What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Serious Question

Hey Folks,

again this is a serious question
ive been a smoker for some years and used to always blow hoops ect from time to time. and do the same now i vape.
i used to always smoke at the back door and now when i blow a hoop my dog has taken to trying to eat them!! lol (must like my taste of e-juice)
i must admit i thought that it was funny when he first done it, and please dont take this that i blow smoke in my dogs face this is certainly not the case. the dog is a spoiled lump and is treated as well as my kid, so i would never do anything to harm him.

the question is, is vape "smoke" bad for pets and children??
obviously there is left over nicotine in the exhale that could possibly harm him?

obviously if the dog done this with a cigarette hoop i wouldn't have found it funny and would do all i could to avoid the dog from doing this.

again please do not take this as me being abusive in anyway to pets, and this is why i am posting this to try and ensure i am not harming him.
Same as my cat, by the time the dog gets them.. there is nothing left of them to get.
Figure it like this.. 5ml to 1 tsp. 1 tsp = aprox 100 drops. Figure how many pulls you get for how many drops. Now estimate the fog coming out of you.. vs the fog in 1 ring. I don't think you need to worry about your dog starting smoking or vaping to curb any nicotine addiction. LOL

think it was the pg and it was something to do with cats.
Yeah, but it seems to me that study mentioned something like 4.5 oz?
Anyway, my fog doesn't bother my cat in the least. He just watches it drift around. If it bothered him, he would let you know.. cats have an "UGH..." face..

I am sure your dog is fine.
There 'may' be an issue with cats' livers, however. All evidence I can find is anecdotal at the moment. My cat has started sneezing, but he is old enough to go to the pub if he wants fresh air, and he knows where the window is.

Pg is poisonous to cats - their systems can't process it and it is no longer used in cat food. PG is still used as an additive in dog food as dogs don't have the same issues with it. Of course, as with so many things, if either ingested a large amount then that would cause problems.

Pg is poisonous to cats - their systems can't process it and it is no longer used in cat food. PG is still used as an additive in dog food as dogs don't have the same issues with it. Of course, as with so many things, if either ingested a large amount then that would cause problems.

So dogs are allowed to vape ?
Best buy him a mod hehe

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Quote (source) http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/propylene-glycol/

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and if ethylene glycol is present

Common signs to watch for:

• Severe sedation
  • Stumbling
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Panting
  • Disorientation
  • Lethargy
  • Metabolic acidosis

Propylene glycol is one of the least toxic glycols. It is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water and is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries for a wide variety of reasons. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol may be used as an antifreeze and can be found in high concentrations in RV and “pet safe” antifreezes. Since it has a wider margin of safety as compared to its chemical cousin, ethylene glycol, it is commonly used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or dog and human food products and is categorized by the FDA as a GRAS (generally recognized as safe) substance for this use. It is also used as a solvent for food colors, flavors and pharmaceuticals (i.e. injectable diazepam). Cats are particularly sensitive to PG and its use is not allowed in cat foods. Historically, some semi-moist cat foods contained up to 5-10% PG and cats were harmed by this (Heinz body formation).

If cats or dogs ingest large amounts of propylene glycol, poisoning can occur. This is most commonly seen when pets ingest liquid propylene glycol products.

Poison type: Garage Items

Alternate names: Pet-safe antifreeze, PG,

End Quote

So let's break this down a bit. Avg cat: 6 oz semi-moist food per day. (such as tender vittles) 6oz = aprox 200ml (volume) x 5% = 10ml. Say for maximium effect.. 50/50 pg/vg blend. SO.. 5ml pg per day. pg mixed with 5ml vg for 10ml vape juice. 10 ml is a whole bloody lot. But, lets say someone is using a dripper and actually does use that much.
You would literally have to put your cat in a box, but the box in a garbage bag and blow vape fog into the hose for the entire day, to get even close to 5ml pg into the cat. Now considering a small box, 12x24x12 (just barely big enough for a cat, and much bigger than your lung capacity) you would have to be vaping pretty hard and fast to get close to 5ml of pg into that cat.

Now also, given that we don't do that, and the actual volume of fog as parts per million in a full vape cloud.. that cat could literally stand in front of you all day tap dancing in your fog and never come close to 5ml of ingested pg.

