What's new

Evic VTC Mini Vrs Pico on SS304 TC - which is best / most stable

johnr7

Achiever
Well,after owning TC mods for more than a year, buying Ni200 12 months ago and never trying it, I have finally, just, began to dabble in the dark side.........

I have been pretty much exclusively using SS304 in POWER mode for the last 2 weeks.
Boredom, curiosity and 'encouragement' from here has seen me just this moment give TC a try.

Much reading and research (thanks to this wonderful forum & downloading manual from Joyetech) has seen me set my Evic mini to:-
SS
0.4 ohm
35 watt
420 F

Pretty impressed so far (10 minutes).

I have identical (as close as can be) tank set-ups on the Evic & Pico.
The Pico is running power at 24 watt.
The toot experience is pretty similar but placebo effect and new toys has me thinking TC edges it.......

So my question to the forum:-

If I set the Pico to TC is it better / worse / just as good as the Evic?

I know I could just try it but thought I would look for any experience on here, and add more 'data' for people thinking of trying.
I seem to recall reading that the Evic punches above it's price point when it comes to TC control, not sure on the Pico.

Many Thanks for any replies

Do a burnt cotton test, see which one can cut (control) the power the quickest..

Edit...and most accurate, the cotton should slightly mark around 440f

Judging from the images in the article @danb has linked to then the Pico runs very slightly cooler at 400f, similar at 500f and slightly hotter at 600f, however the days of really bad TC seem to be mostly over and now most mods give broadly similar experiences. Burn tests aren't the be all and end all of TC though, theres also the way that the device actually implements the power delivery. Once up to temperature the way the power is regulated can have an effect on the way the vape is perceived, If the mod does a PWM type control then you may notice a "Flutter" or "Pulsing" effect to the vape as the power is cut in and out rapidly to maintain a stable temperature. In the end though it will come down to personal preference and trial and error. I'd reccomend getting a good build setup in an atty, run it on your Evic for a while to be sure you're happy with the way it works in TC mode, then let it cool, pop it on the Pico at the same settings and give it another go - that should give you a pretty good comparison of the two, but if it's not perfect don't panic - some mods just need to be turned up or down a little, particularly when the TC has been implemented by different manufacturers...

If you're using ss304 coils then you should be using the tcr modes... Ss304 has a tcr of 105 and I believe both the Evic and pico presets are for ss316 which has a tcr of 92.
Both should be broadly similar, as @Tubbyengineer said most newer ones are, but Eleaf and Joyetech are part of the same company selling under different brands so the innards are likely to be virtually identical. Also make sure you have any updates installed on the mods, especially the Evic because I believe TC in earlier firmwares was a bit janky.
I currently use 3 TC mods and use similar, but not identical settings... Using my Evic as a baseline:

Evic vtc mini 240c @ 25watts
Wismec rx75 235c @ 25watts
Coolfire IV 18650 240c @ 30watts.

The Evic and rx75 should be the same, all comes under the Joyetech brand again, but I have to run the rx75 5c cooler to get a similar experience. The Coolfire is a completely different manufacturer/chipset and I'm finding I have to run 5 to 10 watts higher. Play with the settings until you find what works best for your particular setup.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.
Not had / currently got time to run the exact same tank on the different mods, too impatient to vape :18: and try other stuff.

Set both up on practically the same build (one reads 0.40 and one 0.35).
Resistance locked and tooting away.
The Pico fires at 75 watt (can't adjust) and I have set 0.35 ohm at 440 fahrenheit (227C).
Evic firing at 35 watt, 0.4 ohm set at 390 fahrenheit (199C). (Was 420 on other juice but had to dial back on juice change for some reason - only flavour too).
This is giving broadly the 'same' vape.
It looks like they behave slightly differently but I can live with that. Enjoying it so far and think I am converted full time :hmm:.

I would say I can feel the Pico 'pulsing' more than the Evic but not enough issue to go back to power.

My current 'test', just to see out of curiosity is to reset my Evic timer and see how long the battery lasts on actual draw time, then I will reset and repeat in power.
Don't think the result would skew me one way or the other, just curious.

If you're using ss304 coils then you should be using the tcr modes... Ss304 has a tcr of 105 and I believe both the Evic and pico presets are for ss316 which has a tcr of 92.
Both should be broadly similar, as @Tubbyengineer said most newer ones are, but Eleaf and Joyetech are part of the same company selling under different brands so the innards are likely to be virtually identical. Also make sure you have any updates installed on the mods, especially the Evic because I believe TC in earlier firmwares was a bit janky.
I currently use 3 TC mods and use similar, but not identical settings... Using my Evic as a baseline:

Evic vtc mini 240c @ 25watts
Wismec rx75 235c @ 25watts
Coolfire IV 18650 240c @ 30watts.

The Evic and rx75 should be the same, all comes under the Joyetech brand again, but I have to run the rx75 5c cooler to get a similar experience. The Coolfire is a completely different manufacturer/chipset and I'm finding I have to run 5 to 10 watts higher. Play with the settings until you find what works best for your particular setup.

I did consider setting the TCR manually.
As a newbie and playing, I had read the TCR was pretty similar on SS's so I could taylor the toot well enough.
Future will be TCR play no doubt if (and probably when) I decide TC is the way forward.
Dammit, I don't want to write this but this could be the slippery slope towards a DNA mod.
Never bothered / looked in the past as I saw them as only worthwhile if heavy into TC.

Yes you can - click fire 4 times to enter the power adjustment menu in TC mode (according to the manual).

Oooooh, Thank you VERY much. :2thumbsup::bliss::imstupid
Had to crank the temp to 490 F but MUCH smoother / less pulsey delivery now.

Maybe the differences in the mods is down to TCR setting.
Will get to customizing / standardizing eventually.......

I run a Pico and a VTC Mini side by side as my daily vape mods, with atties rigged with SS316 claptons and NiFe30, both single and dual coil from 0.15 ohms to 0.45 ohms. Subjectively I feel the VTC Mini gives a marginally smoother vape, but I hold both mods in high regard for accuracy, reliability and build quality. I'll back up what red5 said about firmware updates. On both of these mods I've noticed differences when upgrading and, again subjectively, I'd say the latest firmware puts the Pico and VTC Mini on a par.

Back
Top Bottom