What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Coiling advice please

jude27

Postman
I'm not a novice coil builder and I have tried twisted 3 strand wire which I find rather a harsh vape (on 3mgs nic) and use tanks rather than RDA's and have tried pre built clapton coil heads and just don't get what all the fuss is about , in my experience I get a smoother vape using good old kanthal ( usual range between 0.4 to 0.7 ohms ).. I understand the theory of more suface area / more heat > more taste and bigger clouds .I figure that I must be doing something not quite right. My usual builds are 24g/ 26g kanthal round a 2.5 to 3 mm jig ( depending on deck size) and this gives a pretty good vape. I have tried native wicks , cotton bacon and mugi cotton and there is no appreciable difference in taste. I have all regulated mods , from 75 watts up to 220 watt ranges, and moonshot, griffin limitless rdta,Crius, morph tanks,cleito and the innokin isub v along with a couple of sense herakles and hydra. So what am I doing wrong? Would I be better getting prewound clapton wire and wrapping in myself? If so , who is the most reliable supplier? Any advice you can offer will be appreciated .

You have tried a bunch of coils and wicks, and found what you like.
I think what you are doing wrong is thinking that other people are somehow doing things better.

It just seems that it's all fused clapton this and spaced clapton that and I'm thinking with all the hype there must be something I'm missing out on ( and I hate that lol) I never really got temp control either though! Its that thought that there is something out there somewhere that will lead me to the perfect vape, and if I don't understand something , I will ask questions

There's 2 things it could be 1) every coil variety you have tried has been bad or 2) you've found what you like already - don't torture yourself lol.

Having said that there is a world of difference between a Clapton coil head and a proper fused Clapton/clapton build for a RDA/RTA/RDTA/YMCA/BFG/WWF type atty.

Its the old thing, horses for courses

There's 2 things it could be 1) every coil variety you have tried has been bad or 2) you've found what you like already - don't torture yourself lol.

Having said that there is a world of difference between a Clapton coil head and a proper fused Clapton/clapton build for a RDA/RTA/RDTA/YMCA/BFG/WWF type atty.

Its the old thing, horses for courses

I must agree, since I started building my own coils in aero tanks etc (many moons ago) I found even my worst ones were better than the stock one So what would you recommend

@jude27 i'm no expert but this i have found and thats; you could build and wick a coil one day and it will be absolutely spot bang on and then another build and wick to the same spec and its CRAP, and that could all be down to lengh of legs, hight above air hole, how tightly the cotton is inside coil, and also the juice does play a part in it all... One perfect build could be amazing in one tank but crap in another tank, me what i do is, if i'm really happy with the build i have in a tank then when its time to rebuild it then i closely check dia; and wraps then build coil to that spec again..... Like i said i'm no expert... But there is on here.... Questions questions.. Thats what POTV is for bud [emoji6]

@jude27 i'm no expert but this i have found and thats; you could build and wick a coil one day and it will be absolutely spot bang on and then another build and wick to the same spec and its CRAP, and that could all be down to lengh of legs, hight above air hole, how tightly the cotton is inside coil, and also the juice does play a part in it all... One perfect build could be amazing in one tank but crap in another tank, me what i do is, if i'm really happy with the build i have in a tank then when its time to rebuild it then i closely check dia; and wraps then build coil to that spec again..... Like i said i'm no expert... But there is on here.... Questions questions.. Thats what POTV is for bud [emoji6]

Thanks Joe done the same myself and thought wtf it was good last time, I thought I was a pretty capable coiler (not great but ok) still got plenty to learn as I said if I don't understand I'll ask

Thanks Joe done the same myself and thought wtf it was good last time, I thought I was a pretty capable coiler (not great but ok) still got plenty to learn as I said if I don't understand I'll ask

Ask away [emoji106]

I'm not a novice coil builder and I have tried twisted 3 strand wire which I find rather a harsh vape (on 3mgs nic) and use tanks rather than RDA's and have tried pre built clapton coil heads and just don't get what all the fuss is about , in my experience I get a smoother vape using good old kanthal ( usual range between 0.4 to 0.7 ohms ).. I understand the theory of more suface area / more heat > more taste and bigger clouds .I figure that I must be doing something not quite right. My usual builds are 24g/ 26g kanthal round a 2.5 to 3 mm jig ( depending on deck size) and this gives a pretty good vape. I have tried native wicks , cotton bacon and mugi cotton and there is no appreciable difference in taste. I have all regulated mods , from 75 watts up to 220 watt ranges, and moonshot, griffin limitless rdta,Crius, morph tanks,cleito and the innokin isub v along with a couple of sense herakles and hydra. So what am I doing wrong? Would I be better getting prewound clapton wire and wrapping in myself? If so , who is the most reliable supplier? Any advice you can offer will be appreciated .
Just since I didn't see anyone ask or you state, what is your pg/vg ratio? And.. when you get that harsh vape.. have you noticed your cotton turning brown, indicating a burning? I'm vaping at 100w-200w using 3mg juice 20/80 pg/vg. The only time it gets "harsh" is when I don't have my wick "core" tight enough. (the part inside the coil) Tighter core=harder to burn the cotton. Aside from that, sometimes I do get to much vapor, kind of like breathing in water. LOL. But I figure that is just something to get used to. Anyway.. pg gives more of a throat hit than vg, so higher pg would be harsher. It is great when you are trying to quit smoking, but not so great when you try to chase clouds. I'm just starting some DIY ejuice. 100% vg, 0mg nicotine. That is just for clouds and trying to make those GD Os. *curse you Jason and your stupid jellyfish*

Back
Top Bottom