What's new

Think I want a Genny

eightbitraptor

Achiever
So I started vaping with a Kanger Subvod, but I soon decided that I didn't want to DL all the time so I moved on to Kayfun's and MTL vaping around 1.4-1.8ohms which I really enjoy. I still keep a Griffin around for when I fancy blowing some clouds and whatnot, but above all else I'm after a nice comfortable MTL draw, a bit of throat hit and some decent flavour.

I've been doing some reading which has led me here, but I've never built mesh before, I don't really know anything about Genesis tanks but I think I want to try one.

What things do I need to be aware of? I know that they can leak and should be kept upright, but are there any other oddities that I'll need to bear in mind?

Is 28ga Kanthal ok for coiling them? I don't mind buying more wire, but I have loads of 28 around so if I can use that it'd be awesome.

What's a good, and preferably quite small, tank that's ok to coil for a complete beginner?

Thanks in advance folks.

I recently made the same decision as you - that I wanted to try a Genny. I tried a Nextiny and a Nextgen, with limited success. Looking back I think it was the high VG juices I was using, which are the most difficult to wick. I didn't want to up my PG. I was about to give up, but I thought I'd try a Le Zephyr. The logic being that I could use it with cotton if I didn't get on with mesh. This was my conversion. The flavour, vapour density, consistency and longevity are amazing. I received an couple of Origennys and an Origen dripper yesterday. Same as Le Zephyr...maybe better...

28g is fine, 26g is good too. 27g is tempting me. Get some #200 and #200sf mesh, and you'll be golden. You'll be amazed that after the initial building frenzy, you realise you haven't had to change the coil/wick for a month....then two...etc

Thanks that sounds ace :)

I've heard really good things about the Nextiny so far - what couldn't you get on with about it

The Corolla's a gennie type tank, right? Give that look 8-Bit, single coil, good flavour & vapour, looks cool, simple & cheap

Thanks that sounds ace :)

I've heard really good things about the Nextiny so far - what couldn't you get on with about it
The wick length is very short, so I struggled to get enough wraps to get the impedance up to 1 ohm. It seems to get very hot below that with the size of the chamber. It also suffers from condensation getting into the long airflow holes. Loads if people love them. I found them flawed.

I thought it was my mesh skills. But after Le Zephyr, the Origennys and Origen Dripper and an MCR303, I think it was the juices and my style of vaping only suits Gennies with bigger wick holes...

The SXK version of the Le Zephyr is something like £11 - good way to dip you toe.

Check out SKU 1743800 on Fasttech. I've been playing with the Tobeco version all weekend. Dual mesh wicks, simply stunning vape. For £3, got to be a low risk way to test out a Gennie. Probably cheaper than the mesh you'll need to buy...

I was kindly given a Kraken (not a recomendation, I am sure those in the know have better recomendations) by @Tubbyengineer a year or so ago.
It required a new coil so I built a new coil round the existing wick and It was my main vape for the next couple of months. I thought i better learn to build my own mesh wick and that went well, that was me happy for the next few months (beginners luck).

The next time I tried a rebuild I went through a bunch of wicks and coils, and many hours over several days and it was hot spot hell. I will return when I have time on my hands, perhaps this winter. If i can consistently do good builds on my Krakens I could see that being my vape of choice , but I do understand why some people think genisis are the best thing since sliced bread and others think they are the spawn of the devil.

I suspect that initially they are not for those wanting an easy vape but may well be worth it if you master it.

I was kindly given a Kraken (not a recomendation, I am sure those in the know have better recomendations) by @Tubbyengineer a year or so ago.
It required a new coil so I built a new coil round the existing wick and It was my main vape for the next couple of months. I thought i better learn to build my own mesh wick and that went well, that was me happy for the next few months (beginners luck).

The next time I tried a rebuild I went through a bunch of wicks and coils, and many hours over several days and it was hot spot hell. I will return when I have time on my hands, perhaps this winter. If i can consistently do good builds on my Krakens I could see that being my vape of choice , but I do understand why some people think genisis are the best thing since sliced bread and others think they are the spawn of the devil.

I suspect that initially they are not for those wanting an easy vape but may well be worth it if you master it.
Gennies are not the spawn of the devil - Even Satan has disavowed them for being "A bit too nasty for their own good"...:flames:

Loads of great advice in this thread thanks everyone.

This has made me even more certain that I want to try one [emoji14] I'm always up for a challenge.

I'll kick about on fasttech and see where I end up [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom