What's new

The clone question again I'm afraid.

eyeball kid

Legend
Well. This has come up again after a rare trip to a vape shop. I was using my squeeze and strike rda while minding my business looking at the new juices. A bearded man child whom either owned or worked in said shop stated. "Bit of a waste using a mad monkey rda on a crappy squeeze". Well firstly I was impressed with his knowledge but then said no it's my out and about set up , the strike is a clone. He tutted and groaned about people using clones. I didn't have time to tell him to lick my nads. So I left.
Got me thinking how many rda' s I'd tried until I found " The one" . I worked out had I bought all genuine it would have cost well over a grand. Now I have tried to buy a genuine strike but as per usual there are very few out there and mad mods are always out of stock. I always try to buy genuines of rda' s I use constantly. At some cost and often a hell of a search. Narda, o atty, hadaly (Now gone), goon, snapdragon ect, ect. But I have to say I'd never be able to afford to try so many different rda' s at the price they are and if I could most of them are only made on days of the week an m in it and when the moon is full. Then you have to apply on a list to Santa. Thank God for fastech. I'm currently testing le concorde which I would happily buy genuine of it vapes well. So far it's o.k. but not great yet. More testing is required.
Rant over.

Find it odd that people buy clones like them and then go on to fork out for the Authentic. Why not just stick with the clone (if it ain't broke don't try and fix it).
My logic is the clone and authentic will both produce the vapour and give you the nic you need.
There is a flip side you could buy a clone thats garbage which could put you off the device full stop. I don't mind forking out for an authentic regulated mod myself ie a DNA or an Yihi chipped, but an atty and most mech's i just can't justify the price. Especially now that there are a few excellent cloners like coppervape, sxk, shenray. As you say @eyeball kid a grand on a few rda's is a lot of hard earned to part with i suppose i do look at what the scrap value of the metal would be plus the fact most cloned RDA and mechs i have are worth their small outlay.
One question though did the beard in the shop know you where using a clone atty till you said so, as it doesn't sound like it which again begs the question is it really worth paying out a small fortune when you can get a decent clone?

The thing that sticks for me is his comment about the 'crappy squeeze' .... seems pretty stupid to insult your customers choice of gear, as long as you aren't smoking that's all that matters right? ... clearly a vape snob, that doesn't deserve your money and his opinion on clones is likely based on snobbery rather than any kind of moral righteousness.

The thing that sticks for me is his comment about the 'crappy squeeze' .... seems pretty stupid to insult your customers choice of gear, as long as you aren't smoking that's all that matters right? ... clearly a vape snob, that doesn't deserve your money and his opinion on clones is likely based on snobbery rather than any kind of moral righteousness.
The thing is, they aren't. I totally agree that he seems to be a vape snob, and in his elitist mind, cheap equates to crappy. The fact is, almost every squonkist (read: vaper these days) has a squeeze in the armoury. I'm vaping one right now. Not to mention that almost without fail, every time a post pops up asking about a cheap mod to "test the water", it's the squeeze that gets all the recommendations. Shame really, I still have a lot of love for the Dripbox, but hey-ho

Definitely a vape snob, still, if he can afford to be, fine :) thing that cracks me up is, allegedly, Clones come off the same production line as the original item. As long as they do the job, I'm not that bothered. [emoji106]

About time we had another clone discussion. Atty clones. Relative newcomers to vaping must get very puzzled by references.
My take is that if reviews of a particular clone are good and it looks identical to the original then it's worth trying and if I thoroughly enjoy the vape I may buy an original or "authentic". Within reason. Because while some attys are very satisfying the cost of an original/authentic does sometimes put me off. £70 is the most I've paid for an atty.
There seem to be more reliable "clone attys" available but there will always be cheap rubbish which will end up in the recycling bin.
We often read about originals and clones coming from the same place. How true that is I have no idea. After all this is the internet ...
With regard to the vape shop incident that eyeball wrote about it does sound like pretentious elitism.
Then there are increasing numbers of budget priced originals which are hardly worth cloning but do get cloned. If you can get an original for £25 why go for a clone for £10?
Keeping off cigs and staying satisfied with the vape is all that matters.

