Postman
First the pictures...
IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg
Wee voltage meter rigged up.

IMG_1614.jpg
Voltage meter connected to USB atty connection to watch for random turn on.

Ok Analyses so far.

This thing is that sensitive that I can turn it on just by touching the open end of the switch circuit just by touching it with my finger.

This is not good.

There is no dry solder and no obvious faulty components.

Batteries are good and provide a stable output.

Printed board is shoddy to say the least, with holes and mistakes that have been remedied by adding jumper wires.

My workaround idea so far is to fit a sub miniature micro switch inside that is activated when pressing firing button.
This will break negative connection going to 510 outlet.

This will render the use as a ancillary power supply unavailable.

Worry is the amount of Amps that will be drawn through afore mentioned micro switch, as the sub miniature ones are hard to come by, expensive and also i can find no data sheet on them.
Expensive trial and error.

Will take a while for an update due to postage of switch due to Easter holidays.

Will keep you all informed.

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I've decided I would be safer using a mini reed switch.
Will be a tight squeeze, although i believe i can make it fit with some modding of case.

If this fits, item will be safe as it cannot self fire without switch being pressed. This in turn will activate unit and also reed switch, allowing negative connection to connector.

Bonus is i can collect switch tomorrow.

Cheers,

Update.

This is the biggest piece of **** I have ever worked on.

The way it has been designed is nothing short of ridiculous.

It could have been so great as well.

Boards attached to other boards only by ribbons of printed circuit board strips. Several of these have falling off even under there own weight.

Wires joining random places on board to others.

Switches that apparently have no input supply of any sort + or - but when pressed turn on device? WTF how is this even possible? Static? Cross talk? Paul Daniels?

This is fit for nothing more than the bin.

Sorry but I've never wasted so much time on something so useless.

My advise, if there is a new unit that comes out and its not re-designed from the ground up, then do not touch it.

Even if it worked 100% from the get-go , in its current state I doubt very much if it would have stayed working for very long.

I apologize if I upset anyone with this info that is involved in the production of this unit or resale, however I believe my frustrations have been made clear in examining this unit.

I can see no use in using any parts for a mod of any type, as there would be almost nothing of any use apart from a couple of hefty batteries that are too big to make anything pretty.

End of rant. LOL

Well that's why they were a disaster from the get go, if there's is nothing of salvageable quality in them then please feel free to dispose of them at your leisure, I am not upset at all by your report, it re-enforced what i already suspected but was not physically able to check for myself, you have my utmost thanks for your time and effort spent on this project.. You Sir are a Star.

Great break down & report on this I commend your efforts.

Foot note: Must remember to show the misses this thread, and prove I'm not the only one who does this type of thing as she currently thinks I'm nuts tearing down brand new toys.

Is that an old PC 286 chipset in there ya know looks good but does little. Thanks for the head up noisysprings.

Simon

I would honestly be interested in seeing if the insides of this one are in anyway similar to the ROS V1 that eciglondon has announced... It would be (in my head) a great idea to be able to compare them both.

I would honestly be interested in seeing if the insides of this one are in anyway similar to the ROS V1 that eciglondon has announced... It would be (in my head) a great idea to be able to compare them both.

All he has to do is pull off front face with a sucker like i used (in photo).

If he then was to take a photo close up I could tell if it still has mistake jumper wires.

That would be enough to convince me it was same model re-badged.

All he has to do is pull off front face with a sucker like i used (in photo).

If he then was to take a photo close up I could tell if it still has mistake jumper wires.

That would be enough to convince me it was same model re-badged.

Send him a PM mate and see if he would be willing to do this?

Back
Top Bottom