What's new

Another "first" try and new RTA

Nice looking wee tank mate :). I really like the look of some of the mini versions of tanks, but with my circumstances as they are, it's just easier having a slightly larger capacity.

I was considering some SS ribbon and asked in the TC section about Ni200 as well as I was considering getting some, but @danb and @Tubbyengineer have put me on to NiFe instead as I REALLY like the whole TC aspect as you do bud :).

It just seems to give a greater control and you can dial into your preffered range, still blow clouds but not let your vape get super heated like kanthal can. The guys are saying NiFe is the most accurate for TC vaping, so I ordered some Stealthvape NiFe30 and some Vape Mesh Co (Crazy Wire Co) NiFe48. The NiFe30 has just bounced off the doormat but I'm not going to be able to build anything today damnit :(.

I've only tried a couple of ribbon builds, after 2 wraps attempting it on a coil master I took it off and finished it by hand, still didn't come out looking as good as yours did though lol. Mounting the coils is damned tricky.....tricky, tricky, tricky, tricky ;). Ribbon is definitely one of those materials that takes a bit of extra practice over other wire types.

Youre pretty bloody handy with your builds though, as always, nice job :).

Not hear of or tried NiFe but have some ni200 coming to see how that differs from SS.
From what I have seen on here and elsewhere SS seems to be preferable to Ni200 but that is what I'm using in the prebuilt crown coils intend to use when at work.

I have recently started using SS in Power mode (never tried TC) and I much prefer it to Kanthal now.

Not hear of or tried NiFe but have some ni200 coming to see how that differs from SS.
From what I have seen on here and elsewhere SS seems to be preferable to Ni200 but that is what I'm using in the prebuilt crown coils intend to use when at work.

The 521 tabs certainly do make it a lot easier in that regard too yes :). They're also a nice handy base to build on too :).

As far as NiFe goes, have a read here :) :https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ng/threads/ni200-annealed-or-tempered.116290/

I have recently started using SS in Power mode (never tried TC) and I much prefer it to Kanthal now.

If you have a TC capable device/mod it makes the SS even better. It's not hugely complicated so don't worry about that, it just takes a little bit of initial trial and error to dial in both the power setting you want and the max TC you want your coil to reach before your mod automatically throttles back the power. This can allow you to further customise your vaping experience and stop your vape from becoming super heated as can happen with non TC, such as kanthal at very low ohms that requires a significant amount of power.

POTV has a specific sub section for TC vaping. I've been dabbling with TC and SS for a while, but nothing serious. Since getting a couple of DNA mods however and finally finding some liquids I can vape warm (still not super hot lol), I'm getting into it more and more.

Thankfully there are some very knowledgeable guys that use the TC sub section and TC vape who have a scientific grasp of the whole process as well as a lot of TC vaping experience too. I'm a serious noob in TC vaping despite having been a vaper for over 3 1/2 years lol. So check that area of the forum out if you're interested :).

The 521 tabs certainly do make it a lot easier in that regard too yes :). They're also a nice handy base to build on too :).

As far as NiFe goes, have a read here :) :https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ng/threads/ni200-annealed-or-tempered.116290/

If you have a TC capable device/mod it makes the SS even better.

I've recently been using SS wire in power mode too.. May I ask how a TC capable device differs to make it a better vape?

*Warning* Your recommendation may lead me to purchase more vape related goodies... specifically an RX200s :D

I've recently been using SS wire in power mode too.. May I ask how a TC capable device differs to make it a better vape?

*Warning* Your recommendation may lead me to purchase more vape related goodies... specifically an RX200s :D

Using good old kanthal (or even SS) in straight power mode as examples, you can set the wattage to get you up to your generally desired area of flavour and vapour production but that's all you can control from your mod. Obviously, with certain builds as you may have experienced yourself, the vape can end up getting pretty damned hot, especially with super low ohm builds at very high wattage. Ya not gonna be pulling on that for long lol ;).

With TC, exactly as the phrase implies, you have greater control over the temp of your vape by setting an upper limit of the temp you want the coil to reach, at which point your TC throttles back the power being sent to the coil. Therein, giving you greater control over how cool or hot you get to vape :). It really does significantly change things for the better for this humble wee vaper :). It's another avenue into vastly customising your whole vaping experience.

There's no device (as yet) that can actually directly tell what temp a coil is at. Instead, there's some clever science behind how the chipset inside your TC mod and the specific TC wire you're using (Nickel, Titanium, SS, and more recently the more accurate NiFe variants) are able to tell what temp the coil is at by sensing the climb in resistance of your coil as it heats up. Some wire materials are more accurate for temperature sensing than others because of this clever science (TCR or Temperature Coefficient of Resistance):). I started out with SS which I've since learnt is the least accurate, but, I've really enjoyed using SS and I still do/will. I also used it in straight power mode a lot like you before I got some decent TC mods and switched to TC vaping as well.

