What's new

Why tanks flood, or don't.

flibby

Initiate
And I know by asking this question lots of people will have had issues with flooding in their tanks, which is related to my question too.

What i'm looking at is the science of why a tank doesn't flood that someone with a far more scientific brain than I can explain. I can explain the inner workings of the legal world, but I don't have the elements to understand when a vacuum isn't a vacuum etc...

So as I understand, we have a glass tank on most devices now, subtank, RTA, whatever. This tank seals on both sides of the glass with an o-ring. Fine, I can understand that this creates the air bubble trapped in the top of the tank.

Then we put a coil in. A coil with two/four holes whether from the bottom or from the sides. We also have a chimney at the top, and air-holes from beneath.

In my mind casting back to childhood science, if I put a glass upside down in a bowl of water, the water in the cup stops the air from going in. If you put a cylinder, or a colander in a bowl of water, as we have with a airy coil, the water flows in...

So can any scientists/people with common sense help to explain this to me please? My Subtank plus vapes best when I can see air through the juice holes, so why doesn't the juice just flow in!

If the surface tension of the fluid combined with the adhesive bond to the wicking media is greater than the force of gravity acting on the liquid on the tank side, it won't leak

But in practice I just find some leak more than others :)

Biggest influence I notice is temperature fluctuation as this causes thermal expansion / contraction in the trapped vessel of liquid and air ( your tank) so the pressure variance changes between the inside and outside of your tank before, during and after vaping. On top of that the viscosity of the liquid reduces the warmer it gets

Because you only have a membrane (cotton) this pressure will slowly equalise, usually taking juice with it

I took mine on a light aircraft, and the slight drop in pressure at 4000ft caused my juice to piss out everwhere

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense that because we're not using water, the heavier VG based juices most of us use now can stick to the cotton, and I guess the air bubbles you see are from slight displacement when more liquid is sucked up by the wicks...

If the surface tension of the fluid combined with the adhesive bond to the wicking media is greater than the force of gravity acting on the liquid on the tank side, it won't leak

But in practice I just find some leak more than others :)

Biggest influence I notice is temperature fluctuation as this causes thermal expansion / contraction in the trapped vessel of liquid and air ( your tank) so the pressure variance changes between the inside and outside of your tank before, during and after vaping. On top of that the viscosity of the liquid reduces the warmer it gets

Because you only have a membrane (cotton) this pressure will slowly equalise, usually taking juice with it

I took mine on a light aircraft, and the slight drop in pressure at 4000ft caused my juice to piss out everwhere
its definitely this ^^^^^^^ ........................ or its the fact that shit just happens?

One in every 10 million e-juice molecules is wick critical. When he sees a shit wick he posts on the e-juice version of Tripadvisor and 9 million other juice molecules read it and decide to jump ship.
That's science, pal. ;)

Too hot near the coil so they fuck off out the tank to cool down

A vacuum is not a vacuum when it's been left in the hall for me to stub my toe on. Modesty forbids me from saying what it becomes, I shy from bad language.

If its air hole leaking 9/10 times leaking is the fault of bad wicking, not keeping the liquid in place and feeding at the right rate.

If its leaking from seams of the device then its more often than not gasket/oring/maching tolerances in affect not creating a seal and breaking the vacum in the tank.

If your tank leaks when tempreture changes then its a machining tolerance fault as the metal is contracting slightly breaking a seal on the tank and causing loss of vacum or thats what ive found on my vape travels

Back
Top Bottom