What's new

Harsh hitting DIY juice

Hi All,
As mentioned in my original post, my favourite branded / shop brought liquid is 6mg, with no problem.

That's why when I mixed my own I started at 6mg, I then cut this down to 3mg, but that seemed to make no difference.

Regards Badboybez

Reducing nic and no change screams FLAVOUR to me.
Nic must be mixed in the correct ratio to get what you want.
There was recently some 'bad press' about some nic but personally I think it was nonsense.
There are MANY things to effect a toot and it's harshness. Keep us posted on your findings please - helps everyone in the long run.

% of flavour, brand, steep time and actual flavour are HUGE when talking about harshness IMO.
Some things I can't toot after months of steeping, the flavour just doesn't get on with me.

Where did you get your nic is it Pg or vg and did you give it a good shake, if it's vg and not shaken you could have hot spots in it, and did you use a calculator to get your amounts right, sometimes diy NIC seems stronger than shop bought liquids for some reason

Hi slugster, thanks for your interest.

Nic is in VG, reason I went down this route is I wanted to emulate the same base as my fav shop brought 70% VG 30% PG
Obviously flavour concentrates, and other additives are all in PG, so getting 70/30 is more tricky if the nic is also PG.

As far as I can remember I always give it a good shake before measuring / mixing.
In fact I usually mix a reasonable amount of what I call base liquid, 100ml VG, add 10%, so 10ml dilutent (pharma water or vodka) and mix that together in a 150, or 250ml bottle, the add nic to get to the desired final strength, shaking everyday for half an hour to make sure it is mixed / no layering, for several days.
Last time I did this for a week, before adding flavour concentrates etc.

Yeah I used a calculator, ejuice Me Up, which is recommended by a lot of folk.
Although I am becoming a little dubious about it lately with regards to high VG mixes.
In fact at the moment I am creating an Excel calculation chart of my own (in my career of 40 years I have had to learn to be very proficient)

Shop via DIY, I think you have something there, that's why last time i cut my mix to 3mg instead of 6, but it did not seem to make much difference.

As I have said already, many thanks for your interest, suggestions, and more importantly your time.

Will keep you updateed as to how I get on.

Ooh, forgot to say the nic is from vapemate, and its the only one i have used, that's where i suspect the problem lies, so this weekend I will use one from a different supplier.

Regards badboybez

Last edited:
Reducing nic and no change screams FLAVOUR to me.
Nic must be mixed in the correct ratio to get what you want.
There was recently some 'bad press' about some nic but personally I think it was nonsense.
There are MANY things to effect a toot and it's harshness. Keep us posted on your findings please - helps everyone in the long run.

% of flavour, brand, steep time and actual flavour are HUGE when talking about harshness IMO.
Some things I can't toot after months of steeping, the flavour just doesn't get on with me.

Thanks for the advice johnr7
As for % iv'e tried 10% 15%, and 20%, one off flavours to keep it simple, but up to 3 flavours combined, but still struggling.

Sure I will keep you posted, that's the whole point of POTV, helping each other :-))

Regards badboybez

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, but been a bit busy at work, and after the original post promptly developed a bad cold & cough, so any tests would have been inconclusive.

So started this week.

Step 1 Vape pure Aqueous VG, if no problem go to step 2 Done no problem at all, apart from after a few hours, due to the known sweetness of the VG gave me a slightly sickly feeling, not bad just like you had eaten to many doughnuts, so all okay on the VG.

Step 2 Vape pure PG, if no problem go to step 3 (not sure that will be a good experience.....) Done tonight, no problem as yet (been on it for a couple of hours now) despite me thinking it would be a bad experience.......

So tomorrow, on to the remaining tests.

Step 3 Make up 70 % VG 30 % PG, and vape that, if okay go to step 4
Step 4 Bring it up to 3mg nicotine, and vape that, if okay go to step 5
Step 5 Bring it up to 6mg, and vape that, if okay go to step 6
Step 6 Try each of the suppliers flavours to see if I can pinpoint one, or two that affect me.

I have 7 different tanks, but for direct comparison will do all tests in my trusty Kangertech. Have used my kangertech for both completed tests.

Will keep you updated.

Regards badboybez

Back
Top Bottom