What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

SXK Kayfun 5 replica

I've got the SJMY version on order from 3fvape, $28
I bought it so I can have a go at rebuilding. Hope I've ordered the right one because I want to build coils of between 1.2 and 2.0 ohms.
Haven't got a clue where to start at the moment but I've been googling a lot trying to find out what gauge wire I need and how many wraps etc.
If anyone wants to throw any advice my way I would be very greatfull. :D

I've got the SJMY version on order from 3fvape, $28
I bought it so I can have a go at rebuilding. Hope I've ordered the right one because I want to build coils of between 1.2 and 2.0 ohms.
Haven't got a clue where to start at the moment but I've been googling a lot trying to find out what gauge wire I need and how many wraps etc.
If anyone wants to throw any advice my way I would be very greatfull. :D

Personally, I prefer to build coils with a 28 gauge wire for the Kayfun 5. I've used thicker wires too, but with a tank like this I prefer a very fast ramp up time, and I get that from thin wire like 28 gauge. I'm building coils at around 1.0 - 1.4ohms in the KF5 and it's a fantastic vape at those resistances and between 12-20w. ;)

@davrog
Thank you for replying. That'll give me a good starting point.
I've just watched your review and was very impressed with the tank and your review. ;)
I may have misheard but did you say you used 26 gauge kanthal with 10 wraps to get a 1.1 ohm coil or was it 28 gauge as you just stated ?
Also, can you tell me what sized pin you wrapped it on ? 2mm, 3mm !
If I was wanting say 1.5 to 2.0 ohms would that mean increasing the number of wraps. I will try to use the steam engine! Site but was just curious whether it worked the way I was thinking :D

@davrog
Thank you for replying. That'll give me a good starting point.
I've just watched your review and was very impressed with the tank and your review. ;)
I may have misheard but did you say you used 26 gauge kanthal with 10 wraps to get a 1.1 ohm coil or was it 28 gauge as you just stated ?
Also, can you tell me what sized pin you wrapped it on ? 2mm, 3mm !
If I was wanting say 1.5 to 2.0 ohms would that mean increasing the number of wraps. I will try to use the steam engine! Site but was just curious whether it worked the way I was thinking :D

No problem Mick, happy to help. It was only a year ago I was learning to build, and others were helping me here.

I can't remember the build I had in the video, but the build I'm using now, gives me a lovely 1.5ohm vape and it's as follows:-

- 28AGW Kanthal
- 2.5mm inner diameter
- 8 wraps

The Kayfun 5 is so fantastic to build on, because unlike other Kayfun decks, you don't need to wrap the coil legs around the deck screws - you just slot them in at the sides of the screws and tighten the screws. It takes literally 10 seconds to get a coil on this deck. :)

This is an invaluable resource for building coils, it tells you exactly how many wraps you need for a given wire thickness, diameter etc :-

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Happy building!

My AFC seems a bit loose and moves around easily, is this normal for the Kf5 ?

Being an avid Kayfun user is the V5 ok for MTL I have read some people think the draw is too loose and don't know if the adaptor from Creme de Vape will fit the clone versions.

Being an avid Kayfun user is the V5 ok for MTL I have read some people think the draw is too loose and don't know if the adaptor from Creme de Vape will fit the clone versions.
Ive read that the fastech SXK comes with a 3mm air hole, but mine from Provapes is 3.2 and they should fit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom