What's new

Mech squonk batteries

So got some Sony vtc5a ordered and a little squonk mech on the way to try :)

My only question really now is because I'm used to regulated mods I know for example I am at around 75w on my regulated device, so should I build to hit that wattage or are the characteristics different on a mech?

So on the mech to get to that I'd be building to 0.2 but that seems low to me ? @conanthewarrior

So got some Sony vtc5a ordered and a little squonk mech on the way to try :)

My only question really now is because I'm used to regulated mods I know for example I am at around 75w on my regulated device, so should I build to hit that wattage or are the characteristics different on a mech?

So on the mech to get to that I'd be building to 0.2 but that seems low to me ? @conanthewarrior

Glad you have it on the way, I hope you enjoy it :).

With a regulated mod, you can pretty much put any build on and just adjust the power as you know, with a mech as the voltage you get will never be above the battery voltage you have to really build with that in mind.

I don't vape at insane wattages myself, but usually end up around 0.2-0.25, I use SS316L 26G as this heats up quickly and still have enough surface to create some nice warm vapour.

If you have a look on steam engine, I would put in the type of build you like now, and try to get something with a similar 'heat flux' to what you like at your chosen resistance. It does take a bit of playing around though, and you might like something slightly different, don't take that as you have to aim for that, just something to go on to start with.

What wire types do you have at the moment? You want something that can heat nice and fast, with the mechs voltage in mind.

@conanthewarrior cheers mate yeah got a little angkultur on the way to see how I get on before I spend silly money [emoji23]

I have kanthal at the min in 26 and 24 plain wire then the rest is 26 claptoned or 2x26 fused claptoned and some 26 twisted with ribbon so I have stuff I can use just really want a simple build that's safe within my battery limits to get me started then I can play around from there.

I like a warm vape but not silly hot I'm more of a flavour chaser :)

@conanthewarrior cheers mate yeah got a little angkultur on the way to see how I get on before I spend silly money [emoji23]

I have kanthal at the min in 26 and 24 plain wire then the rest is 26 claptoned or 2x26 fused claptoned and some 26 twisted with ribbon so I have stuff I can use just really want a simple build that's safe within my battery limits to get me started then I can play around from there.

I like a warm vape but not silly hot I'm more of a flavour chaser :)
Ok then, that sounds sensible to give it a try before spending more.

I would stick with the plain wire to start with, I myself don't really enjoy claptons or fused claptons in mech mods, although there are people that do. I just find the extra wire makes the ramp up too slow for my liking.

I am thinking what would be best to use, 24 Gauge is a fair size, maybe try a build around 6 Wraps a side around a 2.5MM bit? Definitely experiment though to find what you like.

Let us know when your mod comes, and what you think of it :)

@conanthewarrior yeah I'll let you know what it's like ! I have a feeling I'm gonna love the squonking but maybe find the fact it's on a mech a pain but we will see! If that's the case I'll just get a DNA 75 and it the best of both!

Yeah I found fused or standard claptons need different wire types and more power but I've got some off Smut on the way to try in my regulated devices!

Yeah I'll try the 24 gauge so 6 wraps each side should be around .25 if I'm right? And about 16-17 amp draw?

Also hear a lot of people say don't let the battery drop bellow 3.7v is this just because of a battery longevity issue or possible venting ?

@conanthewarrior yeah I'll let you know what it's like ! I have a feeling I'm gonna love the squonking but maybe find the fact it's on a mech a pain but we will see! If that's the case I'll just get a DNA 75 and it the best of both!

Yeah I found fused or standard claptons need different wire types and more power but I've got some off Smut on the way to try in my regulated devices!

Yeah I'll try the 24 gauge so 6 wraps each side should be around .25 if I'm right? And about 16-17 amp draw?

Also hear a lot of people say don't let the battery drop bellow 3.7v is this just because of a battery longevity issue or possible venting ?
That sounds like a good idea, I think you will like it and a DNA75 would be great to add to the collection :).

Nice on the coils, I am sure you will love them in one of your regulated mods.

It should bring you somewhere around that resistance yes, 6 Wraps a side should be somewhere around that resistance, 7 wraps would be around 0.3 so I would expect it to fall around there.

I usually pull at around 3.6V myself, when you fire your mod the battery voltage will fall, which is your voltage under load. You don't want to take your batteries dangerously low, although at 3.7V it is more of a power thing. If you took your battery much lower than this, you would notice a big drop off in power, so 4.2-3.7V is a pretty common range to use for a mech.
It starts getting bad when your cell is operating under 2.5V- never go anywhere near this though, as under load your voltage would be even lower, and you could be hitting this with a higher resting voltage.

If you did accidentally go a little lower than this (3.7V), you won't risk harm, but you will notice power dropping off and want to change your battery by then.

@conanthewarrior

Cheers for that yeah I was thinking of 3mm inner diameter coil but I'll check on SE before I try it out obviously.

Yeah I have a couple of 75s I'm after so have to see when they become available !

Thanks on the voltage drop query ! I ran it through steam engine and it said 11mins total vape time based on 127 puffs lol so I'm guessing that would be a couple of hours for me before I need to swap out [emoji106]

@conanthewarrior

Cheers for that yeah I was thinking of 3mm inner diameter coil but I'll check on SE before I try it out obviously.

Yeah I have a couple of 75s I'm after so have to see when they become available !

Thanks on the voltage drop query ! I ran it through steam engine and it said 11mins total vape time based on 127 puffs lol so I'm guessing that would be a couple of hours for me before I need to swap out [emoji106]
Definitely try different sized coils, I just find 2.5MM to be a happy medium for me between small and larger coils.

The DNA75 is a very nice board, and a nice quality squonker with one in would be fantastic- you might be surprised though and really enjoy the mechanical squonker you have on the way. I do prefer regulated mods, but can still get a great vape from a mech, and there is not much to go wrong with a mech (Apart from keeping safe of course, as long as you don't do anything silly and are careful though, you will be fine using one).

Have you ever actually counted the puffs you use? At one time, I would drain a single 18650 mod very fast, within a couple of hours easily. This was chain vaping though, I now vape a fair bit less than this and if I used a mech alone, I get around half a day till I am at 3.6-3.7V.
As long as you aren't chain vaping with huge hits, it will last you a fair time between battery changes :).

I'm probably a bit late to the party here and maybe this has already been said:

you can control the wattage (and amps) to a degree in mech mods. but the wattage and amps decrease as the battery discharges.
this means you can calculate the maximum wattage and amps by assuming your battery is full

the formulas are
Watts = volts² / resistance
Amps = volts / resistance

take amps first (for safety); you stated you usually build at .5 or .3
4.2V / 0.5Ω = 8.4Amps
4.2V / 0.3Ω = 14 Amps
I believe HD2s are rated at 30A (as Tommy who stated)
this means you could go down to 0.15Ω and still be within that limit on a fully charged battery (that'd take you to 28amps)

as for wattage.......just multiply those figures by 4.2 to make it volts² / resistance

this makes
0.5Ω = 8.4 Amps and 35.3 watts
0.3Ω = 14 Amps and 58.8 watts
0.15Ω = 28 Amps and 117.6 watts

and as for tommy - he's vaping at 220 watts on a new battery. nutter. lmao

Bottom line - so long as you build above 0.15Ω you should be fine (assuming you battery is in good condition with no damage to the wraps) and can play until your hearts content.

I hope that helps a bit - rather than confuses you

Back
Top Bottom