What's new

Cloud chasing build advise

Cloud King

Initiate
So I'm looking to make some new coils for my hammer of god v3 I currently have dual coils reading 0.6ohms made from 8 5mm wraps of flatwire uk flat clapton kanthal wire, I want to Build this to make the biggest clouds possible but not sure what way to go with the coils, will I benefit from putting in 4 or even 6 smaller coils? And what kinda ohms to aim for as I've been told not to go less than 0.5 and Others have said 0.3?

Attachments

• IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 795
  • IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 735
First off you're really going to want to have a look at your coil building skillz sparky. The one on the top looks rather dodgy, the one on the bottom looks damned iffy. You'll want the wraps touching or evenly spaced, no just banged in. The lower one, that last, or first wrap, shouldnae be over lapping like that.
Well worth watching a few building videos on youtube - Grimm Green has a good one.

I had tae look up your gadget and it is a parallel series mod, so you have access to ~8 volts of power via the series bit and the amp draw of one and a half times what your batteries are rated for. This is due to the parallel nature of the set up.
If none of that makes any sense - GO READ UP ON IT! Plenty pages on using a series box or even look for pages on the Noisy Cricket.

As is, try stay at about 0.4-0.5 ohms other wise you will be stressing the batteries and you will more than likely be on facebook saying a big boy did it and ran away.

Getting cloudz bro cloudz is as much down to airflow and wicking as it is coil build. Going by the disaster photo you have a bit too much cotton under the coil. I'll also bet that the coils are nae to well placed to be getting hit by the airflow.

Go get your coil making sorted out first then worry about making like a smokestack.

@Arctic_Wolf @Tubbyengineer - can either of you two add some advice for the boy please?

First off - Forget claptons in that thing - way too low resistance. Start simple until you get the hang of the device - big dual SS316 coils will do, use 0.4 or 0.5. Go look at some build videos, make sure you've got the right kit for building and understand Ohms law and battery safety - that's a hell of a lot of power you'll be throwing around and frankly it's not really neccesary. Just this weekend I was getting thouroughly respectable clouds from a 22mm GP Dripper pro with only Half it's airflow and using 75w with a pair of @smut 's fantastic coils.
Throwing great big wodges of power at coils will result in nothing but a burnt taste and fire from your wicks - you need plenty of airflow and the right amount of the right wick too...

Right @Cloud King [emoji2]

Firstly nice mod. REALLY nice mod. I don't do mechs but if I did...well that's most likely what I'd get.

Everything @EmbraSewerRat said and more. You've one hell of a powerful UNREGULATED mod there chief. You've also got a 30mm RDA, which looks great on top of your HOG, but to build a 30mm effectively you've got to be a decent coil builder in the first place.

For now, and this won't take you very long so your HOG won't get shelved forever, I'd grab that regulated LMC 200 you've got and practice. Practice making a coil that doesn't look like a plate of spaghetti, works well and that sits within the ohms you're looking for- which for the HOG, imo, shouldn't be any lower than .4. Ever.

You can fit a tonne of wraps in that Buddha so you could still look at fancy wires- but crossing the legs? [emoji44].

You've seen what happened in Ghostbusters when they crossed the beams right? [emoji6]

Learn your craft on a regulated buddy. I can't emphasise enough how powerful that HOG is. Makes a tube mech look like a Duracell teddy......

A few quick calculations are saying that if using for example Samsung 25R's then you shouldn't really go below 0.3 Ohms, which would be 235w - You could get that out af a DNA board with far less risk. As a matter of safety I wouldn't reccomend taking your batteries any closer than 80% of your rated current unless you are 100% sure of what you're doing and 100% prepared for any accidents and any injury that might follow on from that...

First off you're really going to want to have a look at your coil building skillz sparky. The one on the top looks rather dodgy, the one on the bottom looks damned iffy. You'll want the wraps touching or evenly spaced, no just banged in. The lower one, that last, or first wrap, shouldnae be over lapping like that.
Well worth watching a few building videos on youtube - Grimm Green has a good one.

I had tae look up your gadget and it is a parallel series mod, so you have access to ~8 volts of power via the series bit and the amp draw of one and a half times what your batteries are rated for. This is due to the parallel nature of the set up.
If none of that makes any sense - GO READ UP ON IT! Plenty pages on using a series box or even look for pages on the Noisy Cricket.

As is, try stay at about 0.4-0.5 ohms other wise you will be stressing the batteries and you will more than likely be on facebook saying a big boy did it and ran away.

