What's new

Coiling with SS

I tend to use 316L, as this is what most devices come standard to support-but with most mods that do SS, you can adjust TCR anyway.

At first, I did find better results with SS317L, but now 316L is working great, and I have switched to that.

Now-this goes against everything and everyone else-but for some reason, 317L worked spaced, 316L did not-it was when I started making them contact coils that it worked for me. I know this is incorrect-but it is the only way I got consistent results with 316L-before it would kick me out of temp mode, or drop power so much there was no production at all.

This was even with custom CSV's for my exact build, down to gauge, wraps and leg length.

So-not saying it is the RIGHT way to do it, just what worked for me.

I have no idea why the incorrect way worked, but I now use SS316L with great results.

@conanthewarrior did you dry fire your 316L contact coils? I noticed similar behaviour. Wondered if different SS oxidises differently.
Yes, I did dry fire them, knowing they could be used in both temp and power mode was my main reason for switching.

I got all the hotspots out, and finally SS316L worked! After months of it not working how it should, I tried it on my newest mod, which was the Cuboid. It worked great.

It was then I set out to get it working on my other devices-I thought if a £40 device can do it well, I will be damned if my completely customizable, more expensive mods won't.

And, in the end, after all the different CSV's I tried, it turned out to be the steam engine one that worked best-that I had previously tried with spaced coils, and worked awfully.

I do also wonder if it is different alloys, but I can't imagine 316L would have THAT much of a difference, as to get graded 316L it must have to be similar to all 316L? Maybe there is a difference, that is all I can think of.

I got my SS316L from Crazywire, and also another roll from a craft shop. They now both work perfectly fine, not just in tanks but also in drippers, and I am converting the majority of my tanks and drippers to this wire type now.

I really like 316L. I also like claptons, but lazyness makes keep trying to find the same kind of surface area with less effort. I tried 316L/Kanthal twisted 26g - loving it on all my wattage only devices.

I
My ss finally arrived yesterday. Nice and easy to work with. Now to work out if micro coils or spaced are the way to go.

Anyone got a suggestion as to which ss tc mod to go for? I was thinking the cuboid.
I can't think of anything better than the cuboid. It is amazing for it's price-it offers performance of a much more expensive device at a fraction of the cost, plus has Custom TCR so you can use different wire types.

Also-it is the smallest Dual battery mod I own. I bought my missus one yesterday, as it was small enough for her-she is quite picky with mods, but liked the cuboid, so she picked a gray one.

Fantastic mod. I did do the upgrade to 200W, I wouldn't use it that high, I just did it to have the latest firmware-it is very simple to do.

Battery life is fantastic using 30Q's, also have used HE4's and 25R's in there and I can not say it is bad on battery life at all.

I hope you enjoy it :).

That's funny, I got a spool of ss to try and haven't managed to get it to function happily in tc mode. I thought it would be the Vape wire of the future if it can handle tc and wattage mode. Had just about given up on it. It kept jumping back into wattage mode when I tried it in tc mode, and on another mod it did silly buggers, allowing my one hit, and then cutting straight to temp protection every time I fired it, no matter the temp!
Shall dig it out and play with it again, may be just me being a moron! Wouldn't be a first!

That's funny, I got a spool of ss to try and haven't managed to get it to function happily in tc mode. I thought it would be the Vape wire of the future if it can handle tc and wattage mode. Had just about given up on it. It kept jumping back into wattage mode when I tried it in tc mode, and on another mod it did silly buggers, allowing my one hit, and then cutting straight to temp protection every time I fired it, no matter the temp!
Shall dig it out and play with it again, may be just me being a moron! Wouldn't be a first!

What thickness wire you using and what ohms and what mod you using for tc? I've only used 0.40mm so far and not tried a micro coil yet but find it works great using a spaced coil. 7 wraps around a 2.5mm bit comes out around 0.5 ohms.

A quick question about spaced coils....do others still dry burn them or is that just reserved for when coils are touching?

A quick question about spaced coils....do others still dry burn them or is that just reserved for when coils are touching?

I dry burn all my coils except ni200 and Titanium. Easiest way to get them glowing right.

Back
Top Bottom