What's new

Vape shops selling to non-smokers

mannikon

Veteran
A few papers have picked up this story. The IBVTA apparently have a guideline that shops should not sell to non-smokers but shops have been ignoring this.

Negative press in one way but an interesting message going out publicly stating that vaping is a cessation tool which legally I don't think any vendor is allowed to claim?

Silly story in many ways. So some non-smokers want to take up vaping as a "lifestyle" thing. So what? Will Starbucks start asking customers if they've drunk coffee before because caffeine is dangerous and addictive?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...over-investigation-e-cigarettes-a7670601.html

What a load of shit. That would be like newsagents not selling cigarettes to people who have never smoked.

I really don't see an issue with non smokers vaping. Vaping is a hobby for loads of people rather than just a smoking cessation.

If an adult buys e-liquid, alcohol or cigarettes they should not be asked if they have used whichever it is before, it's their choice.

shock horror ! of course its going to happen . after all we were all non smokers before we started smoking as well . and although he ends up selling her 6mg juice he did advise her to get zero nic

[emoji23][emoji23] my brother is a non smoker but he does enjoy a vape he has a couple of mods and uses zero nic

A few papers have picked up this story. The IBVTA apparently have a guideline that shops should not sell to non-smokers but shops have been ignoring this.

Negative press in one way but an interesting message going out publicly stating that vaping is a cessation tool which legally I don't think any vendor is allowed to claim?

Silly story in many ways. So some non-smokers want to take up vaping as a "lifestyle" thing. So what? Will Starbucks start asking customers if they've drunk coffee before because caffeine is dangerous and addictive?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...over-investigation-e-cigarettes-a7670601.html

Interesting .... I think the IBVTA position is a sensible one, I don't really think they could take any other position.

Personally I would never encourage a non-smoker to take up vaping but I wouldn't encourage a non-drinker to start drinking either. ... or encourage someone to switch from drinking water to drinking coffee.

If they want to then that is entirely up to them but don't ask me if I think you should because I'm not gonna tell you to do that.

... it's very confusing and mixed messages about what exactly e-cigs are and should be used for. One minutes they are saying that they can't be advertised as a way to stop smoking and the next minute we read stuff like this. The whole 'lifestyle' thing is just marketing BS and pretty stupid to me but it's partly a result of them not being allowed to say "This works really well as a tool to help you give up smoking' ... so they have to find other interesting ways to try and sell you it.

I think there's a lot of different things here all getting tangled up. .... and it's gonna be a hell of a job to unravel it all. Questions about advertising, marketing etc. .... it will sort it self out one way or another eventually, no point in sticking your fingers in your ears though.

I think the IBVTA could take another position - personally I think it is reckless of them to take this view and it has simply given the media an opportunity to spin some bad press about vaping.

People will smoke who have never smoked before and therefore people will want to vape who have never vaped before. It is bonkers to think that people with an itch will not scratch it. What would they rather do - go to the supermarket and buy a pack of ciggies?

We have seen enough times on the forum here that people with depression or weight loss issues have turned to vaping as a safer way to deliver nicotine to help with their lives. Should vape shops refuse to help these people?

Kids are kids and some of them will want to smoke / vape - should they be blankly told they cannot do it?

Also, picking up on @junglist points, reading this elsewhere has highlighted that it wasn't necessarily "Vape Shops" (B&Ms) that were targeted. Newsagents, Corner Shops that advertised E.Cigs were all part and parcel of this it appears.

I think the IBVTA could take another position - personally I think it is reckless of them to take this view and it has simply given the media an opportunity to spin some bad press about vaping.

People will smoke who have never smoked before and therefore people will want to vape who have never vaped before. It is bonkers to think that people with an itch will not scratch it. What would they rather do - go to the supermarket and buy a pack of ciggies?

We have seen enough times on the forum here that people with depression or weight loss issues have turned to vaping as a safer way to deliver nicotine to help with their lives. Should vape shops refuse to help these people?

Kids are kids and some of them will want to smoke / vape - should they be blankly told they cannot do it?

I dunno, maybe I still resent and partially blame the guy in the cornershop who sold me 10 JPS when I was 13 years old.

In a more broader sense B&M's have a duty to every customer, they have a duty to ask questions and they have a duty to sell appropriate gear to each customer. Selling 6mg liquid to someone who's never smoked is just wrong to me, same as selling 0mg to someone who's trying to quit 40 fags a day.

... and promoting vaping nicotine as stress relief or an aid to weight loss .. I think that's a really dangerous path to go down myself because I don't see how the guy in the cornershop or some bloke behind a vape shop counter is in any position to make that call. They don't have enough knowledge.

Kids are kids ..... I would absolutely encourage my kids not to start a nicotine habit because I think they are better off without it.

That's what my gut tells me and maybe I'm wrong but honestly that's how I feel.

Back
Top Bottom