Vape Superstore
What's new

Idiot's guide to TC please

Even most mods that do have 316L SS or TCR functions don't provide accurate TC for SS coils of 0.15 to 0.2 ohms. Not that you'll come to any harm vaping stainless on any TC setting, it just probably won't give a satisfactory vape or any form of accurate temp control..

Premier Ecigs
Thanks lads. I'll give stainless steel a bash and it also gives me an excuse to buy some new wire and bits :D

You can get away with using SS in temp mode if you use the Ti setting - but you'll need to be aware of the fact that the temp setting will be completely inaccurate so just start low and work up to something that feels right, and also, that due to the fact that Ti's response curve is steeper than the one for SS you will likely get overruns in temperature and that a 5 degree adjust ment in Ti could be worth 20 or 30 degrees in SS. If you really want something that uses SS but doesn't cost the earth then the SMY SDNA75 is a good bet - You can pick one up for Under £42 on FT - https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010520/4665902-authentic-simeiyue-smy-sdna75-75w-tc-vw-apv-box

Vape Green
You can get away with using SS in temp mode if you use the Ti setting - but you'll need to be aware of the fact that the temp setting will be completely inaccurate so just start low and work up to something that feels right, and also, that due to the fact that Ti's response curve is steeper than the one for SS you will likely get overruns in temperature and that a 5 degree adjust ment in Ti could be worth 20 or 30 degrees in SS. If you really want something that uses SS but doesn't cost the earth then the SMY SDNA75 is a good bet - You can pick one up for Under £42 on FT - https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010520/4665902-authentic-simeiyue-smy-sdna75-75w-tc-vw-apv-box

I've had a fiddle. I've got a 0.7 ohm coil. I've switched from wattage to TC. The wattage carried over at 30 watts. I adjusted the temp to 140c took a toot and got a nice thick vape. I upped it to 250c and the cloud is not as thick. What would cause that?

I've had a fiddle. I've got a 0.7 ohm coil. I've switched from wattage to TC. The wattage carried over at 30 watts. I adjusted the temp to 140c took a toot and got a nice thick vape. I upped it to 250c and the cloud is not as thick. What would cause that?
The wick drying out - you'll get less and less vapour, and it will get cooler. Same thing happens if you've got too much wick...

E-liquids.com
@vapemac using SS in Ti mode is pointless, you would have to be able to set the temp to less than 100C for it to work at all - a setting of 100C translates to about 350C actual temperature for SS316 in Ti mode, which is far too hot. The coil will never hit set temperature and just continue to fire at the set wattage, which is identical to just using power mode.

AcmeFog
Why do most vapers prefer SS to nickel or titanium?
Nickel is the least suitable TC wire and is a PITA to work with. Titanium is the most accurate TC wire and provides a great vape but is quite springy to work with so takes some taming. 316L SS is easy to work with and can be used in wattage mode if things go Pete Tong in TC. It has poor characteristics for accurate TC vaping but if you build high enough and have a decent mod, it is convenient and clean tasting.
NiFe30/48 are perhaps better than all of them in many respects though.

If you have a real interest in it definitely as suggested invest in a mod much better suited to TC :). As also advised, any DNA 75, 200 or 250 and you're going to get a much better vape all round :).

TC builds need to be very lightly wicked. You barely want to feel the resistance of your wicking passing through the coil, unlike wattage builds where you're wanting to feel a decent bit of resistance. It can take a few goes to really nail it.

Get yaself a DNA and if you're looking at NiFe, NiFe48 would probably be your best bet if you don't like the lower resistance builds and it's incredibly accurate as well. StealthVape NiFe30 (or NiFe70 if you purchase from Crazy Wire) is very low in resistance.

You're not really going to want to use SS in TC until you get the better mod first ;).

Smoore
If you have a real interest in it definitely as suggested invest in a mod much better suited to TC :). As also advised, any DNA 75, 200 or 250 and you're going to get a much better vape all round :).

TC builds need to be very lightly wicked. You barely want to feel the resistance of your wicking passing through the coil, unlike wattage builds where you're wanting to feel a decent bit of resistance. It can take a few goes to really nail it.

Get yaself a DNA and if you're looking at NiFe, NiFe48 would probably be your best bet if you don't like the lower resistance builds and it's incredibly accurate as well. StealthVape NiFe30 (or NiFe70 if you purchase from Crazy Wire) is very low in resistance.

You're not really going to want to use SS in TC until you get the better mod first ;).
To be honest I really just wanted to try it because it's a setting on the mod. :)

Back
Top Bottom