What's new

Battery Arcing?

jacquesy90

Postman
Evening all, cant seem to find much solid info on this issue so would be great to get some good advice from the more experienced...

I recently purchased an av able clone, my first hybrid. Its lovely and vapes great.

Using it with a brand new set of VTC5as runnin dual twisted 26g KA1 in the Goon 24 coming in at 0.2ohms

When i pull the battery around 3.8v im noticing tiny little black spots on the negative end of the battery, is this signs of arcing from the positive pin? Is it dangerous or a common occurance with hybrids? Ive never had the problem on any mods with 510s.

Ive read about using a pencil eraser to get rid of them but that dusnt seem to help. All threads on the mod & contacts have been thoroughly cleaned and polished but still they seem to pop up.

Every other aspect of mech/battery saftey im pretty confident with but i just cant seem to find any solid info on this problem and want to be 100% safe.

Is anyone familair with this issue? Any advice on what i should do ?

Cheers

It's quite common on mechs. Is it just black marks or is the terminal quite pitted? Got any close up pics?

Nearly all mechs arc, it's nothing to really worry about unless it's causing a hot button or sparks.
I found a nail buffer to be more effective than a pencil eraser at removing arcing marks.

Another tip I'd like to offer is swap that kanthal wire for some 24awg NI80 (Nichrome). You'll find it far more satisfying on a mech. Just be aware that you'll need a few more wraps to reach your desired 0.2ohm as its lower resistance wire.

In my experience you will always get some degree of arcing on a mech it's just the nature of the beast.Unless you are getting a hot button or the battery is really black I wouldn't worry about it too much. A fingernail buffer works well just don't use anything metallic like wire wool in case residue falls in the threads or gets attracted to the Able's enormous magnets :)

Nearly all mechs arc, it's nothing to really worry about unless it's causing a hot button or sparks.
I found a nail buffer to be more effective than a pencil eraser at removing arcing marks.

Another tip I'd like to offer is swap that kanthal wire for some 24awg NI80 (Nichrome). You'll find it far more satisfying on a mech. Just be aware that you'll need a few more wraps to reach your desired 0.2ohm as its lower resistance wire.

+1 for ni80 , I also use SS316L , kanthal has too much of a ramp up for me on a mech

Thanks for the quick replys guys.

It's quite common on mechs. Is it just black marks or is the terminal quite pitted? Got any close up pics?

Just tiny little black marks going round in a circle, cant even pic them up on camera they are that small lol. Havent noticed any pitting.

Thanks mate, thats very reassuring. I will give the nail buffer a shot, seen a video of someone using them on mechs contacts aswell and was meaning to pick one up.

Thanks for the tip, im due a wire order soon so will add some ni80. Was having a look at the "brochrome" flat ni80 stuff on stealthvape earlier, might have a go at that never used flat wire before.

+1 for ni80 , I also use SS316L , kanthal has too much of a ramp up for me on a mech

Its suprised me, maybe because ive never used a hybrid before, even this twisted 26g kanthal ramps up pretty quick! Going to give ni80 a bash next tho :2thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick replys guys.

Just tiny little black marks going round in a circle, cant even pic them up on camera they are that small lol. Havent noticed any pitting.

Thanks mate, thats very reassuring. I will give the nail buffer a shot, seen a video of someone using them on mechs contacts aswell and was meaning to pick one up.

Thanks for the tip, im due a wire order soon so will add some ni80. Was having a look at the "brochrome" flat ni80 stuff on stealthvape earlier, might have a go at that never used flat wire before.
The brochrome is nice. [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom