What's new

The 3d printing thread

I'm thinking of jumping into the world of 3D printing and was hoping you clever peeps might be able to give me some advice. I'm thinking of possibly starting a new business/hobby/thing depending on how the prototype comes together, making affordable ultrasonic record cleaning machines and it seems to me that 3D printing might be the best option for making supports for the motor/spacers and various other small parts. There is nothing that needs any great detail, more solid basic functional doobries. But I don't want to spend too much for something that might end up being a crap idea. So I've been looking at a cheap Prusa i3 kit from eBay. Building the kit to a high standard of accuracy ain't a problem as the OH builds much bigger machines for a living and relies on absolute accuracy but I just wasn't sure if the actual quality of the printing was usable. It seems these kit based printers also seem the best for pimping out and tweaking. Or is there something else I should be looking at (with a bit of saving up!)?

just been reading through this thread, well not really just...its taken a few days lol, but the ultrasonic record cleaning thing I have also looked into as I sell vinyl and the cost of a moth or okki nokki is quite ridiculous!!! I use a homemade contraption based on an old turntable and an adapted arm currently, but its probably quicker to do by hand!!!! Have seen adapted ultrasonics for record cleaning and would be interested in making one myself, which ultrasonic cleaner would you be using in your conversions? I have read that the chinese versions are too low a frequency at 40hz, but for a 3ltr plus at a higher frequency the cost would likely reach that of the moths and co. wouldn't they?

Apologies for going a little off topic here

just been reading through this thread, well not really just...its taken a few days lol, but the ultrasonic record cleaning thing I have also looked into as I sell vinyl and the cost of a moth or okki nokki is quite ridiculous!!! I use a homemade contraption based on an old turntable and an adapted arm currently, but its probably quicker to do by hand!!!! Have seen adapted ultrasonics for record cleaning and would be interested in making one myself, which ultrasonic cleaner would you be using in your conversions? I have read that the chinese versions are too low a frequency at 40hz, but for a 3ltr plus at a higher frequency the cost would likely reach that of the moths and co. wouldn't they?

Apologies for going a little off topic here
Good timing as I'm up to my arms in cleaning at the mo (but with my diy vacuum which sounds similar to what you are using, loricraft based old tt). I had a test run of the ultrasonic this morning and it's back to the drawing board as the label protectors didn't work! Luckily I wasn't cleaning anything good! It's just a cheap eBay ultrasonic, 6l at 40hz and I'm doubting it is good enough although I've seen a few companies selling the same model ready converted. The general consensus seems the 40-60hz is fine but I'm not convinced that 3 transducers is enough for the amount of liquid. From my test run, the ultrasonic doesn't yet get anywhere close to my vacuum with l'art du son. I can see it being useful for dislodging particles which are wedged into the grooves but not so good for years of tobacco tar!

So do you sell online? I'm all spent at the moment after Christmas but I'm always on the look out for new dealers to check out for those hard to find circles of black crack :D

@Purplefowler yes i sell on discogs and ebay mainly but do some record fairs when I can, depending on what stock I have at the time! Let me know if you want anything specific, I got quite a varied selection and about 10,000 in the garage/mancave/homegym still to go through ;) So many problems with cleaning records really, nothing too hot, nothing rough, thats before you address the label issue and motor/bracket for the spinning!

So this happened last night.. meet the Jiggeroo Clapton Coiling Jig.. yeah, I came across the Daedalus system and had to make this. The Feeder is Nylon so it won't wear out easily and it'll also feed smoothly due to nylon being self lubricating. If it does wear out, it's replaceable. They're up on the AxMod website should you be interested..

20170119_033409_HDR.jpg

So this happened last night.. meet the Jiggeroo Clapton Coiling Jig.. yeah, I came across the Daedalus system and had to make this. The Feeder is Nylon so it won't wear out easily and it'll also feed smoothly due to nylon being self lubricating. If it does wear out, it's replaceable. They're up on the AxMod website should you be interested..

20170119_033409_HDR.jpg
How is tension on the spool maintained @ax ?

Back
Top Bottom