What's new

Plus ohm RDA, single coil builds.

For vaping at lower power, I am not sure that a clapton is a great idea.
Like you I vape with restricted air flow and build coils around the 1 ohm mark.

I just use simple kanthal coils 28awg 2mm or 2.5mm diameter. Spaced or micro coils I do not find makes much difference. You could try stainless steel instead of kanthal as that gives more wraps for any given resistance and ramps up quicker, some folk prefer it.
I do not put much cotton on the deck, just touching is enough for me. You do not want wick to get in the way of the airflow.

What makes the biggest improvement to flavour on an rda is getting the coil directly in line with the airflow. use the rod you built the coil on to shift the position of the coil to achieve airflow directly on the coil. Experiment with coil position, a little higher or lower and probably pull the coil further from the posts towards the air.

I do not think there is a best way, just a bit of experimenting to find what is best for you.
Good luck.
Enjoy.
Thanks for the reply, as I only started dripping yesterday I got a pack of premade coils so that I could test out different styles and materials, I just picked the Clapton randomly but yeah I'm gonna go out tomorrow get some kanthal and wrap some simple coils myself to use so I'll take your advice on board thanks again.

What I am trying to understand is, if the old way of plus ohm coils and thin wire and low power produced good vapour and flavour, then why did things change?
It produces good flavour and good vapour, sticking 4 coils at 0.2 at 100 watts and yeah you can produce a stupid amount of vapour losing flavour in the process and decks have evolved to take on board this fad cloud chasing and Competition rubbish. You can achieve almost the same vapour with one coil as you can with two for less power and juice consumption. Almost.

Because new devices came out that could produce more power than was required, so some people wanted to use as much of that power as they could. It is a result of people chasing numbers rather than the experience. It is like digital camera buyers going for max pixels rather than best lense,
You know exactly what I'm talking about thank you

It's a simple question that doesn't have a simple answer.

The answer is 'mechs' because they are regulated by resistance.

It's because people started drilling holes in tanks to have more airflow, are more air needs more vapour to 'balance' the vape.

It's because people wanted bigger clouds and needed more airflow.

It's what @oldhippydude said (and he's probably as cynical as me) ... how can a company sell you a 200w device when you only need 10w?

It's all these things and more.

There's no doubt that thin high resistance coils work, I'm always blown away by the performance of my naturevape coils, which are tiny micro coils made of thin wire 1.8ohms and at 7 or 8 watts produce better flavour and vapour than a 0.7 ohm nautilus coil.

People like to make massive generalisations about coil resistance but on regulated devices it doesn't make as much difference as you'd think. A 1.8ohm nautilus coil really isn't that different to a 0.7 ohm nautilus coil to vape on even though it's a huge difference in resistance. Why? because it's fitted in the same tank with the same airflow, same sized chimney and fitted in the same coil head and you just adjust the power so it vapes how you like it.

Those 0.2 smok coils that run at 150w? (or whatever) ... there's no doubt in my mind that you could make the same thing with a higher resistance that would need less power and vape just as well if not better. But for that company in particular that whole high power thing is a selling point now.

..... also there's almost no difference between a 0.9ohm coil and a 1.1ohm coil on a regulated device, but one is 'sub-ohm' (and all the connotations that come with that) and one isn't (and comes with another load of connotations) but in reality you'd be hard pushed to tell any difference on a regulated mod with the power adjusted accordingly.

...or maybe I'm just talking a load of nonsense as people seem to have different experiences with different gear, we do all vape differently..
Cloud chasing and "competition" vaping are driving this past time in a completely stupid direction and people are being sold idiotic devices because that what they think they want. This is also why people are very rarely being hurt. Being sold sub ohm equipment and mechanical tubes that look cool and blow massive clouds dude. Then two days later it's "vaping is not safe, my sons Ecig exploded and burnt his face" ive literally seen it on the news haha.

I think there is a place for all types of vaping and all types of equipment in this pastime of ours. It is our duty as responsible vapers, to know all there is to know about the equipment we use and the juices we vape. I am not sure I feel comfortable about describing things as going in a stupid direction and devices as being idiotic just because they're not what we want to use.

Stupid and idiotic would be not understanding your equipment and not knowing why or what you are doing with it or vaping irresponsibly in public. Cloud chasers or, people who prefer a large amount of vapour as I would prefer to describe them, are OK in my eyes as long as they aren't dicks about it.

I personally like a bit of all styles when it comes to vaping (except MTL which obviously sucks :) (just kidding)) and will continue my quest for vaping knowledge and try not to judge others in the process.

Cliff Baker POTV Diplomatic Envoy

Quick update, I've built a duel coil setup using 28 gauge kanthal and it's at 1.7 ohms, I'm vaping it at 28 watts and I can tell you the flavour is the best I've ever had and I can make huge amounts of vapour for the resistance at just a tiny more watts, maybe thirty. Battery isn't even at half nowhere near from a full day. Have airflow nice and tight. Will definitely be experimenting with these kinds of set up. This is only my third EVER build and it's actually the first time I have ever made my own coils. I love it [emoji23]

Quick update, I've built a duel coil setup using 28 gauge kanthal and it's at 1.7 ohms, I'm vaping it at 28 watts and I can tell you the flavour is the best I've ever had and I can make huge amounts of vapour for the resistance at just a tiny more watts, maybe thirty. Battery isn't even at half nowhere near from a full day. Have airflow nice and tight. Will definitely be experimenting with these kinds of set up. This is only my third EVER build and it's actually the first time I have ever made my own coils. I love it [emoji23]
How many wraps?

Back
Top Bottom