What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Steam Crave Aromamizer RDTA - quad coil build and much more!

@paganmaster I'm running 80/20 in the build I posted earlier, no dry hits even chain vaping and clouding more than Thomas the tank engine could manage at full speed. It just works, can't understand the issues your having. Are you packing the cotton over the juice holes or just lightly covering them?

@paganmaster I'm running 80/20 in the build I posted earlier, no dry hits even chain vaping and clouding more than Thomas the tank engine could manage at full speed. It just works, can't understand the issues your having. Are you packing the cotton over the juice holes or just lightly covering them?
Lol. Just lightly covering them. Maybe not light enough. I will persevere. I haven't had a tank beat me yet, and this thing isn't going to be the first.

Sounds like the coils may be choked with too much cotton ... have you used RDAs @paganmaster before tanks?
What are you using for wicking?

As above, I'm use 70 or 80VG standard.

Lol. Just lightly covering them. Maybe not light enough. I will persevere. I haven't had a tank beat me yet, and this thing isn't going to be the first.
Scrumpox put some very wise words about priming your wick which I found invaluable and that was...

Instead of priming your wicks directly by placing juice onto the cotton... you set your wick, put juice in the well around the deck and watch how your cotton takes up the juice on its own! Then if it doesn't wick well you can play around with it or worst case scenario, change it out without wasting too much juice.

@scrumpox I've been pretty much a tank person, although I'm getting into rdas after recently finding one I enjoy.

On the 3 builds I've put in so far, I've used both my usual organic Japanese and bacon v2. In terms of the amount of wick I've used, I've applied the same to this tank that I do in other tanks (cthulhu, Bellus, subtank, crius, zephyrus v2, lemo 2, drop, etc).

On my first build, I tried a rip trippers suggestion and took the vertical coils out to wick after I was happy they were ok, wicked them, stuck them back in.

I've got a feeling that I'm just leaving too much on the deck. I'll have another play tomorrow. :)

The RDTA is nothing like an RTA for wicking ... much more like an RDA. You can almost forget everything you know from the other RTAs.
If this is a choking issue then worry less about the tails, that's the easy bit, try a bit less cotton in the coils - make sure the cotton can move easily. The tails will then look after themselves (just fluff them and let them drape on the deck.)
By all means try the wicking test that @beastobadness mentions. Watch your wicks soak up into the centre of the coils, this can take a minute or two from dry. When the coil wraps are visibly wet fire it a few times and watch for whether the wicks reabsorb quickly. Then you'll have confidence that it'll work during a chain vape.
If the coils don't become wet again quickly, they are choked.
Final thought ... there should be no cotton directly beneath horizontal coils, ensure there's airflow all around them.

@scrumpox Thankyou. I was scratching my head with this. Your post makes a lot of sense now. I've been coming at this from the point of view that it's just another tank. Clearly there are differences between rtas and rdtas. I'm pretty excited now. I will update on progress.

Thankyou all for your help. :)

@scrumpox Thankyou. I was scratching my head with this. Your post makes a lot of sense now. I've been coming at this from the point of view that it's just another tank. Clearly there are differences between rtas and rdtas. I'm pretty excited now. I will update on progress.

Thankyou all for your help. :)
No worries, happy to help.
Don't stress about the pendulum swinging too far the other way ... you know what the symptoms of insufficient wick will be. Wick again if they dry and singe.
How's your eyesight? I have to admit, I watch all this happen under a magnifying lamp, you can see the juice droplets move across the fibres and coil wraps ... I really should get out more. ;)

@scrumpox lol. Eyesight is good, but maybe not that good. I'll try the wicking test. It will give me an excuse to dig out my grandfather's large magnifying glass.

I think we could all do with getting out more lol.

Remember this is an RDA ... keep topping up the juice well in the base ... don't be tempted to add juice to the deck or wicks.

Back
Top Bottom