Getting cloudz bro cloudz is as much down to airflow and wicking as it is coil build. Going by the disaster photo you have a bit too much cotton under the coil. I'll also bet that the coils are nae to well placed to be getting hit by the airflow.

Go get your coil making sorted out first then worry about making like a smokestack.

@Arctic_Wolf @Tubbyengineer - can either of you two add some advice for the boy please?

Sorry, late to the party. It's been one of those days lol!!

You pretty much covered a lot of it yourself already anyway and @SirLugg and @Tubbyengineer have filled in the rest too :).

The Buddha's are most certainly beasts lol. As I've previously mentioned, I really don't use mine much though, it was more a curiosity thing than any serious intent lol. I just wanted to see what was possible and if an atty that big is actually worth it more for shits and giggles than anything else. I too haven't really spend enough time on mine to really get it chuffing and fully master it in all honesty. I'm not into mechs either like @SirLugg, I prefer regulated ;).

Definitely needs some finesse with the building though. I wouldn't bother with quad builds either, install 2 exceptionally well made chunky SS coils in there and wick them well and you'll be surprised :). They're gonna hit hard though lol, I hope you have some nice smooth liquids lol ;).

@Cloud King sound advice here so no need for me to say anything on that but I will help you out with a link to a video Ray put out there on showing people how to install coils perfectly. This video will give you some tips on centring your coil without getting that cross wire with tour legs. If you can master it putting the right bends in exactly the right place your coils will preform much better

Right @Cloud King [emoji2]

Firstly nice mod. REALLY nice mod. I don't do mechs but if I did...well that's most likely what I'd get.

Everything @EmbraSewerRat said and more. You've one hell of a powerful UNREGULATED mod there chief. You've also got a 30mm RDA, which looks great on top of your HOG, but to build a 30mm effectively you've got to be a decent coil builder in the first place.

For now, and this won't take you very long so your HOG won't get shelved forever, I'd grab that regulated LMC 200 you've got and practice. Practice making a coil that doesn't look like a plate of spaghetti, works well and that sits within the ohms you're looking for- which for the HOG, imo, shouldn't be any lower than .4. Ever.

You can fit a tonne of wraps in that Buddha so you could still look at fancy wires- but crossing the legs? [emoji44].

You've seen what happened in Ghostbusters when they crossed the beams right? [emoji6]

Learn your craft on a regulated buddy. I can't emphasise enough how powerful that HOG is. Makes a tube mech look like a Duracell teddy......
Thanks
@Cloud King sound advice here so no need for me to say anything on that but I will help you out with a link to a video Ray put out there on showing people how to install coils perfectly. This video will give you some tips on centring your coil without getting that cross wire with tour legs. If you can master it putting the right bends in exactly the right place your coils will preform much better

Thanks for the advise I have a lmc box mod happens to be the first mod I had owned but had only ever had ore made coils lol since your post I've had a lot of practice trying to master cool building and am making pretty good coils currently using anarchist competition wire now and it's working great! No more spaghetti coils lol

A few quick calculations are saying that if using for example Samsung 25R's then you shouldn't really go below 0.3 Ohms, which would be 235w - You could get that out af a DNA board with far less risk. As a matter of safety I wouldn't reccomend taking your batteries any closer than 80% of your rated current unless you are 100% sure of what you're doing and 100% prepared for any accidents and any injury that might follow on from that...[/QUOT
Thanks

Thanks for the advise I have a lmc box mod happens to be the first mod I had owned but had only ever had ore made coils lol since your post I've had a lot of practice trying to master cool building and am making pretty good coils currently using anarchist competition wire now and it's working great! No more spaghetti coils lol

Thanks for the link found it helpful:2thumbsup:

Sorry, late to the party. It's been one of those days lol!!

You pretty much covered a lot of it yourself already anyway and @SirLugg and @Tubbyengineer have filled in the rest too :).

The Buddha's are most certainly beasts lol. As I've previously mentioned, I really don't use mine much though, it was more a curiosity thing than any serious intent lol. I just wanted to see what was possible and if an atty that big is actually worth it more for shits and giggles than anything else. I too haven't really spend enough time on mine to really get it chuffing and fully master it in all honesty. I'm not into mechs either like @SirLugg, I prefer regulated ;).

Definitely needs some finesse with the building though. I wouldn't bother with quad builds either, install 2 exceptionally well made chunky SS coils in there and wick them well and you'll be surprised :). They're gonna hit hard though lol, I hope you have some nice smooth liquids lol ;).
Cool yea I find I don't use mine for a while then I pick it up and can put it down for days lol

Back
Top Bottom