What's new

Wanting to start building a mod

Sellinggear

Hey im a time served mechanic and I also have a bit of electrical know how from working on wind turbines. Wanting to build my own device possible a squonker. Would love to make my own tank but lacking a lathe. Any tips of where to get advice for building my first mod

Modmaker.co.uk and Stealthvape should be your first point of call. Modmaker have wiring diagrams in the info section.

There's a lot you can do without a lathe. At it's simplest: enclosure, battery sled, squonk 510 connector, then either a MOSFET circuit or copper/brass switching circuit...

+1 on Modmaker and Stealthvape....you'll find all you need in one or both of them.
There's lots of us here that either have built a mod or build mods all the time, so don't be afraid to ask.

I agree with the other replies, the places suggested have been my go to's since I started building

I too am thinking about starting a mod build.

Thinking about going down the DNA road....prob DNA75 and single 18650

Trawled both the recommended sites on this thread, both pretty much have everything covered - ModMaker is slightly cheaper on boards though, £37.99 compared to £39.99 for StealthVape....not a big difference.

Priced up a modest kit for a complete build, came to about £70....inc DNA75, two gauges of wire, actuators, 510, enclosure, sled, magnets....everything - well impressed.

Questions:

- In terms of soldering, what type is best? All I can find from the usual places (Maplins etc) is lead free...is this any good? Do I have any choice?
- Do I need to use flux? The YouTube vids I have watched (all American btw) all use a flux....can't remember which one they use though.
- Are the magnets epoxied in? Or super glued? Or something else?
- What about stand-offs? Will I need them, or can I just epoxy the sled etc to the enclosure?
- Grounding everything - how should I go about this? I'm assuming this is done through the board mountings?
(I'm thinking about an anodised aluminium enclosure - ModMaker SmallBoy)

Sorry for the noob questions....it's because I am one when it comes to mod building!
I know my way round a soldering iron....did my O and A level electronics many moons ago, but I'm sure my old grey matter still works....with a bit of coaxing!

Just my 5p:

- In terms of soldering, what type is best? All I can find from the usual places (Maplins etc) is lead free...is this any good? Do I have any choice?
I personally find lead free a pain in the ass to work with. If you can find flux cored lead based solder it will make things easier, as flux is your friend when soldering onto small contacts.

- Do I need to use flux? The YouTube vids I have watched (all American btw) all use a flux....can't remember which one they use though.
The contacts you will solder to that go to the 510 connection / output side of the DNA75 are about 1mm apart (the battery contacts are further apart and easier to solder). So, for soldering the 510 it's best if you can solder each wire in one go. Multiple presses of the soldering iron onto the DNA75 board risks bridging the board connection with excess solder, requiring fiddly de-soldering. So, trim and strip your wires appropriately, then flux and tin them. Then offer the tinned wire to the DNA75 board, light pressure with the iron and you should have a good neat connection. Generally all fluxes work about the same.

- Are the magnets epoxied in? Or super glued? Or something else?
Both super glue and epoxy have both worked for me. If you've made up a pile of epoxy use that.

- What about stand-offs? Will I need them, or can I just epoxy the sled etc to the enclosure?
Dunno, I use 3D printed enclosures with built-in mounts, so hopefully someone else will chip-in here.

- Grounding everything - how should I go about this? I'm assuming this is done through the board mountings?
You can, but as I'm mounting in plastic boxes I use a four wire circuit (pos/neg to 510, pos/neg to battery). Grounding through the box means you solder a little bit less.

Good luck :2thumbsup:

Thanks davros, some good info there to get me started.

Digikey Electronics seems to be the place to go for leaded solder, flux etc - think I'll probably check 'em out.

The DNA75 board is actually supplied (from both Stealth and Modmaker) with a free 3D printed mount kit, so that answers the standoff question - but then of course the board wouldn't be grounded through the box.
Can't win 'em all I guess!

Not sure when I will begin my faffing with wires and stuff, might be in the new year now, but looking forward to it - gonna be well satisfying :D

Back
Top Bottom