What's new

Ailments u thought u got through vaping !

No this one needs to keep serious and I'd appreciate any input on it from anyone with dental issues who find they can't vape a juice due to teeth pain or anyone with blood sugar issues who have had inconsistent readings with certain juices.

I will defend vaping to death as a healthier substitute for smoking but to believe it comes with no risk is fanciful.

Thing's in the vape world are changing increasingly quickly and not all the juice manufacturers are as focused on making a good safe eliquid anymore. Without any labelling we have seen the original juices have their sweetening agent changed from non sugar based to sugar filled.
Most previous testing on sugar inhalation has been done with powdered sugar for sugar companies and they have held the results quite close to their chest but the recommendations on smaller particles is to wear masks around the finer production area's (in the western world). I did some consulting in a food factory in the early naughties (you may have seen this adverts for Wiltshire farm foods delivered frozen to your door). Well within the spice an sugar measuring room (which is air locked) you have to wear a full sealled helmet which gets its purified air pumped in via attached hoses.
All recent evidence is showing that the natural sugars within vg are making the jump between the lungs and blood stream but as adding corn syrup is a fairly new thing that seems to be spreading. There's virtually no information yet.
As we have all gotten by just fine for years without real sugar in eliquid if it has the smallest chance of helping big tobacco and pharma land another health warning blow to vaping we need to be on top of it. Eliquid has self regulated very well up to now but I fear this may be a wrong turn.
The long term effects of spraying your teeth with a sugar glaze is now obvious to us and we should at least be able to make that choice but sugars in any amounts finding their way into the bloodstream of diabetics could lead to wrong readings on regular fasting checks. This in turn will lead to the already risky medications of those vapers being adjusted inappropriately causing all kinds of issues.
It certainly needs further investigation.

Aye I totally agree here, and this is partly why I almost exclusively diy and only buy concentrates from particular producers who test for impurities and guarantee no sugars etc. (saving money is most of the other part).

The dental issue is obvious, but I hadn’t actually thought about implications for people with diabetes. Obviously that could have pretty serious consequences.

How about sugars in vg and tooth decay, aside from added sugars in flavouring? That’s not something I’d thought about either.

I can say this, I have had a lot more work needed doing on my little remaining teeth since I started vaping where as I had gone quite a while without any work needed before I vaped (custards mainly with other sweet juices thrown in)
I can't say for sure its vaping and wouldn't make that statement but that's my experience, would love to hear if anyone else has had similar
Mines mainly tooth decay at the gumline [emoji22]
Again not going to blame vaping it could just be me getting older etc

I can say this, I have had a lot more work needed doing on my little remaining teeth since I started vaping where as I had gone quite a while without any work needed before I vaped (custards mainly with other sweet juices thrown in)
I can't say for sure its vaping and wouldn't make that statement but that's my experience, would love to hear if anyone else has had similar
Mines mainly tooth decay at the gumline [emoji22]
Again not going to blame vaping it could just be me getting older etc
Thanks guy's. If nothing else it will be a log that we can look back on. Most of our juice maker's on here are well ahead of the curve on making things as pure as possible but lot's of new players arriving.
I hope it doesn't turn into a let's jump all over people's posts thread. Every awesome thing can have a downside.

I use minerals water for my VG having noticed its less sweet than the other two ive tried.
Lubrisolve and one other that i cant remember the name of atm.
I asked if there was a sweetness comparison for VG when i first joined the forum but didnt get any indication this had ever been done, discussed in any depth, or even really thought of before.
I seem to be sensitive to sweet juices and concentrates so tend to avoid the sweet ones not because im that concious of sugars or sweetners but cos i just tend not to like them.
I make my own juice and have a couple of mates that vape mostly my juice and funnily enough one of them is type 2 so ill see if i remember to quizz him next time we speak.
Re teeth, ive got bad teeth and always have had. Im 43 and lost a few molars already but been vaping exclusively now since jan 2011 and cant say that ive noticed that vaping has had any additional contribution to tooth decay.

I use minerals water for my VG having noticed its less sweet than the other two ive tried.
Lubrisolve and one other that i cant remember the name of atm.
I asked if there was a sweetness comparison for VG when i first joined the forum but didnt get any indication this had ever been done, discussed in any depth, or even really thought of before.
I seem to be sensitive to sweet juices and concentrates so tend to avoid the sweet ones not because im that concious of sugars or sweetners but cos i just tend not to like them.
I make my own juice and have a couple of mates that vape mostly my juice and funnily enough one of them is type 2 so ill see if i remember to quizz him next time we speak.
Re teeth, ive got bad teeth and always have had. Im 43 and lost a few molars already but been vaping exclusively now since jan 2011 and cant say that ive noticed that vaping has had any additional contribution to tooth decay.
I still get stains on my teeth but ten times less than when smoking but I can instantly tell when sugar is present due to a wisdom tooth root that has remained in place and shoots pain like an electric shock when I eat sugar.

