What's new

Great new MTL wire for builders

Depends on the resistance the build at.
Usually I build 0.6-0.8 using 15 to 20w

I honestly doubt I’ll try it, can’t see it could be as good for me as 30g at 1.5 and 10 or so watts. Quick heating up and cooling is important for me. Used to hate the sizzling/fizzy sound when I would use clapton wire in my k5.

Clapton wire has always disappointed me. I understand the the principal of more suface area ya da ya da. Juice gets stuck and fried. The exterior wire can run cooler than the internal or vice versa, hot spots can abound in the central wires without you finding them. It's a pig and has never delivered for me. No matter the wattage or style it tends to be about finding the best way to achieve your own prefered heat in the chamber whilst supplying an acceptable amount of vapour. I dare say experts like our smutt can perfectly match the number of wraps per 10ml of wire and balance it with the correct size core wire or wires to get the optimum performance but generic wrapped spools are just that. Pure hit and miss. I will stick to kanthal and nichrome. I've played with steel and it's fine but the ohms fluctuate too much for consistency.
Hope I'm completely wrong though.

Clapton wire has always disappointed me. I understand the the principal of more suface area ya da ya da. Juice gets stuck and fried. The exterior wire can run cooler than the internal or vice versa, hot spots can abound in the central wires without you finding them. It's a pig and has never delivered for me. No matter the wattage or style it tends to be about finding the best way to achieve your own prefered heat in the chamber whilst supplying an acceptable amount of vapour. I dare say experts like our smutt can perfectly match the number of wraps per 10ml of wire and balance it with the correct size core wire or wires to get the optimum performance but generic wrapped spools are just that. Pure hit and miss. I will stick to kanthal and nichrome. I've played with steel and it's fine but the ohms fluctuate too much for consistency.
Hope I'm completely wrong though.

I think you are right about everything else you've said there... so I doubt it. :D

I think you are right about everything else you've said there... so I doubt it. :D
It aligns really with the other thread. 90% of the vape gear we are sold as "must have" is just snake oil. If you like big rda/rta' s with big airflow you need low ohms, high watts and big wires. If you enjoy small rta/rda' s with tight airflow small wire and high ohms are your friend. It's pretty straightforward. The only varient is wicking choice and juice. Once you've found your fave it's just balancing the above to your taste.
Sometimes it takes a while. It's like the le Concorde rda. Everything about it tells me it's going to be excellent but I'm yet to get the balance right and it's just, good.

Don't know the science behind it but it does make a difference to the taste. I have tried different coils in a multitude of tanks and i get the same results.
I doesn't make a difference to me what you guys like as it's each to their own.
It makes a difference because the low resistance coupled with multiple wire strands gives more surface area to vapourise juice - so it is simply a case of more vapourised juice = more flavour. Nothing that cant be replicated in an MTL tank with the correct build. It may make more of a diffrence in DTL tanks and drippers but that's really due to the airflow - big air needs big vapour....

I dare say experts like our smutt can perfectly match the number of wraps per 10ml of wire and balance it with the correct size core wire or wires to get the optimum performance but generic wrapped spools are just that. P

I'm sorry mate but this makes no sense. So you are arguing against the real terms effectiveness of complex against single wire (which I'm willing to accept to a certain extent) but where you draw the line is between hand made and chinese spools of said complex wire? That's like saying all mushrooms are the same, including truffles, except when they are cooked by some wank shelf in central London for the price of a small mortgage. (not comparing @Smut to Gordon Ramsey here!)

Wires are different. I don't know the science behind it but have done the closest to a blind test which is getting my ocd ramped up to 11 and do like 4 builds in the same rda with the same juice in one night, because it never felt "right". And they are completely different. In an airy mofo like the goon or the Kryten complex wires make a world of difference. Why wouldn't it be the same for MTL? It's still down to surface area and how the evaporated juice mixes with air coming in.

What I completely agree with you is that there is no holy grail of wire or build. Each person and rda and juice (pg/vg and, I find, concentration of sugar) will react differently and produce a different experience that will then be perceived individually by each person. So it is hard to give advice.

Less in more with the mtl tanks. I can’t see that a fancy wire could improve on 30awg wire for me. It’s just going to add more mass to the coil which at 8-12 watts doesn’t have any benefit but would have negative effects.

Totally disagree.... I have wayyyyyyyyy better flavour and vapour with a 0.7 homemade clapton coil @ 33-35 watts with my MTL setup.
I don't run my MTL setups any different in any of my tanks.

it-crowd.gif

Totally disagree.... I have wayyyyyyyyy better flavour and vapour with a 0.7 homemade clapton coil @ 33-35 watts with my MTL setup.
I don't run my MTL setups any different in any of my tanks.

0.7 clapton and 35w is more or less my DTL set up! :D

Back
Top Bottom