What's new

Increase of Fake LG HG2's

Ben fogstar

Premium Vendor
With the LG HG2 going through a rare spell again, we've noticed the increase in fakes rise over the last couple of weeks. We've been sent 5 cells so far from customers of UK local stores that all seem to be from the same batch - some included with mods.

We appreciate not everybody has the means to test an 18650. But visually, these ones are pretty bad. If you have a certified real cell to compare against. Its pretty easy to spot.

Things to look for:

Its important to ignore the white labels, as these aren't applied by LG Chem, these are applied by Chinese wholesalers to comply with United Nations law in order for them to be air freighted.

lglabel.png

The first thing most people do is compare the printed text. However, LG have used 3 different variations in the last 9 months, different fonts, density and size don't really tell us as much as they used to. So its best to ignore this difference.

The colour of the wrap is very slightly off. It's quite difficult to tell, but it is different - you can see a clear difference here of the real LG with an over saturated picture. Also notice the difference in gloss.

lgcolourdiff.png

Most real hg2's have a slightly lighter wrap line.

real-vs-fake-wrap-line.png

Most manufacturers have their own top cap design and stick without througout their models (There are a few exceptions to this) - You can see clearly the design is completely different. In design and texture.

topcap.png

Can you spot the real one now !?

spothtefake.png

I hope this helped somebody out there, we estimate that LG HG2 will be readily available again in a couple of weeks time as LG step up production, and fakes will start to fade out again. As always, we have plenty of stock.

*Were not here to name and shame any vendors, and we never will - however we thought it may be best to point out that these cells are not from POTV vendors.​

Last edited:
@Ben fogstar , nice to see this, would you say that the samsung 30q performs better than these lg batteries, As I've seen some data confirming this, with the 30q being under rated on the wrap and actually performing better than the hg2
cheers

@Ben fogstar , nice to see this, would you say that the samsung 30q performs better than these lg batteries, As I've seen some data confirming this, with the 30q being under rated on the wrap and actually performing better than the hg2
cheers
The cell temperature of the 30Q at 20amps is identical to the LG HG2. You'll see no real world difference between them. The 30q wins in my eyes, as its voltage is higher at 20a, with a little less capacity.

fakes are usually rewraps those batteries in the picture look like genuine lgs probably 2nd or 3rd bin rejects the way you can tell is lg is the only battery manufacturer to have 4 prongs on the positive

fakes are usually rewraps those batteries in the picture look like genuine lgs probably 2nd or 3rd bin rejects the way you can tell is lg is the only battery manufacturer to have 4 prongs on the positive
That is true, capacity comes in at 2200mAh - a re wrapped LG DA S3? I hope not - that's half the amps it should be. I was hoping they were he4, so at least the amps would of been correct and pose less danger.

Back
Top Bottom