What's new

Cigarettes Price Increase

Smut

Veteran
"The price of cigarettes and cigars goes up every year by two percentage points above the rate of inflation. On rolling tobacco it's an extra one percentage point on top of that.

Currently inflation in the UK stands at 2.9% - so the total increase will be 4.9% on a cigarettes and 5.9% on tobacco.

The average price of a pack of 20 cigarettes was £9.91 after the last budget.

Increasing that by a further 4.9% adds 49p to a pack - putting the average price of a pack of 20 up to £10.40.

For a 20 a day smoker, that adds up to an extra £178.85 a year."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...garettes-tobacco-11566388?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Last edited:
what is the fekkin point. i always swore i was going to give up when they hit £1 a packet but as it only goes up by 15-30p each budget then those hooked like most of us just stumped up the extra. i finally gave up when it was £9 a pack and it wasnt the price it was just the right time with the vape actually working.
if they are that desperate to make the whole uk non smoking by 2027 then why dont they ram the price up by 1 or 2 quid a packet each time and put that money back into the nhs.

I was expecting a tax on vaping this time? Didn't hear anything so hopefully not yet?

Which means that when all these smokers switch to vaping and they lose out on the tax they'll start looking at taxation of eliquids.

If they really want us to stop why don’t they just stop selling fags and ban people importing them

Thats just it they don't want people to stop cos the get so much revenue from them

If they really want us to stop why don’t they just stop selling fags and ban people importing them

Simple, if they banned them the country would quickly become bankrupt !
No duty coming in.....................

I switched to rollies years ago. Never had a 20-a-day habit but buying premium cigarettes just became too expensive. Plus, you could make the rolling tobacco last longer.

As has already been said, I didn't stop because of price hikes though. Some people are willing to go without other things to feed the habit. I worry when going without effects others, such as children, and there's no food in the cupboard.

Price hikes and taxes aren't levied to deter smoking, it's just more money in the kitty for old rope.

Back
Top Bottom