What's new

TC accuracy and wire selection

That sounds like you're asking me to check for shorts. My Mod has short detection so its not shorted that's for sure. I've rebuilt with a 0.78ohms single coil and TC works perfectly now (also changed from 317L to 316L). I'm guessing I really do need a higher resistance TC coil.
If @Tubbyengineer asked me to check, I'd check. He's the resident guru here, well worth listening to.

I AM asking you to check for shorts, Your mod may have short circuit protection - it's almost useless in this case - it only looks for hard shorts less than 0.01 resistance. If there is something shorting out a coil partway along or not a hard short it can hold the resistance change down to a level that the mod can't work with, thus tricking it into thinking it's not a TC Wire...

Thanks for the clarification. I've learnt something new. Will check this out.

Thanks for the clarification. I've learnt something new. Will check this out.
Don't worry aboout it- this shit still happens to me and I'm supposed to know what I'm doing...:D
If you're getting problems with TC and don't have a clue where it's going wrong start by checking the actual resistance against what Steam engine says it should be, I've found it's often helped...

Got myself some Nife30 to get away from NI200, am I better using spaced or micro coils with Nife?
You can use contact coils with Niffy but it can sometimes "lose" a wrap - so probably best to stick with spaced coils until you're really sure about working with it...

You can use contact coils with Niffy but it can sometimes "lose" a wrap - so probably best to stick with spaced coils until you're really sure about working with it...
Can explain that? Lose a wrap? You mean one of the outside wraps doesnt hear properly?? Or it pops the coil??

Can explain that? Lose a wrap? You mean one of the outside wraps doesnt hear properly?? Or it pops the coil??
It shorts out between the individual wraps - and one refuses to heat up...
It could be any one of them anywhere in the coil...

It shorts out between the individual wraps - and one refuses to heat up...
It could be any one of them anywhere in the coil...
Ok. I sometimes used to get that with NiFe48 but its usually one of the end wraps! Now I always lightly torch the coils first before strapping them on the deck. Seems to cure the problem. Light pulsing/squeezing/stroking/strumming/praying and good to go!

You using SV 30 or Resistherm btw??

Cheers

steve

I'm using a mix of wires depending on how I feel, but I use Stealthvape for all my wires be it NiFe30, Titanium, SS316L, Ni200 or Kanthal

I'm using a mix of wires depending on how I feel, but I use Stealthvape for all my wires be it NiFe30, Titanium, SS316L, Ni200 or Kanthal

Ok. The reason I asked is that Resistherm has very different properties to the stealthvape wire. Inferior in my humble opinion..

Back
Top Bottom