I still get stains on my teeth but ten times less than when smoking but I can instantly tell when sugar is present due to a wisdom tooth root that has remained in place and shoots pain like an electric shock when I eat sugar.
Yeah same here i get a mark on one k9 from vaping.
Ive not been to the dentist since i was a kid and with the teeth ive lost it can be quite painful once the nerve becomes exposed. Dont tend to last long as it dies within a week or two just need to be concious to avoid the pain triggers till its dead.

Yeah same here i get a mark on one k9 from vaping.
Ive not been to the dentist since i was a kid and with the teeth ive lost it can be quite painful once the nerve becomes exposed. Dont tend to last long as it dies within a week or two just need to be concious to avoid the pain triggers till its dead.
I know your pain. I had a crooked dentist as a kid who actually filled baby teeth. My old mans mouth looked like metal mickeys arse hole. Caused issues for years. He actually got prison time we later found. Anyway I avoided the dentist for years until a few years back. Luckily my teeth are good but I pulled the wisdom tooth out myself as it cracked and drove me nuts. The root remains which the dentist says would be more trouble to remove than leave. But every now and then the nerve regrows and I have to avoid sugar altogether.

I’m pretty much the same, dodgy dentist as a nipper, never went near a dentist for about 25 years then had to go to emergency dentist twice to get broken molars pulled when the pain was unbearable. Fortunately my teeth are not too bad, part from the missing ones, as I would brush them obsessively to compensate for never going to the dentist.

I think my teeth are a bit better since starting vaping, but that could just be because vaping is less damaging to them than smoking was, of course. I’ve been having a look online but coildn’t really find anything specific about the sugar in vg and how it could affect teeth.

Last edited:
I’m pretty much the same, dodgy dentist as a nipper, never went near a dentist for about 25 years then had to go to emergency dentist twice to get broken molars pulled when the pain was unbearable. Fortunately my teeth are not too bad, part from he missing ones, as I would brush them obsessively to compensate for never going to the dentist.

I think my teeth are a bit better since starting vaping, but that could just be because vaping is less damaging to them than smoking was, of course. I’ve been having a look online but coildn’t really find anything specific about the sugar in vg and how it could affect teeth.
As far as I can see the sugar within vg should be covered with good dental hygiene. It's more the sugar suspended within. Again good dental hygiene should cover most of it but as we vape constantly it may very well lead to cavities if your adv is a high sugar liquid.

@eyeball kid , @Rob . I am type 1 diabetic for almost 39 years now loads of diabetes related problems no vape related issues but some caused through 27 years of smoking. Anyway i am almost 3 years in as a vaper now and i am on an insulin pump. During the 3 years of vaping and most of those sub ohm mostly 70 plus% vg liquids i have not noticed any problems with changes in blood sugar readings.
Lets just look at it this way. 10 grams of carbohydrate will alter blood sugar by 3 mmol non diabetics blood sugar is around 4.5mmol and upto 7mmol after eating before the insulin starts to kick in and break down and convert the carbs. A 150ml of Coca cola is 10 grams of carbs and thats loaded with sugar so 50 ml of eliquid will be a lot less than 10 grams of carbs.
So first MTL vaping i will use 50ml a week dunno if people who mtl use that much a week probably less but anyway the amount of sugars in 50ml will be a small amount, so small it won't make any difference i doubt it would increase average blood sugar by even 0.1 mmol a day.
Sub ohm with high vg really doesn't alter my blood sugar by much again maybe 0.1 mmol a day by the look of my HBA1C test (average blood sugar over 3 months).
I can't really be sure of any difference to people with type 2 diabetes as it is a different ball park to be fair but if you have concerns try writing down how much you vape a day in mls and what you eat. test blood sugar every hour you are awake then do the same next day eat exactly the same amount of carbs but eat exactly the same foods as you ate the previous day except miss out a 10 grams of carbs somewhere, ie eat 1 buscuit instead of 2 or do not drink any tea or coffee the milk contains carbs so stick to water and test blood sugar hourly. You will then have 2 days results to compare which should answer the question of wether vaping increases your blood sugar oh and avoid alcohol as it also affects blood sugar drastically for some diabetics more so type 1 as it can react with insulin and cause low sugar, or you might get a higher blood sugar due to the sugar that isn't converted to alcohol.
Hope this is helpful. i am not a expert but had to go on a course before i went on the insulin pump and learned quite a lot i never knew before part of which was how to look for changes in blood sugar caused by stuff like different meds, foods etc

Back
Top Bottom