What's new

Long term nic storage - sterilise or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterile's good but you know if you're storing nic in PG ... not many germs are going to be alive in that bottle. ;)

+1 on PG nic.
Not sure why people would consider anything else for long term storage unless they have an actual allergy to pg.
I already see more threads about bad nic in vg than pg. As we start using our freezer stocks I expect to see more.
As far as I know it was only the advent of high vg vaping that lead to the supply of vg nic. Before that nic was in pg because of its preservative properties.
Time will tell.

+1 on PG nic.
Not sure why people would consider anything else for long term storage unless they have an actual allergy to pg.
I already see more threads about bad nic in vg than pg. As we start using our freezer stocks I expect to see more.
As far as I know it was only the advent of high vg vaping that lead to the supply of vg nic. Before that nic was in pg because of its preservative properties.
Time will tell.
People who prefer max' VG juices or prefer working with VG nic' might consider VG for long term storage. There seems to be very little actual research into how PG and VG nicotine fares long term, when kept in the freezer. The "Professional chemist" guy's comments that are always wheeled out for such occasions don't, as far as I can ascertain, really differentiate between the two and he even admits to storing his own nic' supply in VG. I guess we will find out though.

People who prefer max' VG juices or prefer working with VG nic' might consider VG for long term storage. There seems to be very little actual research into how PG and VG nicotine fares long term, when kept in the freezer. The "Professional chemist" guy's comments that are always wheeled out for such occasions don't, as far as I can ascertain, really differentiate between the two and he even admits to storing his own nic' supply in VG. I guess we will find out though.

We certainly will find out.
If max vg is what you must have, for whatever reason then it is you only option.
For everyone else I would recommend pg nic. I see threads now with people using vg nic and also adding pg, it makes no sense.
My anecdotal observation than most bad nic threads involve vg nic, while not scientific convinces me that nic supliers were right to supply nic for many years in pg rather than vg.

I guess we will all find out in time. Hopefully there won't be be lots of "my nic tastes bad" posts a few months/years from now, hence my initial post to help me get off to the best possible start.

I see threads now with people using vg nic and also adding pg, it makes no sense.
Not sure I agree with that. There's no question that VG nic leaves a wider range of mixing options open. I generally have to add a little PG to my own mixes, but if I wanted to use an occasional high flavour percentage recipe or mix a relatively high flavour percentage recipe with higher nicotine strength for someone else, only VG nic would allow me to do so while maintaining a 70 or 80 VG end result. If there were no questions over the long term storage capabilities of either PG or VG nicotine, and I'm not convinced there are, I'd never recommend someone to use PG nicotine.

Not sure I agree with that. There's no question that VG nic leaves a wider range of mixing options open. I generally have to add a little PG to my own mixes, but if I wanted to use an occasional high flavour percentage recipe or mix a relatively high flavour percentage recipe with higher nicotine strength for someone else, only VG nic would allow me to do so while maintaining a 70 or 80 VG end result. If there were no questions over the long term storage capabilities of either PG or VG nicotine, and I'm not convinced there are, I'd never recommend someone to use PG nicotine.

I'm in the same boat. If the general consensus didn't point towards PG nic for for long term storage then I would have gone VG myself. Let's hope it's the right choice!

If there were no questions over the long term storage capabilities of either PG or VG nicotine, and I'm not convinced there are, I'd never recommend someone to use PG nicotine.
I'm not sure I follow your meaning here ... are you saying you'd never recommend PG nic?

We represent two views on this topic, and your view has increased with the popularity of high vg vaping.

I am not sure that the science has changed much over that time period. People should do their own reading on the topic. We are not going to change our positions.

This thread is about long term storage of nic. The best advice is, if you want the best chance of storing long term then pg is the way to go, as the sticky in the mixology section has been advising since 2012 https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...threads/how-long-can-you-store-nicotine.5682/ I am sure plenty of vapers with a scientific background have read that thread since then have not had issue with that advice. I am sure if the science changes then that thread will quickly be changed.
If you have good reason to believe that the advice being given in the long term storage sticky thread is wrong you should bring it to light.

A year or so ago everybody was using pg nic because that was all there was. About the time of the kanger subtank craze the whole high vg thing took off and the vg nic arived on the scene. Nothing else changed appart from some people found it a problem to vape anything less than 80vg.
If you have to vape 80 vg with 20% flavour then you will have to take your chances with vg nic but the best science says my nic will last longer than yours.

I'm not sure I follow your meaning here ... are you saying you'd never recommend PG nic?
I'd not recommend PG nic' over VG nic' due to the increased options available with VG nic'.

I am not sure that the science has changed much over that time period. People should do their own reading on the topic. We are not going to change our positions.
What exactly is the science on it? I haven't been able to find any so I'd be very grateful if you would link me to it.

This thread is about long term storage of nic. The best advice is, if you want the best chance of storing long term then pg is the way to go, as the sticky in the mixology section has been advising since 2012 https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/advanced-pv-mod-making-and-diy-discussion/mixology/threads/how-long-can-you-store-nicotine.5682/ I am sure plenty of vapers with a scientific background have read that thread since then have not had issue with that advice.
I must have read that thread 50 times and I can't for the life of me see where it suggests that PG nic' should last longer in the freezer than VG nic'. The "professional chemist" doesn't appear to recommend one over the other and then some other guy asserts that PG nic' lasts longer on the shelf than VG nic' therefore it will last longer in the freezer. It's possible posts have been removed from the thread or that I am missing something, but I can't for the life of me see anything approaching strong evidence or even strong opinion that PG is preferable to VG for long term nicotine storage.

@Mr Numpty not sure that there is any science on the long term storage of nic but if you just read up on pg and vg and its uses you will find that both are used as carrier fluids for other things but that pg is used also for its preservative properties in medecines and foods, I assume it is also part of the reason it is used for nic and flavours.It is on the bases of the basic properties of pg and vg that most chemists would expect pg nic to store better than vg nic.

Anyway my job is done here, between us we have made a few people consider what kind of base to buy their long term storage nic in.
I will leave it to them to look into it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom