What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

First and second ever builds..

lewisab

Postman
Okay, so I got my Mad Hatter V2 today.
It's my first ever time building and rda so I spent some time on YouTube watching videos and then gave it a go.

It didn't go well.
One coil seemed to burn a hell of a lot more than the other after a few hits. Initially it was fine, and then one just seemed to die. So after taking apart, I saw evidence of this happening. As you can see in the photo one is a lot blacker than the other...

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1469910997.079318.jpg

So, I've just given it another go and this time I think I may have got it right.

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1469911023.512476.jpg

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1469911034.029965.jpg

Does anyone here have any advice? Any tips?
I'm using prebuilt 0.45 fused claptons

Also, what wattage is it safe to vape this at?
The first build come out at 0.31.
The second is showing 0.25.

If anyone has a link with ohms to watts I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Anyone buying prebuilt Clapton wire is well advised to wash it with hot soapy water and scrub with a toothbrush and rinse and then rinse again 'fore use. The stuff can be full of crud.

When yir making the actual coil, keep one end held tight and the wrapping end, treat it almost like you are trying to wring a chickens neck - you'll want a certain amount of pressure as you wrap it. I do hope that makes sense!

When installing, after an initial couple of pulses, re tighten down the screws. Another couple of pulses and a 'strum' then re-check the screws again.

I used to run dual 0.4mm cored claptons at about 35-40W if that helps.

By the sounds of it your first build went to pot as one of the legs of the non firing coil wasnt in secure contact with a post. Hence the higher resistance as well.

Okay, so I got my Mad Hatter V2 today.
It's my first ever time building and rda so I spent some time on YouTube watching videos and then gave it a go.

It didn't go well.
One coil seemed to burn a hell of a lot more than the other after a few hits. Initially it was fine, and then one just seemed to die. So after taking apart, I saw evidence of this happening. As you can see in the photo one is a lot blacker than the other...

View attachment 99112

So, I've just given it another go and this time I think I may have got it right.

View attachment 99113
View attachment 99114

Does anyone here have any advice? Any tips?
I'm using prebuilt 0.45 fused claptons

Also, what wattage is it safe to vape this at?
The first build come out at 0.31.
The second is showing 0.25.

If anyone has a link with ohms to watts I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I'd recomend gettin at least a decent ohm meter, checking for shorts before it gets to the mod is always better. A reader that can pre fire coils is even better. You can fit, check for shorts, pre fire/settle the coils, and wick on a solid base with no swappin on & off, before it goes near your mod. :)

One of the screws is sticking out significantly further than the other on the nearest post, photo 2 and 3. Are you using the same hole for a leg from each coil?

Maybe I'm being a newb and this is how it's supposed to be though.

For the first few builds try some 26 or 24 gauge kanthal it's a lot easier to work with and use steam-engine for all your working out before hand that's the way I did it anyway.
Get some practice to avoid hot legging, adjusting dual coils ect then try the slightly harder ( and pricier) claptons ect.

Back
Top Bottom