What's new

Varying temperature quandary

bidley

Postman
So I've been using DNA200/250 devices for a good year or so now, mostly with 26awg clapton of the SS316L persuasion. I usually like it around 220c, running around 0.28ohm.

But I'm trying different wire types (currently using SS fused clapton, 28+28awg, 0.21ohm) and a for a similar vape I need it down to 170c.

I suppose what I'm asking is; is it normal for different wires/builds to run hotter/cooler despite TC settings? I'm using the correct wire profile pulled from wire wizard, resistance is locked and 100% correct.

So I've been using DNA200/250 devices for a good year or so now, mostly with 26awg clapton of the SS316L persuasion. I usually like it around 220c, running around 0.28ohm.

But I'm trying different wire types (currently using SS fused clapton, 28+28awg, 0.21ohm) and a for a similar vape I need it down to 170c.

I suppose what I'm asking is; is it normal for different wires/builds to run hotter/cooler despite TC settings? I'm using the correct wire profile pulled from wire wizard, resistance is locked and 100% correct.
Claptons are usually pretty inaccurate in TC - there are too many places where the resistance can change at random, fused clatons are even more likely to be inaccurate. For the most accurate TC experience you need single strand wire preferably spaced - and the higher the TCR of the wire the better - So Ni200 has the Highest TCR but is low resistance meaning that it's not necessarily the most accurate, SS316L has higher resistance but a low TCR so again not as accurate Ti01 or Nife 30 are probably the most accurate TC wires and if you can build a coil with plenty of wraps then you'll get more resistance change per degree than with a lower number of wraps leading to a more accurate TC experience...

Is that a yes then? :)

Seriously though, that's some good info.

TC with clapton wire seems fine, as in I'm not getting any dry hits. Which I suppose is the main thing. I suppose the more fancy the wire, the hotter it runs?

I suppose the more fancy the wire, the hotter it runs?

The more complicated the wire, the more chance you have of getting a hotspot that means you need to lower the temp setting - the mod is measuring average temp across the whole coil, so for the best results you want the coil to heat as evenly as possible, which is why you'll see single, spaced coils recommended by veteran TC vapers.

You also lose accuracy at lower resistance, and more complicated wires tend to be lower resistance.

Thirdly, the small static resistance in your 510 and other connections becomes relatively more significant with lower coil resistance - static resistance causes the mod to underestimate actual temp, making the coils run hotter than advertised.

Thanks @danb that's some good info.

I go for spaced builds every time. I don't usually have any problems at all with claptons or twisted etc (although I appreciate they complicate matters).

When you refer to "lower resistance", how low is low? Heh.

When you refer to "lower resistance", how low is low? Heh.

Ha, well it's proportional is what I mean. As resistance drops, so does accuracy. How low is too low? I don't know, it depends on how accurately the board can measure resistance, the TCR of the wire etc. I build for high precision and haven't tried to test the limits. Do you know that in Steam Engine's Wire Wizard tab there is a "TC precision" value? My builds (3 mm ID 0.4 mm Zivipf NiFe48) are generally around 1000 on that scale (which is really high compared to what most people are doing with SS), I have gone down to 500 with no issues (28/32 SS single clapton), and I'm pretty sure people are getting good results at 300 with good TC mods.

There's a sticky thread on this subform I started all about TC accuracy and wire selection.

Back
Top Bottom