What's new

Fix a dodgy connection

wayne394

Initiate
I've had the same problem with 3, yes 3, Kangertech KBox mods. I have 3 because I bought them cheaper than usual on a special offer. I think if I'd just had 1, it would have gone in the bin when it went wrong. It went in the draw for spares, then the 2nd one went wrong too, etc etc.

I discovered that the problem was the little piece of rubber insulation that isolates and cushions the connector plunger that the tank connects to. The plunger 'floats' on this rubber. It's not spring loaded.

The rubber had perished, so the plunger was connecting with the body of the mod, thereby shorting out.

At first, I pulled the plunger up and out of the box with tweezers, wrapped it in insulation tape, then pushed it back in. Hey presto! It worked. So, for a more permanent fix...

I used heat shrink wrap for electrical connectors. It comes in various widths and lengths. I simply slid a piece down over the plunger, heated it until it shrank tight, then trimmed it off flush with the top of the plunger. Sorted! 3 working mods!

Back
Top Bottom