Vape Superstore
What's new

Sub Ohm wicking coil advice

rob77

Postman
Hi guys

I've just recently got in to sub ohm RTA's (been vaping 3.5 years) but can't for the life of me get a coil to last more than a day without me having to dry burn it and rewick it. My set up is:

OBS Engine Nano
Modefined sirius 200w mod
24awg 316l SS @ 0.3ohm
Cotton bacon v2

I have tried micro coils, staggered coils, clapton coils . On first vape after building it is fine for about a tank full. I then notice a harshness on my throat the next couple. After a few tanks it's impossible to vape as it just burns straight away. I then need to pull out the cotton which isn't discoloured and dry burn the coil which a lot of smoke comes off of and that removes the black residue. Rewick and I'm back to stage 1 which it will be okay for a tank and then hurt my throat again. Also tried tight wicking and loose wicking with the cotton.

An example of the flavours I've tried are blue slush, peach, summer fruits etc. So mainly fruit type flavours all from different manufacturers. Perhaps these are too sweet?

Another thing I thought it might be is the wire. I got it off of ebay and not from stealthvape which I know a lot of people recommend on here. Is there a difference with ss 316l? I did read a post off of here who had a bad throat with 316l which is similar to me.

I only tend to vape at about 30w so not really all that high.

Any advice would be most appreciated :)

Cheers

Smoore
So when you pull the cotton out is it dry? Or completely saturated?

Mind showing us some pics of your build with the cotton in?

Wire might just be some cheap stuff.. I'm a big fan coilology coils, they do a multipack for about tenner which is great value

I sub ohm with them flavours and get weeks pushing 100w. Like already said need to see pic to check if you have enough cotton

AcmeFog
It might be that you are not putting enough power thro' the coil.
The juice might only be getting warm enough on the coils to not vaporise enough of the sweetener junk that some manufacturers put in, thus it leaves a residue on the coil which leads to smoke not vapour going into the mouth hole.

Try upping the wattage to say 40-45W and see if that does anything.

Or, you have a real issue somewhere in the chamber. Post pix of builds before and after so we can see what might be what.

Thanks guys

Here's one I took earlier before I rewicked. This one had actually split in the middle.

bS0Xkb

Innokin
This is it dry burned and rewicked and vaping perfectly fine for now.

Last edited:
For a dry burned coil that still looks quite messy dude

It seems that juice is collecting and gunking up in between the wraps of your coil

Try putting a bit more cotton in the middle of the coil and thinning out the edges

Also as mentioned maybe upping the wattage a bit may help

Vape Green
For a dry burned coil that still looks quite messy dude

It seems that juice is collecting and gunking up in between the wraps of your coil

Try putting a bit more cotton in the middle of the coil and thinning out the edges

Also as mentioned maybe upping the wattage a bit may help

It wasn't straight after I built it. I had puffed on it quite a few times until I realised I needed a pic showing post build and how it looks when it's working. The problem is I vape in TC mode most of the time and my temperature is about 420F and 30w. I will try upping it tomorrow :)

The cotton in the second pic is actually quite tight and I have thinned out the edges. The thing with this cotton bacon is it doesn't seem to expand like muji pads do.

I had really similar issues with tfv8 rba at 30w using a clapton alien wire (cheap stuff), turned the power up to 50w and hey presto awesome vape production and flavour - getting a week to 2 weeks heavy vaping. Just a shame the bugger leaks all over the place

Elux
Back
Top Bottom