Also remember...depending on the amount ingested and if ethylene glycol is present
If you are vaping ethylene glycol, the cat is the least of your worries. You'll be in a coma long before that cat even sneezes.

In other words, you can vape til you turn purple and that cat wont even twitch.. just don't feed it vape juice straight from the bottle.
Now, if the cat starts building coils and stealing your mech mod, then I would worry. Cat's have a hard time calculating ohms law.. its hard for them to hold a pencil with those little tiny 'fingers'.

Get someone that smokes to blow smoke in your cats face... the cat gets up and leaves, right? Blow vape fog at the same cat, and he is more likely to watch it drift by and stare at you waiting for you to do it again.

Can you imagine how many fog rings a cat would have to chase down and bite into to get 5ml of pg?

catvape.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 7 month old boxer and most of the time there is no stopping him haha. I dont think it will do any harm but still try and aim it towards a window just in case.
uploadfromtaptalk1469604332349.jpg

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Quote (source) http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/propylene-glycol/

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested and if ethylene glycol is present

Common signs to watch for:

• Severe sedation
  • Stumbling
  • Seizures
  • Tremors
  • Panting
  • Disorientation
  • Lethargy
  • Metabolic acidosis

Propylene glycol is one of the least toxic glycols. It is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water and is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries for a wide variety of reasons. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol may be used as an antifreeze and can be found in high concentrations in RV and “pet safe” antifreezes. Since it has a wider margin of safety as compared to its chemical cousin, ethylene glycol, it is commonly used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or dog and human food products and is categorized by the FDA as a GRAS (generally recognized as safe) substance for this use. It is also used as a solvent for food colors, flavors and pharmaceuticals (i.e. injectable diazepam). Cats are particularly sensitive to PG and its use is not allowed in cat foods. Historically, some semi-moist cat foods contained up to 5-10% PG and cats were harmed by this (Heinz body formation).

If cats or dogs ingest large amounts of propylene glycol, poisoning can occur. This is most commonly seen when pets ingest liquid propylene glycol products.

Poison type: Garage Items

Alternate names: Pet-safe antifreeze, PG,

End Quote

So let's break this down a bit. Avg cat: 6 oz semi-moist food per day. (such as tender vittles) 6oz = aprox 200ml (volume) x 5% = 10ml. Say for maximium effect.. 50/50 pg/vg blend. SO.. 5ml pg per day. pg mixed with 5ml vg for 10ml vape juice. 10 ml is a whole bloody lot. But, lets say someone is using a dripper and actually does use that much.
You would literally have to put your cat in a box, but the box in a garbage bag and blow vape fog into the hose for the entire day, to get even close to 5ml pg into the cat. Now considering a small box, 12x24x12 (just barely big enough for a cat, and much bigger than your lung capacity) you would have to be vaping pretty hard and fast to get close to 5ml of pg into that cat.

Now also, given that we don't do that, and the actual volume of fog as parts per million in a full vape cloud.. that cat could literally stand in front of you all day tap dancing in your fog and never come close to 5ml of ingested pg.

Also remember...depending on the amount ingested and if ethylene glycol is present
If you are vaping ethylene glycol, the cat is the least of your worries. You'll be in a coma long before that cat even sneezes.

In other words, you can vape til you turn purple and that cat wont even twitch.. just don't feed it vape juice straight from the bottle.
Now, if the cat starts building coils and stealing your mech mod, then I would worry. Cat's have a hard time calculating ohms law.. its hard for them to hold a pencil with those little tiny 'fingers'.

Get someone that smokes to blow smoke in your cats face... the cat gets up and leaves, right? Blow vape fog at the same cat, and he is more likely to watch it drift by and stare at you waiting for you to do it again.

Can you imagine how many fog rings a cat would have to chase down and bite into to get 5ml of pg?

View attachment 98658

Good job too, I have six cats living in this fog-hole! :D

@gbalkam you'r'e quite right, the very fact that they used to put it in cat food shows it's not a huge concern, and certainly not at vapour levels.

Last edited:
PG is used in air conditioning in buildings and cars. Just a heads up not to turn it on if you are taking your pussy cat to the vets.

Back
Top Bottom