

Top Tank..... nuff said. ;)

It sounds good. In the photo, the topcap and drip tip look a bit lopsided. Is it asymmetrical, or is it just the angle of the photo?

Just watched Phil the B'stards ( sorry PBusardo) review of the Hastur - he compares it to the Siren V2. He points out a couple of the drawbacks ...
I'm not a fan of 'air disks' to restrict the airflow and when are they going to get the hang of radial v axial compression of an 'O' ring? Look at his review and make your own mind up.
Simong - looks like you got a duff Siren ...

Just watched Phil the B'stards ( sorry PBusardo) review of the Hastur - he compares it to the Siren V2. He points out a couple of the drawbacks ...
I'm not a fan of 'air disks' to restrict the airflow and when are they going to get the hang of radial v axial compression of an 'O' ring? Look at his review and make your own mind up.
Simong - looks like you got a duff Siren ...

yup, I did get a duff siren but even if I didn't, I still don't prefer it to this.

I've watch Phil's video, I don't really agree with his thumbs down (well they aren't thumb's down for me) I don't think I've ever needed to work on my build while there is juice in the tank, it's just not something I ever do, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The mouth piece for me is perfect, it's pretty much the same size I use on all my tanks. ... the only thing I agree with him is the airflow slots, which I mentioned in my review. I've not been experiencing any noise through the airflow either but that may be just because I'm using a different inset.

I also think this has a much better designed deck than the siren 2 and better flavour (when using the builds I typically use anyway) it looks nicer and I think it feels better quality all round.

For me any minor draw backs in the design are far outweighed by the vape experience. ... with the Siren 2 I don't feel they are, which is why I prefer this. I don't actually think the vape experience with the siren V2 is any better than the V1, which was disappointing.

No problem, this is by far my favourite Cthulhu product so far, it's a really nice well thought out tank. :14:
Nice review buddy.
Would be nice if they re looked at the mtl rda and applied what they can do to that. Would be nice to see some of the big boy's of mtl rta' s focus on the squonk rda' s.

Nice review buddy.
Would be nice if they re looked at the mtl rda and applied what they can do to that. Would be nice to see some of the big boy's of mtl rta' s focus on the squonk rda' s.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this tank, I can see it staying around for a long time ... still not even a dribble of leakage from the air slots and it's been filled about 5 times now, 2 different builds and re-wicked 3 times.... it's very easy to live with.

... yeah, the RDA was a real shame as I thought it looked pretty cool and the top cap thing looked interesting, it just wasn't implemented well. ... if the top airflow had gone down tubes/slots and blasted directly on to the coil it might have been better, it just made no sense how it was to me.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this tank, I can see it staying around for a long time ... still not even a dribble of leakage from the air slots and it's been filled about 5 times now, 2 different builds and re-wicked 3 times.... it's very easy to live with.

... yeah, the RDA was a real shame as I thought it looked pretty cool and the top cap thing looked interesting, it just wasn't implemented well. ... if the top airflow had gone down tubes/slots and blasted directly on to the coil it might have been better, it just made no sense how it was to me.
Yep just no top airflow and a socket for the mtl reducers in the side opposite the coil would have been something special. I don't know how they can get rta' s of all sizes spot on yet go so very wrong on a fundamental level with the rda.

Straightforward, excellent review though mate that will attract more customers for them than most of the outlandish you tube video's.

Back
Top Bottom