What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Think I want a Genny

eightbitraptor

Achiever
So I started vaping with a Kanger Subvod, but I soon decided that I didn't want to DL all the time so I moved on to Kayfun's and MTL vaping around 1.4-1.8ohms which I really enjoy. I still keep a Griffin around for when I fancy blowing some clouds and whatnot, but above all else I'm after a nice comfortable MTL draw, a bit of throat hit and some decent flavour.

I've been doing some reading which has led me here, but I've never built mesh before, I don't really know anything about Genesis tanks but I think I want to try one.

What things do I need to be aware of? I know that they can leak and should be kept upright, but are there any other oddities that I'll need to bear in mind?

Is 28ga Kanthal ok for coiling them? I don't mind buying more wire, but I have loads of 28 around so if I can use that it'd be awesome.

What's a good, and preferably quite small, tank that's ok to coil for a complete beginner?

Thanks in advance folks.

I recently made the same decision as you - that I wanted to try a Genny. I tried a Nextiny and a Nextgen, with limited success. Looking back I think it was the high VG juices I was using, which are the most difficult to wick. I didn't want to up my PG. I was about to give up, but I thought I'd try a Le Zephyr. The logic being that I could use it with cotton if I didn't get on with mesh. This was my conversion. The flavour, vapour density, consistency and longevity are amazing. I received an couple of Origennys and an Origen dripper yesterday. Same as Le Zephyr...maybe better...

28g is fine, 26g is good too. 27g is tempting me. Get some #200 and #200sf mesh, and you'll be golden. You'll be amazed that after the initial building frenzy, you realise you haven't had to change the coil/wick for a month....then two...etc

Thanks that sounds ace :)

I've heard really good things about the Nextiny so far - what couldn't you get on with about it

The Corolla's a gennie type tank, right? Give that look 8-Bit, single coil, good flavour & vapour, looks cool, simple & cheap

Thanks that sounds ace :)

I've heard really good things about the Nextiny so far - what couldn't you get on with about it
The wick length is very short, so I struggled to get enough wraps to get the impedance up to 1 ohm. It seems to get very hot below that with the size of the chamber. It also suffers from condensation getting into the long airflow holes. Loads if people love them. I found them flawed.

I thought it was my mesh skills. But after Le Zephyr, the Origennys and Origen Dripper and an MCR303, I think it was the juices and my style of vaping only suits Gennies with bigger wick holes...

The SXK version of the Le Zephyr is something like £11 - good way to dip you toe.

Check out SKU 1743800 on Fasttech. I've been playing with the Tobeco version all weekend. Dual mesh wicks, simply stunning vape. For £3, got to be a low risk way to test out a Gennie. Probably cheaper than the mesh you'll need to buy...

I was kindly given a Kraken (not a recomendation, I am sure those in the know have better recomendations) by @Tubbyengineer a year or so ago.
It required a new coil so I built a new coil round the existing wick and It was my main vape for the next couple of months. I thought i better learn to build my own mesh wick and that went well, that was me happy for the next few months (beginners luck).

The next time I tried a rebuild I went through a bunch of wicks and coils, and many hours over several days and it was hot spot hell. I will return when I have time on my hands, perhaps this winter. If i can consistently do good builds on my Krakens I could see that being my vape of choice , but I do understand why some people think genisis are the best thing since sliced bread and others think they are the spawn of the devil.

I suspect that initially they are not for those wanting an easy vape but may well be worth it if you master it.

I was kindly given a Kraken (not a recomendation, I am sure those in the know have better recomendations) by @Tubbyengineer a year or so ago.
It required a new coil so I built a new coil round the existing wick and It was my main vape for the next couple of months. I thought i better learn to build my own mesh wick and that went well, that was me happy for the next few months (beginners luck).

The next time I tried a rebuild I went through a bunch of wicks and coils, and many hours over several days and it was hot spot hell. I will return when I have time on my hands, perhaps this winter. If i can consistently do good builds on my Krakens I could see that being my vape of choice , but I do understand why some people think genisis are the best thing since sliced bread and others think they are the spawn of the devil.

I suspect that initially they are not for those wanting an easy vape but may well be worth it if you master it.
Gennies are not the spawn of the devil - Even Satan has disavowed them for being "A bit too nasty for their own good"...:flames:

Loads of great advice in this thread thanks everyone.

This has made me even more certain that I want to try one [emoji14] I'm always up for a challenge.

I'll kick about on fasttech and see where I end up [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom