Vape Club
What's new

ArcticFox (Joyetec Eleaf Wismec), Escribe for the poors

paters

Initiate
Has anyone here checked out this ArcticFox third party software/firmware thing for their Joyetec, Eleaf or Wismec temp control mods? https://github.com/maelstrom2001/ArcticFox/blob/master/README.md

I've just stared playing around with it today and it seems really cool. There's loads of customisable settings you don't get with the standard firmware on these devices and you can set TFR curves for different coil materials as well as the usual TCR settings. It also has a monitoring tool that gives a real time readout so you can see what's happening with the output of your mod.

There's doesn't seem much discussion about it on this forum. I tried the general chat, but I thought it may get more interest here. It would be interesting to hear from some more experienced temp control vapers on how it compares to Escribe and what some of the more advanced settings do?

Royal Flush Vape
It's actually quite interesting and intriguing to me :).

The ORIGINAL Joyetech eVic tube mod available approx 4 - 1/2 years ago (I think it may have been released just before Xmas 2012) had companion software (Called MVR - My Vaping Record, but it did more), with all sorts of customisable options,, device monitoring, puff monitoring, puff cut offs, (I think you could even adjust the voltage to automatically increase/decrease whilst firing/ during a vape, but don't quote me on this stuff, my memory is bloody awful at times and I'm trying to remember this off the top of my head pmsl) etc, etc. It was WAY ahead of its time and many people simply dismissed them as being completely over the top and unnecessary lo!. (Yet the concept certainly works, Evolv proved that with DNAs and Escribe!!!)! How many ecig manufacturers soon followed suit, albeit with more simplified puff counters, etc, too?? Loads!! NONE however were advanced enough to produce ANYTHING to match what that eVic could do!! Oddly, Joyetech dropped what set that original eVic apart from ANY other mod on the market in ALL of their later models!! Yes, the original may have only provided 11 watts if memory serves, lower than other tube mods that became available soon after it, but it had some SERIOUSLY advanced features and there was NOTHING else to match it when Joyetech released it or for a good few months afterwards either!! The ONLY other mods available at the time had mechanical voltage adjustments, nothing else was digital!! Given that clearo's like eGo CE4's and 5's and other early clearo's were all that was available at the time (and excluding early Genesis drippers, etc), it was truly way ahead :). Yes, it had teething problems, especially with the software, but what device or software doesn't now, let alone then lol??

What happened ultimately?? Joyetech could have gone to town building on that, instead they kind of shrunk back into their shell because the device and software required some updates. All direct information I ever got from people that owned one absolutely raved about these things at the time as being utterly amazing devices :). NO, I never did own one BTW, which I actually regret, I wish with hindsight I had ;).

It's always really surprised me that Joyetech never continued this into later models of the eVics and other mods that share the same board. Unless of course, its because Joyetech shared the board with so many other devices with different brands and names (whilst still technically brands parented by Joyetech I know), so perhaps they kept the potential for 2 way communication there with external software, but just didn't continue to develop or issue the companion software if their board wasn't going to be used exclusively with the eVic name???? Otherwise, I just don't get why Joyetech didn't absolutely hammer new companies like Sigelei and Innokin into the dust with what they could have produced next, and much earlier too!!??!!?!!!!

As long as this 3rd party software doesn't start messing with or allows the end user to mess with controls that could potentially allow these mods to operate beyond safe limits and they still operate in a safe manner, I say go for it mate :).

I have a little used Cuboid here that I still use for TC on occasion that I'm seriously considering testing it out on and having a play when I can actually get around to it lol :). As I said, intriguing lol ;). You'd think there would be significant interest in it , except for people with one mod unwilling to risk bricking their devices ;)!!

It has some potential doesn't it?? User defined TFR curves alone for example is certainly interesting for TC use, albeit the boards aren't as efficient as a DNA!! If it works well and improves things, I'd possibly risk my standard RX200 with it as well lol. It looks to have some half decent features to it.

It's essentially open source, I also wonder if this has been intentionally done as well, or if they first took the idea to Joyetech who shot it down?? Early model DNAs didn't have Escribe but built on their success with highly efficient boards. I'll never get why Joyetech didn't build on the Mk 1 eVic and software and punch out a series of better mods with improvements on the original companion software!!??

Just my ramblings (apologies lol) and speculation pmsl ;). I really hope it starts to take on some life and potentially or possibly improves basic mods to a higher level if it's actually possible with the specifics of the boards in question and if they can actually be improved from the manufacturers settings??????

Well it's certainly taken my Pico to a higher level. With the Eleaf firmware, even if I locked it, the coil resistance would jump around. So, for 80% of the time it would work fine but then without warning I would get a weak or burnt hit. So far with the AF it's been rock solid.

The other significant benefit has been the real time monitor when hooked up to a PC. This has been a great help fine tuning the TCR, wattage and temp settings. Now, instead of just using the temp control as a limiter, I have been able to dial it in for flavour and vapour.

Last week I was so fed up with the Pico I was about to buy a DNA75 mod, but now if I did need a new mod I would probably just get another Pico.

I've ordered some Crazy Wire NiFe48 and I'll report back if I get any more improvement over the 316L I'm using now.

Vape Green
I ArcticFox my old IStick 100TC not that long ago and it works great. Lots of options to play with, power curves and customizing the settings is fun. Once you've set up a good power curve for a SS or kanthal clapton the vape quality is amazing.

Vape Superstore
i tried this software on my istick pico dual ... the resistance was jumping up and down with every fire click and also with the voltage ... i removed the tank and put it on dna device everything was stable so i decided to return to original eleaf software

I've been trying to flash AF onto my Pico 75 but it's having none of it. I've tried holding down various key combos both with and without the battery and just not happening. Haven't found anything helpful on the AF forum. The firmware updater isn't seeing the device.

AcmeFog
@JoeMac Try a different cable, they're not all the same :S Some are OK for power but don't handle data.

The Electronic Cigarette Company
^^ this

I spent a whole evening once swearing profusely at a hotcig rsq squonker because it wouldn't do a firmware update until I decided to go find a different USB cable than the one the mod came with. Found a vaporesso cable and the bloody thing worked first time... boy did I feel stupid.

Lessons learnt: Never assume that a cable supplied with a firmware updatable mod is actually up to the task, it may only have the power lines connected :P

Back
Top Bottom