What's new

Building for a series mech

newbmark

Postman
Morning guys,

I went on a bit of a shopping spree yesterday and amongst my shopping was a stacked able (Happy Christmas Mark, Love Mark :)). I've had a play in steam engine and none of the wire I have at present is going to be suitable.

Using a single battery tube I usually aim to build between 5 and 7 wraps, depending on wire and the resistance I am looking for. I mainly use wrathful n80 or niflat at the moment but have been considering the use of stainless steel. My question is, what wire is everyone using in their RDA for series builds? Having a quick play with steam engine using n80 or SS will mean my coils are either obnoxiously large or made from wire thinner than a human hair. Is Kanthal my only option?

For info the deck I'll be building on will be either a 3 post Comp Lyfe battle deck, a 2 post Comp Lyfe battle deck or a 20mm Apocalypse deck

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Kanthal (0.25 or 0.3mm) is the highest resistance and you don't need TC so it's your best option if you don't want too much wattage. The main advantage of the series mech is higher watts with a bigger coil to get more contact area.

Keep the build over 0.4 ohms just to be safe otherwise the amp draw could be scary. 0.4 or 0.5 mm kanthal. Or decent sized fused Clapton coils.
Grimm Green and Twisted Messes have good recommendations.

Something like this with 0.7mm kanthal comes to 0.6/7ish iirc.
Might be able to do it on the two-post - two coils in series. Otherwise I tend to go for a single big clapton aiming for 0.5Ω or above.

DV Series.jpg

28ka1/40ni80 Fused Flapton, 7 wraps, 3mm id 0.45ohms
2828ka1/38ni80 Alien, 9 wraps, 3mm id, 0.38ohms

Personally i dont see the need in using ni80 or SS for series builds, as the added volts eliminates the ramp up time that you'd normally have from kanthal and dont have to build the coil as big as you would with low resistance wire.

Cheers guys, time to go wire shopping :)

Not sure I'm brave enough to make my own claptons etc. but I've got a mate who makes them so may see if he can knock me some up.

This all started out as, "I'll get myself a 2 post battle deck" and has turned into 2 decks, 2 caps, 2 ables, an extension tube, 4x new batteries (for married pairs) and now wire too! I must be on Santas good list, not sure the bank manager will be my friend in the new year though!

28ka1/40ni80 Fused Flapton, 7 wraps, 3mm id 0.45ohms
2828ka1/38ni80 Alien, 9 wraps, 3mm id, 0.38ohms

Personally i dont see the need in using ni80 or SS for series builds, as the added volts eliminates the ramp up time that you'd normally have from kanthal and dont have to build the coil as big as you would with low resistance wire.

@smut excuse my ignorance but I've not managed to master calculating out the resistance of claptons etc. I assume those resistances are for a pair and not per coil.

Keep the build over 0.4 ohms just to be safe otherwise the amp draw could be scary. 0.4 or 0.5 mm kanthal. Or decent sized fused Clapton coils.
Grimm Green and Twisted Messes have good recommendations.
Cheers, my plan was to start at 0.5 and gradually move down from there. I've done some ohms law calcs already and only use VTC5A batteries in my mechs so I have plenty of room to move and margin for error. To be honest I imagine this mod will spend most of it's life with the stacked extension detached or be a house mod. It does have a bit of a resemblance to an offensive weapon!

Back
Top Bottom