What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Do you actually save money after quiting smoking?

Smoking for me, never cost much. About £10-15 a week at most because I really wasn't a heavy smoker. Vaping is costing me a small fortune in comparison and I'm not even going out and buying all this fancy kit, but it definitely does turn into a hobby :)

Used to spend 30 plus quid a week on fags. Been vaping 4 years saved a fortune. I make my own juice nowdays so make significant savings there too.I can vape as much as i like now for around 100 quid a year.(materials for making juice). Excluding mods. Best of all my health is far better so thats the best saving and i enjoy it.

I base my purchases on how many packets of cigarettes it would cost , the difference being at the end of the day with mods and atties you've got something to show for it.

Here in Canada a 25 pack of cigs is $14.00 so with my wife and I smoking 2 packs a day thats over 800 a month. 4 years ago when we quit the price was 650 a month for us to smoke the same 2 packs. I can say I've spent a few thousand on vape gear over the years but with rebuilding my coils and DIY juice we can now vape for less than $15.00 a month. If the liter of 100 nicotine wasn't $150.00 shipped my costs for juice would be considerably less, wire is cheap so coil cost is pennies.

Vape gear and eliquids can indeed end up pretty expensive. Perhaps I'm just cynical, but I can't help feeling that retail pricing is influenced by the massive taxes on cigarettes, which mean you're still saving money even when you pay over the odds for a tiny bottle of eliquid.

As a consequence I went elsewhere, and I've been mixing my own juice for a long time now and finally moved to an RTA a few months ago, so not wasting money on coils either. (And the quality I get with an RTA is so much better than the leaking and clogging I experienced with my old Nautilus I had to kick myself for not switching a lot sooner.) As a result my base cost of vaping supplies has come down to 1 or 2 pounds a week.

Here in Ireland, the cigarettes I was smoking is 11.50 euro for a box of 20. I was smoking a box of 20 a day. There were times depending on my schedule and if there were any stresses or not in my life, I was able to make a box stretch over two days but them days were few and far between. Maybe once a week or once a fortnight.

I was spending the guts of 69 - 80.50 euro a week on cigarettes.

I'm now 15 days vaping. Some trial and error ordering juices online but I found one that I love with a high strength nicotine. I'm off the cigarettes for 12 days too. The first few days were so hard. I was craving the Silk Cuts even though I wanted to give up so bad, I was still craving them. Now, it's a lot better. I'm not craving the Silk Cuts any more and instead I'm craving my juice.

I did the maths here with some rough estimates.

About 40-48 euro a month on juices.

12.50 for a pack of five coils probably every month. I fell in love with a high VG, sweet juice and I read online that, that could shorten the lifespan of coils.

Where as the monthly cost of cigarettes for me would have been 276 - 322 euro a month. That figure is crazy. My wage is very low and I do struggle at times. Its good to reduce one cost from my back. There is a government budget coming up too in October and no doubt the cigarettes will rise in that budget with more tax slapped on a box. I reckon anything will go: 20-50 cents a box.

The initial cost of my device and spare coils and two more spare tanks and juices was expensive but it will hopefully pay off in the long run. All going well, I'll be saving from here on in. I'm 12 days off the cigarettes and would have saved 138 euro since giving them up. I definitely wouldn't have been able to give them up without my device. If I didn't have my vaping e-cig device I would still be spending 11.50 euro a day on cigarettes. Crazy.

Last edited:
yea you sure do ive just had my 1st hoilday in years since i gave up the old coffin nails :vapinape::happy guys:........

for sure now i am saving money now ... here in Egypt the pack of 20 cig is 30 pounds ... i used to have 2 packs a day :(
when i started vaping i was a newbie so i started with i DL tanks and the nicotine dose is not satisfying me so i used to buy 1 bottle a day and that very expensive as it cost me 90 pound a day ... but since i started to use MTL tanks i am using 1 bottle every 10 days an the cost is 100 pounds only
by doing the math i am saving great amount of money now :D

for sure now i am saving money now ... here in Egypt the pack of 20 cig is 30 pounds ... i used to have 2 packs a day :(
when i started vaping i was a newbie so i started with i DL tanks and the nicotine dose is not satisfying me so i used to buy 1 bottle a day and that very expensive as it cost me 90 pound a day ... but since i started to use MTL tanks i am using 1 bottle every 10 days an the cost is 100 pounds only
by doing the math i am saving great amount of money now :D

Hi guys,

Don't get confused by the 30 pounds for a packet of cigarettes, this is Egyptian pound.
I work abroad a lot so had a look at what my favourite site says.
Current price for 20 Marlboro is £1.26

Back
Top Bottom