If you're happy to spend a little wonga on improving your vaping even more, then invest either in a DNA 200 mod or a decent quality TC mod (such as an RX) and pay a visit to the TC sub section :). As previously mentioned, thankfully there are some very experienced vapers into the whole TC aspect that are engineers/scientists by trade who can help get you going. Don't get me wrong either, with a decent mod and a bit of reading you can get going yourself very easily indeed as I did. It's just really handy to have some peeps who do fully understand the science involved to help out if you do get stuck or have some questions :) :D.

I was going to start using Ni200 more to build with, but thankfully I asked which type of Ni200 to buy first and was immediately informed to try NiFe instead as it's more accurate for the whole TCR function/science to work optimally :). If you're not interested in the whole building aspect, then don't worry as obviously there are plenty of tanks available with stock Nickel or SS coils that are more than good enough for TC vaping.

Hope that helps :). Go on, scratch that new mod itch or it won't go away hehe :D.

Last edited:

Not that I am trying to help in your case of shinyitus but I have the Rx200s and it is a very nice mod especially for TC.

Using good old kanthal (or even SS) in straight power mode as examples, you can set the wattage to get you up to your generally desired area of flavour and vapour production but that's all you can control from your mod. Obviously, with certain builds as you may have experienced yourself, the vape can end up getting pretty damned hot, especially with super low ohm builds at very high wattage. Ya not gonna be pulling on that for long lol ;).

With TC, exactly as the phrase implies, you have greater control over the temp of your vape by setting an upper limit of the temp you want the coil to reach, at which point your TC throttles back the power being sent to the coil. Therein, giving you greater control over how cool or hot you get to vape :). It really does significantly change things for the better for this humble wee vaper :). It's another avenue into vastly customising your whole vaping experience.

There's no device (as yet) that can actually directly tell what temp a coil is at. Instead, there's some clever science behind how the chipset inside your TC mod and the specific TC wire you're using (Nickel, Titanium, SS, and more recently the more accurate NiFe variants) are able to tell what temp the coil is at by sensing the climb in resistance of your coil as it heats up. Some wire materials are more accurate for temperature sensing than others because of this clever science (TCR or Temperature Coefficient of Resistance):). I started out with SS which I've since learnt is the least accurate, but, I've really enjoyed using SS and I still do/will. I also used it in straight power mode a lot like you before I got some decent TC mods and switched to TC vaping as well.

If you're happy to spend a little wonga on improving your vaping even more, then invest either in a DNA 200 mod or a decent quality TC mod (such as an RX) and pay a visit to the TC sub section :). As previously mentioned, thankfully there are some very experienced vapers into the whole TC aspect that are engineers/scientists by trade who can help get you going. Don't get me wrong either, with a decent mod and a bit of reading you can get going yourself very easily indeed as I did. It's just really handy to have some peeps who do fully understand the science involved to help out if you do get stuck or have some questions :) :D.

I was going to start using Ni200 more to build with, but thankfully I asked which type of Ni200 to buy first and was immediately informed to try NiFe instead as it's more accurate for the whole TCR function/science to work optimally :). If you're not interested in the whole building aspect, then don't worry as obviously there are plenty of tanks available with stock Nickel or SS coils that are more than good enough for TC vaping.

Hope that helps :). Go on, scratch that new mod itch or it won't go away hehe :D.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain in full mate. A very interesting read!

The flavour is massively important to me and if TC helps me remain in that sweet spot for longer (habitual chain vaper) then I'm in!

Not that I am trying to help in your case of shinyitus but I have the Rx200s and it is a very nice mod especially for TC.

Cheers bud. I was looking at the 2\3's too but for me it's a bit of a gimmick... Why would you switch between a 2 or 3 battery set up? If I have a choice that offers longer battery life then that wins every time lol!

I went into my local B&M today and the carbon fibre Sigelei 213 caught my eye. Beautiful!

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain in full mate. A very interesting read!

The flavour is massively important to me and if TC helps me remain in that sweet spot for longer (habitual chain vaper) then I'm in!

Cheers bud. I was looking at the 2\3's too but for me it's a bit of a gimmick... Why would you switch between a 2 or 3 battery set up? If I have a choice that offers longer battery life then that wins every time lol!

I went into my local B&M today and the carbon fibre Sigelei 213 caught my eye. Beautiful!

Not that I need another mod but have also been considering the Sigelei, quite like the look of the black and orange aluminium one!

Not that I need another mod but have also been considering the Sigelei, quite like the look of the black and orange aluminium one!

It sounds daft but they just feel right in the hand mate. The owner did say there was a bit of poor form by Sigelei with their branding/advertising as it doesn't actually fire to 213W.

I don't know how true this is but either way it's inconsequential to me as I happily toot between 35-65W.

Back
Top Bottom