What's new

vaping-in-the office - relaxed or tense

Will

Initiate
I was recently told that I cannot vape in the office I work in - I have been told that I have to vape in the 'smoking shelter' and inhale, passively, known carcinogens. Does anyone know what my rights are?

From personal experience, I find that it is at the owners discretion whether or not you can vape.
I've been kicked out of gigs before for vaping (well, asked un-politely to do it outside).
Same with a few pubs I know around the area :(

Another idea, would be to just walk out onto the street (If it's not to far) so you don't have to worry about passive!

I have to vape 30 metres away from the building because 'my PV looks like a cigarette from a distance'. The arses must be blind as I use an ego twist 1000mah with an evod at work. Does that look like a cigarette?! Anyhoo I now stealth vape in the toilets as I hate standing in 'smokers corner' when I worked really hard at getting off the stinkies. Only time I do is when people are curious and ask loads of questions or want a go....lol

Started off vaping at work.

Silly bitch at the desk next to me got a cold and decided my vapour was messing with her nose and eyes :S

So now I vape outside....

Said silly bitch was off work yesterday. Desk vape ahoy! :D

Ultimately as stated though, they boss, we not :(

I do not find myself convinced that an employer can tell an employee whether they can vape or not on their premises. There is no legal precedent for them to claim that it is in their gift to instruct an employee in this way. If they were to say 'you cannot pick your nose at your desk' - I might go along with this, if they were to say, no eating, drinking coffee etc at your desk, I might say there is a reason for this. But to forbid vaping? I think an employer does not automatically have any rights in this area and intend to fight this, initially through the (weak) union.

Not having a pop mate, but as you rightly say, they can indeed ban you from using mobile phones, eating at your desk, even from wearing too much jewellery or having visible tattoos.

So other than the fact this particular rule affects you, what do you feel is unlawful in a company having a no indoor vaping policy?

Would you write to your local mp if a pub said no vaping?

I reckon it is the employers right, but I have previously had no issues chilling out with smokers outside whilst vaping, or stealthing it in hidden corners.

Sure, vaping is a lot less poisonous than smoking, yadayada, but unless you are on zero nic, you are still satiating a craving for nicotine, and most emploers won't let alcoholics drinks shots, or smackheads jack up at their work stations. Okay, get the union on that, Carry On At Your Convenience.

But I feel the same way towards the rights of venues, if it isn't clear that a pub is a vaping pub, I'll ask behind the bar.

People working in or running places have enough guff to deal with without having to deal with the irate customers or employees that you get everywhere that'll piss on everybody elses fun, so don't be like them, don't be mememe, have an ounce of self-control too, if you can't survive a few hours without a fix, get therapy, or patches ;)

This may seem arsey, maybe because I'm applying my own values in relation to this predicament to print, but really it is just an honest opinion. And I would love a workplace that allowed me to jack up and vape at my station ;)

What I am outraged about though is not being allowed to masturbate in churches!

Back
Top Bottom