What's new

A little help with my 1st RTA

CreamBean

Hello there,
I've recently purchased a OBS Cruis Duel Coil RBA tank ( https://www.naturevape.co.uk/obs-crius)
to go on my existing Knger Subox Mini 50W that I've had for about a year now (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanger-SUBOX-Mini-Starter-EDITION-Black/dp/B00ZS4YINI)

The new RBA tank came with some pre-made coils and come cotton and I've put them in and gave the cotton a good go and it's seamed to work quite well, only been using it for 24 hours now and the flavour is great! I'm running it at 35W, coils reading at 0.3ohm and the batteries I have are within the power limits I think...so I'm looking good holding onto my existing Kanger Box...BUT...
It takes about 4-5 seconds for it to heat up to where I can get a good ol' vape out of it. Is this normal?
I know there are a few factors that can come into it doing a bit of google'ing... different coils you can buy, 26 gage I'm thinking of buying, the amount of 'wraps' you do on your coil, the ones that came with and that I'm using have 4 I think, and some other factors also may be affecting it.

I now basically want to get a new box in the hope of getting a harder hit and a quicker, hotter burn.

So my questions are I suppose...

What is a mechanical box mod compared to a usual box mod?

If I choose a more expensive box mod, even if I run it at the same 35W & 0.3ohm I am now, will it give me a quicker ramp up of heat and a better, quicker burn?

Why when I see some non adjustable box mods, there just a box with a single button, why do they not specify what Wattage they run at? I'm guessing they run at a single Wattage and can not be changed but a lot that I see online don't specify the power. E.G 30W fixed, 50W, 75W etc....

Thanks guys and gals

Last edited:
First thing you'd want to try and increasing the amount of power you're putting into the coil, 35w seems a bit low for a 0.3 coil. Increase it in 5w increments and see if you get a better experience. Make sure you give it a few seconds before chain vaping in high wattages in case you get a dreaded dry burn.

Next thing to check is the firing pin at the bottom of the tank, if it's adjustable, try unscrewing it a little as it may not be making a solid connection. It's more than like non adjustable as most tanks are these days.

My best recommendation is to buy yourself a spool of 26ga kanthal, some cotton and a few screwdrivers and doing your own builds. Try a dual 6 wrap which should bring it to around the same resistance and see how she goes, if the resistance is too low for you, try adding more wraps and lowering your wattage until you get it right.

If you did want to move on, definitely check out the Reuleaux RX200 from fasttech. You'll have battery for days and all the power you could ever want.

There is a delicate balance when building coils. Thicker wire means less resistance (so more surface area to vaporise juice compared to a thinner wire build with the same resistance) which is good but more mass so takes longer to "ramp-up" to vaporising temperature.

35w is pretty low for that sort of build. On a single 18650 mechanical you'd be on at around 60w.

You don't need a mech mod, though, just something that can put out enough watts safely.

Temperature control mods (with temperature control compatible coils) should get round the ramp-up issue by chucking high wattage at the coil very quickly then easing off when it gets to the temperature limit you set.

The way to deal with big ramp-up on mechs or lower power variable wattage devices is to take a mouth-hit, keep firing, blow it out then take a "proper" hit. With your mod on full that might work for you until you get something with a bit more oomph.

+1 for the RX200.. fantastic mod but you have to use good batteries and look after them (keep them in sets you only use with that mod, cycle the order you place them in the mod and charge with a good charger).

Ive got the Reuleaux RX200,,,its the dogs BLX,,, power up the ying yang,,great batt life and a good old weight,,, use it on my dripper,,,
Its a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom