What's new

Are many wrapping their own Claptons?

moddin

Postman
I've not tried Clapton builds yet but just wondering if many people make their own?

Is there some kind of special jig or?
I would imagine you'd just need something to hold the core tight while you wrap the light wire around and a few hours spare!

Do most of you just buy pre made?

Got the wire, seen the vids, monkey see monkey do time, right? Nope, can't be arsed.
Youde Clapton wire is cheap as chips (but it's filthy dirty stuff so always dry burn it) .... @cloudcuckoo makes brilliant specialty coils at a very reasonable price ... it's covered.

Stainless claptons ... that might change my present mindset. But I'm happy where I'm at right now. The garage is ferkin fuuurrrreeeezing!!

Last edited:
Yup. Rechargeable electric drill FTW. Google for youtube tutorials.

I've not tried Clapton builds yet but just wondering if many people make their own?

Is there some kind of special jig or?
I would imagine you'd just need something to hold the core tight while you wrap the light wire around and a few hours spare!

Do most of you just buy pre made?
Making first claptons - it was a weekend of the best fun and frustration I had for a long time (I do have very shallow life) lol
I wasted so much Kanthal that it would probably lasted me a life time wrapping single coils for my mrs...
but since I got hang of it - it's quick and easy now :)

Last edited:
GrimmGreen's Youtube tutorial shows what looks to be the simplest, easiest way to do it, fwiw...

Cheers I will check out some of the youtube guides and see if I can make myself some clapton!
I've built up quite a selection of kanthal from stealth sending those free spools, be good to use some of the finer wire that's otherwise not got a use.

Cheers I will check out some of the youtube guides and see if I can make myself some clapton!
I've built up quite a selection of kanthal from stealth sending those free spools, be good to use some of the finer wire that's otherwise not got a use.
Much more sensible to use your spare wire and an old mod to construct a post-TPD Trading Standards proof electric fence around your house. :)

I'm looking to wire up a pair of chain mail gloves in case the rozzers fancy confiscating my 3ml tank.

Back
Top Bottom