Spot on gents. The Pico squeeze is hands down the best squonker' s I own. Reliable and along with the dripbox they "squonk" better than any other mod I've got. No leaks, no fuss and cheap.
On the clone question. I've always followed the rule off. If I love it then I need to pay the maker his due. Although as I said above it's not always that easy these day's due to limited runs.
I did walk out of the vape snobs shop. I was about to pick up some dinner lady lemon tart. It was on a whim as I had no idea the shop existed and was out with Mrs kid and the son in law with grandchildren in tow picking up school uniform. Had I not been rushing I would have also torn him a new one.
The quality of clones over the last few year's has improved so much. The exact materials and perfect design copies. As I mentioned on another thread it's becoming easier for the Chinese workshops now as they hold most of the contracts and therefore cnc machines that make the genuines.

Definitely a vape snob! Without the clone aspect when run done what imho is the best value mod I've ever come across, the squeeze, at retail shop prices he could make a fortune selling alot more affordable squeezes than one or two a week one off mods, so bad business practise as well!!
Clones are an affordable way of keeping off the stinkies so have a place, alright in an ideal world we could all afford originals and there would be no need for clones but we don't live in an ideal world!!
Also some genuine products are imho purposely over priced and hard to get to create this "elitism" that so may people crave which will just open you up to clones, especially when you then go to a cheap manufacturer somewhere in the world to fuel your own greed!

Look at the 528 mess now for example, is it right? No not really. Is it their own making? IMHO yes

I use clones and when possible buy originals, but by design originals are not always possible to get, not just because of price so what do you do...get a freely available clone.

About time we had another clone discussion. Atty clones. Relative newcomers to vaping must get very puzzled by references.
My take is that if reviews of a particular clone are good and it looks identical to the original then it's worth trying and if I thoroughly enjoy the vape I may buy an original or "authentic". Within reason. Because while some attys are very satisfying the cost of an original/authentic does sometimes put me off. £70 is the most I've paid for an atty.
There seem to be more reliable "clone attys" available but there will always be cheap rubbish which will end up in the recycling bin.
We often read about originals and clones coming from the same place. How true that is I have no idea. After all this is the internet ...
With regard to the vape shop incident that eyeball wrote about it does sound like pretentious elitism.
Then there are increasing numbers of budget priced originals which are hardly worth cloning but do get cloned. If you can get an original for £25 why go for a clone for £10?
Keeping off cigs and staying satisfied with the vape is all that matters.
In many cases it is true. Again I mentioned this on the goon thread but I've bought guitar parts from China for many years now and the cheaper "style" spairs have long been known to come from the same factories. Name brand guitar companies are comfortable enough to know the value is in the name so they have the parts made at the factory of the lowest bidder and except that they will use the machining tools to make clones.

Find it odd that people buy clones like them and then go on to fork out for the Authentic. Why not just stick with the clone (if it ain't broke don't try and fix it).
My logic is the clone and authentic will both produce the vapour and give you the nic you need.
There is a flip side you could buy a clone thats garbage which could put you off the device full stop. I don't mind forking out for an authentic regulated mod myself ie a DNA or an Yihi chipped, but an atty and most mech's i just can't justify the price. Especially now that there are a few excellent cloners like coppervape, sxk, shenray. As you say @eyeball kid a grand on a few rda's is a lot of hard earned to part with i suppose i do look at what the scrap value of the metal would be plus the fact most cloned RDA and mechs i have are worth their small outlay.
One question though did the beard in the shop know you where using a clone atty till you said so, as it doesn't sound like it which again begs the question is it really worth paying out a small fortune when you can get a decent clone?
Because some of the atty producers he's asking about are small enthusiast setups, not big companies. (Snapdragon for one) - who have done lots of R and D and made a product because they love doing it.

Often they gamble any money they have made previously on all the materials and CNC time etc on a new atty.

Guys like that deserve being supported, so testing on a Clone first then buying an original (if you like it) is a good and honourable thing to do in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom