What's new

Steam engine question

Vaping Hamster

Postman
Hi All,

I have been building coils for a while now and although my results have been reasonable I am struggling to get the resistance right and end up doing it more by luck than judgement.

I am using steam engine which is pretty self explanatory but the one item im am being a bit dense with is "Total length of the resistance wires between coil and contact points"

Can someone explain this in a bit more detail for me as I cant work out if this is the total length of the coil once wrapped, does it include the legs once clipped and installed etc...

I know its probably a stupid question but I just cant seem to wrap my head around it.

It's just the length of your coil legs from the end of the coil to the posts once secured and trimmed.

between the coil and contact points ......

the coil is ... um, the coiled wire
the contact points I'm presuming is the posts

so.... between the coil and contact points, would be just the legs right? ... that's how I'm reading it anyway.

but if that's the case, then it won't really matter as 2 bits of straight wire of that length won't have much resistance anyway.

I had a similar thought a while back and remember changing the coil leg distance on the calculator from something like 2mm to 10mm and if memory serves it only made a marginal difference to the end resistance , my problem was by the time I had tidied up my coil on my screwdriver I had ended up adding 1/4 turn or so which did make a difference

Back
Top Bottom