What's new

TPD 2ml tanks loophole

schnauzer

Initiate
I am new to this forum and have been vaping for 1 month now - there is no going back to cigarettes!

I was reading today about the new TPD law which might come into force this year. What particularly concerned me is limitation of tanks to be up to 2mls and no more.

My question is if people think they really can outlaw tanks over 2mls when the law specifically refers to nicotine. It should technically be possible to be able to continue to buy large tanks if they are bought to vape non nicotine products - i.e 0% nicotine e juice.

"Member States shall ensure that:

(a) nicotine-containing liquid is only placed on the market in dedicated refill containers not exceeding a volume of 10 ml, in disposable electronic cigarettes or in single use cartridges and that the cartridges or tanks do not exceed a volume of 2 ml; "

Your thoughts?

The simplest thing would be to stick a label on them saying "Not to be used for liquids containing nicotine", but there are many potential uses for atomisers.

Or we will all have a new found hobby in collecting portable aromatherapy diffusers

Yeah and when someone sells you a 5ml tank, he or she can say to you - you arent allowed to put nicotine in this but people were doing so quite safely for years until the European TPD came in - stressing the word European with a stupid tone and with a wink of the eye :)

Its crazy - they dont want accidents happening when refilling yet if they get their way they are going to have people refilling twice a day instead of once.

Last edited:
Can they not just create tanks so that you can stack them, thus creating bigger tanks? :D

2ml + 2ml + 2ml + 2ml + 2ml = 10ml :D

Yup, loads of ways around it. Soon the games will commence :D Trading Standards won't know what's hit them!

I just wish that if they are going to create a law they could do it sensibly.

I agree with the new law that e liquids should be lab checked (we all want to know what we are putting into our lungs) and that cheap products with exploding batteries should be banned. And I agree that tanks should have a child proof safety mechanism for opening it up - that makes more sense than limiting tanks to 2mls, as 2mls could still kill someone if swallowed.

And if they get to the point that they want to put an excise duty on liquid nicotine I hope that they do it in a way that is fair. If ecigs are 95% safer than cigarettes then surely any tax should be 95% less than what they put on a packet of cigarettes. If they ever do start putting massive excise duties on liquid nicotine it would confirm to everyone that all along they have been more concerned about tax revenue as opposed to saving people's lives.

Last edited:
I think it's clear that they are more concerned about tax revenues than saving people's lives. Vaping is cutting a big hole in the Governments tax take. They will want it back. Tax on nic is about the only thing they can try. Here's a route for success in terms of taxation:

1) Regulate the market
2) Levy a tax on the market

So they are almost half way there!

Back
Top Bottom