What's new

100% hand made (apart from the o-rings!) Tips

jim2110

Mod Maker
image.jpeg
Ola my Simian friends.....
So I have a new hobby/project on the go, which I would like to share with y'all....

A quick history......
I have been vaping myself for almost 5 years now and like most I am afflicted with the dreaded 'Shinyitis'. I would not like to discuss with SWMBO how much cash I have spent on kit, and this includes a small fortune on custom 'hand-made' tips. So - having been used to lathe work turning small steel and brass components for models, there came a point late 2015 I thought I would turn (!) my hand to making tips. And by this I mean both the tip itself and the 510 insert also.

So I bought some materials, and turned away. Was I in for a shock?!... These are tricky things to master! The acrylic part of the tip, being the 'artistic', and 'creative' half of the design is such a pleasure to work on. I know it may sound a bit of a cliche, but I genuinely do not know what shape the tip will be until the chisel starts working on it. I can start with an idea of what it will be but more often than not it will end up the way the tip wants to be, not me! But still incredibly enjoyable to work on.

The inserts though... now that's a different matter. This is the piece of the tip that requires no creative input. This end is all about maths, precision and repetition. I can tell you there have been many, many days and night where I have cursed and raged - but it's all about perseverance right? So months of trial and error... and error... and error I have finally worked out a way of perfecting these.

Having done my six month apprentice on Tip making, and added to my collection substantially, i have come up with the idea of passing along some pretty cool shiny bits to my fellow Vapers. For now, my current extra tips are acrylic with 6061 billet aluminium inserts, but I plan on my next bundle to have 316 Stainless Steel inserts. It's just about getting the right tools for the job!

Anyway - thanks for reading. I have included a little pic of some of the shapes and colours I have. TBH i have decided what would be the best way to offer them up for sale. Having been on the end of many a bun-fight for kit of all sorts I am not keen on a free-for-all so I might look at a Facebook thing, or a list.... I'll have a think for a day or two...

The pic doesn't show the colours at their best, but I will get better pics up of them individually. I would appreciate any comments on preference of the shapes however... there are some small, standard and wide bore in the pic.

Thanks for reading through my drivel amigos....

Jim

Last edited:
They look great. I'd love to see a few of them close up. Any chance of some individual pics? (Doesn't help that I'm looking on my phone!)

Excellent work. [emoji106][emoji108]

They look great. I'd love to see a few of them close up. Any chance of some individual pics? (Doesn't help that I'm looking on my phone!)

Excellent work. [emoji106][emoji108]

Thanks bud..

Will do - just got to figure out where and how to show them to the best!!.... I'm on it though

Jim

Back
Top Bottom