What's new

Office vaping: air-con issues?

Bandini

Postman
I work in a smallish office and I'm allowed to vape at my desk (or anywhere else in the building, as it happens.)
I'm the only regular vaper at the moment but I'm working on the two remaining smokers to come over to the light side!

Whenever the air-conditioning units get serviced the engineers make comments about the bad smells being caused by (eg) perfume vapour getting caught in the filters.
So my question is this: does nicotine vapour cause the same problem and am I going to get grief when my colleagues work this out?

What do you mean? People's perfume makes the filters stink? Sounds a bit daft to me, wouldn't it be crap from outside that gets on the filters anyway?

Well I'm no expert but I just eavesdrop on what the engineers are moaning about!
I think they mean perfume vapour molecules or whatever drifting up in the airstream and collecting in the filters, going stale and the odour then being recirculated around the room.
We had a stink problem this week which seemed to be caused by excess cleaning fluid that they had used when servicing the units.
I may have got this completely wrong but I did worry for a bit that I was going to get the blame for the bad smell.
Just wondered if anyone here had any observations.

Surely they can't be referencing your ejuice vapours..some woman's perfume is ten fold more offensive.

As a homeowner in the states who had central a/c I am more inclined to think they are referencing daily moisture which occurs naturally.. which also carries into the filters... sits until cleaned and go funky...hence why a/c units need filters and changing regularly otherwise you get rank smells...

On the other hand...we had our a/c serviced in our car Friday and the man working on it said our car smells lovely..like cookies...why? Lol I'm vaping some white Chacco cookie...hehe

I work in a smallish office and I'm allowed to vape at my desk (or anywhere else in the building, as it happens.)
I'm the only regular vaper at the moment but I'm working on the two remaining smokers to come over to the light side!

Whenever the air-conditioning units get serviced the engineers make comments about the bad smells being caused by (eg) perfume vapour getting caught in the filters.
So my question is this: does nicotine vapour cause the same problem and am I going to get grief when my colleagues work this out?

You'd be no more at fault/to blame than anyone in your office that wears perfume/aftershave I would assume. If it's some kind of aroma molecule that is causing the problem then even air fresheners might cause the same issue?

How fine a grade are these filters they're referring too anyway? I'd presume they'd have to be pretty bloomin fine to affected by aromas.

They are talking utter rubbish!

Filters in A/C units are nowhere near dense enough to capture perfume molecules, trust me. They are meant to trap dust and clothing particles. The dirtier the filter, the better it works. Until airflow is restricted enough so that the unit can't move the required air through it any more.

They had to be tripping on something to be able to smell anything other than the inside of a vacuum cleaner...

Back
Top Bottom