What's new

Cant update my Smok Alien...

Hello, I'm not sure if/how anyone can help me but I'll give it a shot...

I'm trying to update for the first time. Should my pc recognise "the device" like anything else you would plug into the usb?, because nothing appears on my laptop to show ive plugged it in.

Its weird though coz at first I just plugged it in, got all the instructions up for the update it even said "passed" asif it was successful but now the thing wont even switch on, so ive obviously gone wrong somewhere and now I'm like a bear with a sore arese lol
Thanx for sharing that information, after seeing the replies will not be attempting to upgrade my Alien. I upgraded my Cuboid mini and although it works okeh and has a new ramp up feature the graphics are shite, as in the small print on a legal contract, whereas before you could see easily and clearly now it's just shitty little low res circles, (you can see the Pixels) the graphics on the Eleaf iPower 80w are as small but Hi Res and are surprisingly easy to read. Bound to say though the graphic interface on the Alien is the best of the three IMO.

Thanx for sharing that information, after seeing the replies will not be attempting to upgrade my Alien. I upgraded my Cuboid mini and although it works okeh and has a new ramp up feature the graphics are shite, as in the small print on a legal contract, whereas before you could see easily and clearly now it's just shitty little low res circles, (you can see the Pixels) the graphics on the Eleaf iPower 80w are as small but Hi Res and are surprisingly easy to read. Bound to say though the graphic interface on the Alien is the best of the three IMO.
With Joyetech, you can revert to an earlier firmware edition if you want. I had to go back 2 or 3 editions myself as the newest one is horrible.

With Joyetech, you can revert to an earlier firmware edition if you want. I had to go back 2 or 3 editions myself as the newest one is horrible.

As you can with the Alien if you can find the earlier firmwares somewhere, it's perfectly safe to do if you read the instructions.

I though it was maybe just me, but it seems we're singing from the same hymn sheet here, thanx for the info, will go back like you said.

http://www.smoktech.com/ueditor/net/upload/image/20170401/6362663899107348242456987.png

I was having some issues as well updating from vb1.0.2 to vb1.0.3 my device would just blink vb1.03 after updating it would turn on and run fine but once the screen turned off it would go back to blinking vb1.0.3 and I would have to press the fire button 5 times to turn the device back on tryed reflashing , rolling back the firmware same issue on vb1.0.2 now.
I managed to fix this by reflashing vb1.0.3 again the link above shows the settings setup in smok's tutorial what I did was change a few settings there. I did as suggested I set base address to 14400 , data flash to 42.00k and unclicked watchdog. The settings I changed was setting Clock Source Options to Internal rather then external , Brown out to 2.5v and selected Security Lock , went back to the main screen for programming I unselected everything and selected Erase all once completed I uncheck Erase All and selected APROM only and flashed and now all is fixed running vb1.03. Hopfully this helps someone out with the same issue.

http://i.imgur.com/8dOL8RW.jpg a picture of the settings you should have.

I've tried this using the settings you posted and still getting the boot loop to the VB1.0.3 screen after my screen shuts off.

Were there any other settings on the nuvoton tool you used to fix this?

Did you apply these settings while already on 1.0.3 or did you downgrade to 1.0.2 then upgrade to the new version with these settings?

Nevermind @Jay37 Figured it out. Found this great post on Reddit thanks to user wtfgodmode

Link to Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...k_alien_keeps_turning_off_after_vb103_update/

Instructions from post:

Complete bootloop fix

DISCLAIMER: There are two versions of the Alien220 mod, so tread lightly!! Edition A will display V1.x.x (newest is V1.2.11) when powered on, while edition B will display VB1.x.x (newest is VB1.0.3). This fix is SPECIFICALLY FOR edition B (VB1.0.3).

Personal note: When your programming/IT team can't provide correct instructions to install the OS correctly for the device that your company manufactures, it's time for a new programming/IT team. C'mon SMOK.

ISSUE: By following SMOK's ingenious directions located at http://www.smoktech.com/support/upgrade/toolsandfirmware/ispalienvb, you've coded your Part No. incorrectly. Your Config Value should be 0xEFFF7FF7E.

Tools needed;

The boot looping asshole itself

Micro USB data cable

Computer (durr)

Software needed;

alien VB 1.0.2 (Shoutout to Armri for this!)

http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/myFXXraR/file.html

alien VB 1.0.3

https://odhk2xgq4.qnssl.com/file/14910311529967rg0jnw28m5r97h370cigousor.zip

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Take out the batteries and hold the fire button down. I STRONGLY recommend wrapping a hair tie or a strong rubber band around the fire button, because this MUST BE HELD DOWN THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE PROCESS, and your poor knuckles don't need arthritis. Do NOT connect the device to your PC just yet.

2. Open NuvoISP; make sure it's in USB mode.

3. Click the Connect button. With the fire button held down, connect your device via USB. You should now see that it's connected.

4. At the bottom, check Erase All and click Start. You should see a prompt stating that this step processed successfully.

5. Click on Setting, and refer to this image as your guide (again, thanks Armri):http://www109.zippyshare.com/v/myFXXraR/file.html Once everything is setup correctly, click the OK button.

6. Make sure that the Config option is the only option checked at the bottom and click Start. You should see a prompt stating that this step processed successfully.

7. Under Load File, click the APROM button and open ALIEN_VB1.0.2.bin. Make sure that the APROM option is the only option checked at the bottom, and click Start. You should see a prompt stating that this step processed successfully.

8. Click on the APROM button again and select the VIVI-98_FOR_NANO120_VB1.0.3_20170323.bin file. Click Start. You should see a prompt stating that this step processed successfully.

9. Click Disconnect, and unplug your device from the USB data cable.

10. Release the fire button.

11. Replace your batteries and click the fire button 5 times.

12. Voop.

13. Contact SMOK and tell them to fire whoever wrote those garbage instructions.

It's the Config Value people fail on :) But you're right the Smok "instructions" are absolute garbage, they need to employ a decent translator for starters and make the instructions more straightforward. Well the whole update process needs refining and simplifying.

Back
Top Bottom