What's new

TPD To Be Scrapped Says The Sun

If you believe any of the headlines in the red top rag, The Sun, then today may be a day for celebration.

Yesterday, The Sun reported that following the Brexit referendum a Whitehall "insider" gave them enough information to print a story that the TPD would be scrapped, following a "widespread review of Brussels bureaucracy".

Make no mistake though, this story only mentions e-cigarettes and vaping once and does not address the positive benefits of their potential harm reduction. The Sun's angle here was all about "the draconian ban on minty cigs", which could lead to people taking up smoking, and other agendas on the "list of “nanny state” measures the new government will review."

More on this here >>>>

Don't get me wrong, The Scum's reticence to get behind vaping (until you look at the E-Lites adverts at the back) is of concern, and I don't wish to belittle it.
But IF it's true and IF it applies to the whole TPD and not just minty fags, and IF it doesn't lead to the next bit of shitty legislation, then whatever the reasons for it, I applaud it.

And the thing is, The Sun have a large enough readership to be able to make lies into truth just by claiming that they are. It wouldn't be the first time (allegedly)

We shall see I suppose. It'd be nice wouldn't it? And with everything else the government have on their plates at the minute effectively policing it is out of the window anyhow.

Thanks for posting Grumpy. I normally go nowhere near The Sun so had no idea it's been published.

Thanks for posting Grumpy. I normally go nowhere near The Sun so had no idea it's been published.

Second that, kinda felt a bit queasy reading the actual article lol, it does just mention menthol analogues and nothing more - I'd feel more positive about it if it wasn't only the Sun reporting this ;)

IF it doesn't lead to the next bit of shitty legislation,

I don't think it would be a good thing. By the time it's fully enforced everyone will have worked out ways round it, and if Labour gets back in, who knows what they will come up with?

Don;t get me wrong, it made be more than a bit nauseous linking to The Sun myself.

@Lord Grim got it right above with, "The Sun have a large enough readership to be able to make lies into truth just by claiming that they are."

The UK has a long history of taking a ridiculous length of time to repeal outdated/plain fuckin stupid laws. The TPD will stay for a long time to come. I can't help thinking, though, with everyone chasing their own tails over brexit, actual enforcement may not be top priority. The obvious stuff may be enforced, TV/magazine advertising most likely will stop, but I think they'll be a bit busy to check forums for adds, or checking that every supplier was only using 10ml bottles for juice containing nic. Once everything settles down, they may remember about the TPD, but until then, I think things will just carry on as normal. :)

The UK has a long history of taking a ridiculous length of time to repeal outdated/plain fuckin stupid laws. The TPD will stay for a long time to come. I can't help thinking, though, with everyone chasing their own tails over brexit, actual enforcement may not be top priority. The obvious stuff may be enforced, TV/magazine advertising most likely will stop, but I think they'll be a bit busy to check forums for adds, or checking that every supplier was only using 10ml bottles for juice containing nic. Once everything settles down, they may remember about the TPD, but until then, I think things will just carry on as normal. :)
And that right there is the most sensible reaction to the whole brexit vs tpd [emoji2]

TV/magazine advertising most likely will stop, but I think they'll be a bit busy to check forums for adds, or checking that every supplier was only using 10ml bottles for juice containing nic. Once everything settles down, they may remember about the TPD, but until then, I think things will just carry on as normal. :)

I do agree with this to some extent, but I know that some businesses I've spoken to recently already have the 10ml bottle regulation sorted. We'll still be able to buy 30 and 100ml quantities, it's just the packaging will need to change accordingly.

We can cope with the advertisement regulations on the internet too:

"Likewise, blogs, tweets, independently compiled reviews (non-paid for) and e-cigarette trade press and trade to trade communications are all still permitted under the directive."

I assume forums like POTV and websites/blogs like mine are counted as trade press.

"Likewise, blogs, tweets, independently compiled reviews (non-paid for) and e-cigarette trade press and trade to trade communications are all still permitted under the directive."

I assume forums like POTV and websites/blogs like mine are counted as trade press.

I'm sure with some tweeks they could be made to fit the criteria. :D

Back
Top Bottom