What's new

Review Voopoo Drag 157W TC Box Mod - Review

Disclosure: This mod was sent to me for the purpose of review by HealthCabin.net.
The item can be found here.
www.healthcabin.net/voopoo-drag-157w-box-mod-p/13905.html

Some all round pics.
8tomDTz.jpg
MqYXRll.jpg

D5qJLMy.jpg
hYosypk.jpg

m3B7UyY.jpg
RzKhLLd.jpg

F8Rcq4O.jpg

Lets firstly talk about construction.
I really haven't found any issues with regards to build quality, it's a good solid well made enclosure, the 510 isn't some cheaply press fitted rubbish it's mechanically held in with torx screws, there's no wobble or rattle with the buttons, the inside is nice and clean and i don't have any door wobble on the one i was sent either it's held firmly by two strong bar magnets so top marks as far as construction goes.

So how about design?
It's a little bit old school and personally i like it, i know some people don't like boxy box mods but i do.
There is however two issues i do have with the design side of things on this box.
First one being the overall width on the box is only 24mm, why would they not make it 25mm when 25mm is becoming a standard sized atty nowadays?
It's not that the overhang is terrible it's only half a mm either side it's just annoying because it shouldn't be an issue at all, just make the box a mm wider.
The second one is they have cut a step into the sides all the way round the mod so even with a 24mm atty you end up with a gap on the sides where that step is cut into the top surface, see the pic below for what i'm talking about it's a 24mm wide Troll RTA.
It doesn't actually overhand the sides of the mod you just have a gap where the step is cut.

Maml7Rq.png

So the last thing to cover is performance.
I really do like the board used in this mod a lot.
The display is nice and big and bright, the menus and functions are easy to navigate, you have the usual TC options Ni/SS/Ti and via the software you can add a TCR option too, don't understand why it's not installed out of the box but it's easy to add from the software, there's also power curve settings and temperature curve settings it's a good deal of functionality.
I don't have fancy diagnostic tools but it does feel like it's delivering the power it's set at too, it doesn't seem like it's underpowered.
But the best thing is it's instant, there's no noticeable delay when firing or ramp up time if you've got it set for example at 90W and you push that button you get an instant 90W delivered, very impressed with the board.

There is also the software available here.
en.voopootech.com/download-service/?

It's kind of a very cut down version of escribe, you can customise some screens and set temp curves/ power curves do firmware updates etc just basic stuff really.
Very intuitive and easy to use.

All in all a great device other than those issues with the width and the step on the edges.

Thanks for the review, I have 2 questions. Is the 510 spring loaded and does the software only work on Windows?

In order to set a TCR on the device that is outside the ranges allowed on the device for Ni, Ti or SS, you need to hook it up to a PC and enable TC mode, which allows you to set the TCR anywhere in full range, rather than just a little bit either side of the default for Ni, Ti or SS.

I found the TCR range allowed for SS to be a little conservative, so I put on TC mode so I could set it a bit higher (and I took off Ti mode cos I never use it).

Thanks for that, I do have a mac but I guess the TCR for something like NiFe 48 (which I use sometimes) can be set on the device.

Yes you can modify the TCR values for the profiles that are already on the mod which is Ni/SS/Ti through the menu system on the mod itself it's just that there is no separate profile on it out of the box just for TCR.

So just change the TCR value of one of the profiles that you don't normally use you'll just have to remember the original value if you want to change it back at some point.

But you can only adjust the built in profiles within a certain range. You need to install TC mode to access the whole range.

Back
Top Bottom