What's new

May we have a PG-free subforum?

Is it rare? .... I don't know, maybe we just don't talk about it enough but I've mentioned a few times on here that vaping anything over 60% VG leaves me with a very heavy chest and flemmy ... I know I'm not the only one as several people have mentioned it too. I seem to remember @ZT saying something similar before.

Well, as "as I can gather" like I said. I'm always willing to change my mind about stuff like that. I'm just repeating what I've read on several forums, and noting that the statement rarely gets challeged, in my experience. So it's probably correct., (at this juncture in time, that is. Increased usage of substances by industry and other such changes can always lead to increasing problems).

I'm not sure that " vaping anything over 60% VG leaves me with a very heavy chest and flemmy" counts as an allergy/intolerance/ sensitivity,to the VG though. It sounds more like a physical response to some kind of physical property of the VG than some kind of chemical sensitivity. I mean, something similar to the people sometimes get after they quit smoking...about 3 weeks later their lungs starts coughing up the tar. Not because they're sensitive to vape juice, nor to fresh air , but just because you're not pushing further tar into your lungs any more, I don't know how the thing you describe might work, but if it was some kind of VG sensitivity as such, I should think you'd have problems at 60% as well a 70%.

I don't like to quibble. it's tough luck, whatever it is! But i think we do have to be careful with our terminology, if we want to clarify these issues rather than confound them! (and it looks like they badly need clarifying, doesn't it?)

I've no kind of expert knowledge BTW, but I have done an awful lot of reading about this kind of thing, seeing as I've been plagued with this kind of issue, for my sins. Heck, i used to think that allergy sufferers are "precious" , and they therefore got precious little sympathy from me. Serves me right, hmm?

Last edited:
I don't know how the thing you describe might work, but if it was some kind of VG sensitivity as such, I should think you'd have problems at 60% as well a 70%.

maybe... it's no biggy I was just going on what people who say they have PG intolerance who often say "I can vape 80% or 70% VG but I can't vape 50/50"

...and I'm just kind of the opposite of that, the more VG is in the juice the worse I feel after vaping it. 50/50 is my preference I don't really notice anything at 60% but 70% and above I feel it, it actually makes me feel quite ill.

I've not thought about it much until now.

This Is a great idea. I've been going round the (sub houses) trying to find answers. It appears I have a reaction maybe not an allergy to PG. I have found that Element 50/50juices(which incidentally I love) bring me out in a rash only on my neck and behind my ears. Which leads me to believe that they must be the most sensitive to the PG, I guess it would figure, if I had a real allergy to it then it would manifest itself all over. I've not tried 100% VG, however if I do 70/30 or 80/20 it's fine. Strangely enough even the element dripper range brings out the rash. I'm wondering if it may be something else. GP not much help. No allergy test just advised cut out PG. I would really like to know though. Nasty juice is perfectly fine and Manabush. Anyone else had a similar effect or got to the bottom of it. I did also have a bizarre anaphylactic episode after vaping one day. Frightened the wits out of me. [emoji51]

Manabush is 50PG. So it's probably not the PG at all.

Perhaps it is the type of sweetner that Element uses. You don't have a PG intolerance, you have an Element intolerance (seeing as the 20PG Element Dripper range also does it).

Is it rare? .... I don't know, maybe we just don't talk about it enough but I've mentioned a few times on here that vaping anything over 60% VG leaves me with a very heavy chest and flemmy ... I know I'm not the only one as several people have mentioned it too. I seem to remember @ZT saying something similar before.

I wouldn't go back to smoking but I would quit vaping if I couldn't have a suitable MTL tank.

I have started a dedicated MTL thread, the reason I haven't started a dedicated thread about VG is because I don't find it that interesting, high VG doesn't agree with me, I know that so I start and participate threads around 50/50 liquids and the like...I don't really believe every single topic needs a subforum.
Yep, does me no good whatsoever high VG - I know a few people like it.

Allergies are not all that well understood. Also, there are other conditions (notably mast cell disorders) that can cause "allergic reactions" to all intents and puposes, even up to and including anaphlaxis, but by a different mechanism, so ypu get a "negative" on allergy tests.

Whatever the mechanism, if something is triggering the kind of symptoms you describe, you should definitely avoid further exposure. Theorising won't save your life.

And you are quite wrong , when you say " if I had a real allergy to it then it would manifest itself all over". For example, I once had an allergic reaction to a drug which only manifested under the wristband of my watch! It would probably have stopped there, if I'd done the sensible thing and stopped taking the drug. But I reasoned that it must be an allergic reaction to the wristband material, and continued to take the drug. Later (after being ticked off by my GP) it struck me that I tend to sweat under my watch wristband, and that our bodies excrete a variety of chemicals in the sweat. What a pity that I waited for a logical explanation to occur to my tiny little brain. . The all-over reaction, when it came, was extremely unpleasant.

In short, do be afraid. Fear is good for you!

Thank-you, very informative and frightening. I guess you aren't advising me to stop vaping :) just stop the one that makes me itch. I haven't had any anaphylactic episodes since the only one.

Thank-you, very informative and frightening. I guess you aren't advising me to stop vaping :) just stop the one that makes me itch. I haven't had any anaphylactic episodes since the only one.
In truth it could be a .... let's say sensitivity rather than allergy - to any number of chemicals (even normally fairly neutral ones) that could be in the mix

Last edited:
Manabush is 50PG. So it's probably not the PG at all.

Perhaps it is the type of sweetner that Element uses. You don't have a PG intolerance, you have an Element intolerance (seeing as the 20PG Element Dripper range also does it).

Hi spreadfreak. I was thinking the same thing. Manabush is 60/40 I think. They write it on the label the other way round for some reason. VG/PG. it's a mystery what is in elements. Don't want to get libel from the mighty elements. Strangely enough I tried their far range and one gave a reaction and the other didn't. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hi spreadfreak. I was thinking the same thing. Manabush is 60/40 I think. They write it on the label the other way round for some reason. VG/PG. it's a mystery what is in elements. Don't want to get libel from the mighty elements. Strangely enough I tried their far range and one gave a reaction and the other didn't. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Manabush Nokomis range is 50/50
Manabush Spiritwalker range is 60/40

Back
Top Bottom