What's new

Patina help

jock1092

Achiever
So I've been trying to force patina my smpl clone worth next to zero results and wondered if anyone could help.
Started by really sanding off the remains of the clear coat on it then went with a vinegar patina, left it for about 2 days to find a small change in colour but nothing huge so left it longer still only went a little darker
Thought maybe I never quite for the coating off so another mega sanding but this time tried salt and vinegar and got a lovely turquoise... On one tiny spot but that was it.
What might I be doing wrong?ive tried submerged, suspended and sprayed, sprayed and air dried and wrapped in tissue that was sprayed.
Can't access ammonia because I can't find it except quitanannana something ammonites

Check out eBay for your ammonia
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161101850413
Basic tip I can give you is just to wear gloves of some kind to keep the mod as clean as possible otherwise it will affect the patina,but I assume you know that already if you've watched a few vids,I went with a mustard patina on my smpl,maybe @Drummergav will be on here at some point he really is a master of the art of patina work

If it's the brass smpl it's a bitch to get it to take a patina(ive a thread around here called 'let's see the blue' took me about a week and a half dozen attempts to get even close to what I wanted with ammonia and salt)
4e34268d9147124d1e3eb7ebbda1a99f.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't on tanks and I don't think I'd do it on a dripper either. You're effectively creating a corroded surface and I wouldn't want any part of that in my juice

It's the copper smpl should have said...
Anyway after about a week of fail, no result, sand, tray again I gave up and went bleach route.
Gave a nice dark/black patina then I started a dip in bleach and sprinkle of salt and repeated for a day.
Resulted in a dark cloudy mod with spots of bright blue looked amazing.... Then I used brush on clear coat and lost all but one or two spots and lightened up the mod but still looks good.

Attachments

• 20160902_113719.jpg
    20160902_113719.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom